close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The Asymmetry of Intolerance

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by happyguy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

The Asymmetry of Intolerance

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/the_asymmetry_of_intolerance.html

Regards,
    Comrade Happyguy :)

2. Let's think this through, because some things are hard to see through Christian blinders.

(I'll try to read the full article when I'm not on my phone.)

The assertion is that if Jesus was a mortal man it should be okay to quote Him at a public high school graduation, because He would just be another man.

Christians reject Muhammed as a prophet, so he was just a man, so you're cool with him being quoted at graduation, no different than Nietzsche, right? Everybody's cool with the teachings of Ellen G. White being shared at graduation? She was just a woman. Maybe a little Buddhism or Scientology? Again, those are also just the teachings of other men.

Remind me who is putting up inconsistent reasoning?

-ArtificialGrape

3. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    Seriously? Do you actually think there’s any possibility that people quoting Jesus at a public school graduation consider him to have been just a man? If that were the case, there would be no objection, but it’s not the case. Jesus is being quoted as a religious figure.

It’s not what people can show, it’s what the people quoting him believe. They believe he was a god (of sorts) and that’s why they want to quote him. If it could be shown that he was just another Messianic Jew who was executed as a troublemaker, I doubt anyone would remember him, much less want to quote him.

It’s funny that you think anyone who doesn’t agree with your particular brand of religion is an “extremist”.

4. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

No, what is funny is that you would try to paint me as branding you as anything. I simply posted a quote from the article I linked to. You painted yourself as the victim of being called an extemist, not me, not the author. Nice play of the victim card.

Further, if you had bothered to read the article before you thoughtlessly and reflexively posted, it would be clear that the author of the article isn't embracing any particular religion in his reasoning.

Much like the courts trying to divine what is in a persons heart when they try to apply hate crime statutes to criminal proceedings.

Sorry, just more liberal b.s. as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Consider this as your reminder. Your reasoning is inconsistent.

You also might try reading the article.

Regards,

6. You chose to include that section of text, so one would naturally suspect that you found it to make a compelling argument. I've already pointed out that is not the case. If the rest of the article is less compelling than the section you chose to highlight, then why should I waste my time?

How about you respond to my points/questions?

As far as false dichotomies, here are a few.

If evolution is false, the Christian Creation must be true.

If the Big Bang theory is false, the Christian Creation must be true.

Pascal's Wager: if you don't believe in the Christian God you're going to the Christian Hell.

Are those some of the atheist false dichotomies to which the author is referring? Oh wait...

-ArtificialGrape

7. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Because I did not post the article in order to stimulate a debate with you or Japle. You give yourself too much credit.

Put me on ignore if you like.

Regards,

8. Kilrain

Kilrain Señor Member

Apr 25, 2001
    On the road to Shambala
    If you didn't post it to stimulate debate or even, presumably, a discussion about it, why did you post it on a forum? I'm just curious........?

:dunno:

9. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    …and then 8 seconds later …

Noooo! You’re not doing any branding.

Sorry, just more lunacy from the far-out religious right! :tongueout:

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I posted it so the religious who occasionally swing by here might read it.:wavey:

I have no desire to argue with the others.

Regards,

11. ArrowJ

ArrowJ

Jun 2, 2004
    Illinois
    I try to avoid false dichotomies. Would it be fair to say that IF Christianity is true (as traditionally defined i.e. creation, fall, redemption, consummation) then all non Christianity is false?

Disregarding the OP and the hypocrisy Christians live in (after all, we are not perfect). Would you agree with the general idea that there is at least a somewhat unbalanced tolerance by those that proclaim its importance the most in America?

12. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    Then why did you post it? So you and other people that believe as you do (Incorrectly) can just pat each other on the back keep agreeing with each other in the face of significant ignorance? All ideals are welcome but you better be ready to defend it because we'll find the flaws in it pretty quickly.

13. You quote an article claiming atheist extremism, and accusing atheists of employing false dichotomies and inconsistent reasoning. I point out the inconsistent reasoning of the article quoted and provided examples of what seem to be some favorite false dichotomies of many Christians.

Given that you're unable to defend it, I'll just say that I merely posted it so that those that swing by here won't mistakenly think that you or the author of the article are making valid points.

cheers,
    -ArtificialGrape

14. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Sorry, your own bible says that Jesus can't be God. God is God, Jesus was his son. God is a vengeful and jealous God, and he is the only God. To believe there is another God, other than God, is a horrible sin. It's in the first commandment.

You must not have any other god but me.

To believe that Jesus was a God goes against the first commandment.

15. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    Ah so you're a troll. You do a drive by posting accusing those that disagree with you of being extremists and full of typical liberal BS as far as you're concerned and then you wanna run away. I see. How mature.

16. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    No no... you don't understand... they're three in one... that's the mental gymnastics they do to avoid admitting they're Poly-Theists.

17. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Can't defend your own intolerance? Attack religion. Weak.

Regards,

18. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Can't defend your own religion? Attack those with different opinions. Weak.

19. ArrowJ

ArrowJ

Jun 2, 2004
    Illinois
    IF one believes the Bible is true, I think the theology of the trinity is not that difficult of a conclusion to arrive at. Am I even dumber than someone that believes in the Bible, but not that Christ was fully God and fully man?

20. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Man, if even they can't understand their own bible, how is anybody else supposed to? :rofl: