close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

the apple really doesnt fall far from the tree

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by longtimelurker, Jan 10, 2014.

1. longtimelurker

longtimelurker

Feb 20, 2013
    A while ago I posted about Delbert "Shorty" Belton, The WW2 veteran that was murdered by Kenan Kinard. Kenan's older brother Jahvory Kinard has now tried to murder someone as well.

http://m.khq.com/w/main/story/107004366/

The father has had numerous run ins with the law including drug offenses, the uncle has had 75 failure to appears among many drug offenses, and now both children have either attempted or commited homicide. Just goes to show that the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    Chaucer was quoted as saying that the "rotten apple ruins its neighbors".

The Jackson 5 sang about it and they too were so affected in a way perhaps, with a bit of positive notoriety and money thrown in... as well as the negatives, of course.

My Dad always said a couple of things about raising kids, "Monkey see monkey do" and "You must tame the savage out of each generation". It may be that Chaucer and my Old Man were right.

3. walt cowan

walt cowan

Feb 18, 2005
    Absurdistan
    entire lines of family's can be found serving prison time together.

4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    some people haven't evolved from apes yet. they are that somewhere in between.

5. Jonesee

Jonesee

Apr 16, 2009
    Really?
    DNA???

You are going to have throw a legitimate citation up for that one or I call BS.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Damn. I could find some cites if given time.

Germans always want to take over the world. For 1000's of years.
    Greeks want to be taken care of. For 1000's of years.
    Scotch-Irish want to fight, for their right, to paaaarrrtttyyyyy. For 1000's of years.

(I forget who wrote it - Gladwell? - and was talking about heritage and how it affects us. Showed a relationship (note: not proven causally or through scientific testing) between scotch-irish heritage and the Hatfield/McCoy feud.)

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say DNA imbeds imbecile or murderer. But I think some traits are built-in.

7. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

Jan 16, 2012
    Rochester ny
    I think it has a lot to do with parenting or lack of it.

8. Jonesee

Jonesee

Apr 16, 2009

I wholehaertedly agree it is envorinmental. Which is what the 2 of you are saying.

But I do not believe it is genetic.

9. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    "WHAN that Aprille with his shoures soote
    The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote,
    And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
    Of which vertu engendred is the flour..."

10. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

Aug 3, 2010
    Nope. I have no doubt if these kids were raised by law abiding middle class parents they'd be just fine. But that's my own experience.

11. OregonG20

OregonG20

Sep 5, 2011
    Oregon
    I agree. Environmental/Cultural. I don't think it's genetic.

12. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    Muahaha

42 years later, I still remember that darned opening from English Lit class in H.S.

More Germanic than... I dunno, what I expected "English" to be back in H.S.

Back to apples... trees, gravity, distance, DNA (? really? :upeyes: not buying it myself. DNA is, well, DNA. Learned behavior something altogether different in my book. YMMV of course)

I was re-reading Rory Miller's Meditations on Violence last night and the phrase Monkey Dance kept cropping up in my mind. Drug dealing being bad business unless prescribed and even then at times, not so good. Illicit activity does not breed good Boy Scouts. But when you don't learn Chaucer in H.S. (get a halfway decent education maybe) or give a rip about anyone other than yourself... whaddyagonnado?

Sadly, crime does pay. Until you get caught. Or so I've read.

13. walt cowan

walt cowan

Feb 18, 2005
    Absurdistan
    you neither want nor can handle the truth.:wavey:

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    [​IMG]

15. longtimelurker

longtimelurker

Feb 20, 2013
    Please don't get this thread locked, keep comments civil. This isn't about DNA, this is about the environment the kids were brought into.

16. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    I will have to look for the cite. IIRC the proportion of XYY men in jail significantly exceeds that of the general population that has not spent time in jail.

It looks like later studies did not show that to be the case. I also appears that some studies were stopped by legal action.

In spite of Wikipedia (mediocre source) say that that there is not a correlation, it does not appear there has been any log term, broad pool studies done.

It appears studies trying to tie genetics to violent behavior are frowned upon.

I may keep looking for better sources.

Another sources with two different conclusions.

http://www.scienceclarified.com/dis...one-to-aggressive-behavior-than-XY-males.html

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  17. 44 YRS FOR ME:wavey: The only thing I think I enjoyed in English lit, well except for this one cute blond.