close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The answer to the caliber wars...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PrecisionRifleman, Oct 24, 2011.

1. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011

Lol love the post!

2. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    "Well now, isn't that a ballsy title..." :whistling:
    Lol.

3. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Dec 18, 2004
    California
    Would you mind making and posting a Vid of you "Driving nails" with that 22? :whistling:

4. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Me 4..

5. youngvr4

youngvr4

Mar 2, 2006
    seattle, wa

TRUE STORY: guy walks into my range and says

him: you got a glock fotey?
    me: a 23 a 27 or a 22?
    him: no a glock forty!!
    me: listen to what i'm saying, there's no such thing as a glock forty!! if your looking for a 40 caliber glock then its either a 22,23,24, 35 or a 27!!
    him: oh:dunno:

6. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011
    Hand cannon!

7. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011
    Lol that's awesome! Entirely believable!

8. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, there is an arguement for many rounds to be the best overall. I personally like the .40 for a "do it all" round. Thank God I don't have to choose! I have 9, .40, and .45 and like them all. Id like a .357 Sig, but its just too close to what the .40 is. Maybe I'll pick up a .357 barrel for my G22 if I find a good deal on one. Maybe a 10mm but only if I start reloading. I really don't have a use for one, as I don't hunt or spend time in the woods.

9. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Lol, that WAS a figurative phrase my friend. I'm not a competition shooter, and I'm not gonna pretent I'm some dead-eye crack shot. I shoot good enough to make me happy. 15-20yds, singles are all in the black. Double taps are what I'm still working on.

They never stray from center mass, but I'd like to tighten 'em up more. Getting there, practice usually twice a month, about 200rds a trip. Gets a bit tighter every trip. Good enough for me. :supergrin: I'll never win any trophies, but that's not what I'm after. Just SD.

But sure, I'll take the GoPro sometime, shoot some vid. Whatever tickles yer pickle.
    :wavey:

10. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    .40 S(hort)& W(eak) a "do it all round"? :eyebrow:

Nah. The invention of the .40 was a compromise to acommodate physically weak and/or incompetent shooters. 10mm Auto, on the other hand, can practically "do it all", depending on the way it's loaded. At its weakest, 10mm power is largely identical to .40. At its hottest, it exceeds .357 Mag and approaches .41 Mag power, and it's a rimless pistol cartridge, no primitive revolver required.

Another poster said something about shooting through 3 people, implying common and dangerous overpenetration problems with 10mm. That is a myth. Unless you're using heavy, hot, hard-cast hunting rounds for SD, you're not going to have any issues along those lines.

I can fire .40 S&W all day out of my stock Glock 10mm barrels, (and mags). Can you shoot 10mm from your .40? ;)

Imo; 10mm Auto "does it all", and .40 S&W is just a bastard child of this superior caliber.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  11. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Jan 5, 2009

And my cobra is only slightly larger than my friends miata.....but it sure does have more ass behind it 😜

12. post-apocalyptic

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    :rofl:

Well put.

Of course, when it comes to firearms, tiny dimensions matter a whole hell of a lot, even more than they do in automobiles.

13. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Feb 6, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    ahh...i hate contributing to another calibur war but oh well.. 9mm is fantastic because it is very low recoil and high cap...40sw is great because it has such a great availability and and is moderate recoil with good cap...10mm is great because it is powerfull for a handgun...but if you dont reload..you are going to have to spend a whole lot of money shooting and not have a great number of options for defense rounds...however my fav is the .45acp...there is just something romantic about shooting a "forty-five" IMO. not only is it sexy to look at ".45 auto" engraved on a pistol, but its just super easy to shoot and has a recoil all its own. Due to the low pressure, but high weight it causes damage equal to or greater than most rounds without shooting hot loads, therefore what you shoot at the range feels exactly the same as the defense JHP that they make. My load is 230gr gold dots, not plus p, so I have a great deal of confidence in them. My dad is a 9mm guy, and I know his plusPplus are just as effective as my gold dots, but you can definately feel a difference between his range loads and his defence loads, which is why I love the .45..you get the same thing every time whether youre plinking, training, or defending your life.

14. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Feb 2, 2007
    Gun Tot'n in Quohog
    10mm = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    9mm = $

Game over.

15. post-apocalyptic

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    I used to love .45 ACP... until I shot 10mm Auto. ;)

.45 ACP does have a long service record and is extremely effective against two-legged threats. It is pretty limited to that though, and isn't as generally effective as 10mm Auto, (10mm has the same energy at 100m as .45 does at the muzzle).

As for how much the ammo costs, that really does depend on where you buy it. I recently bought 400 rnds from Underwood Ammo, and while their new production 10mm is less expensive than even Remington UMC, (which is barely "warm"), it is close to full-power; 180 gr FMJ at 1300fps for ~$24 per 50. The more popular 10mm becomes, the cheaper good factory ammo will be. Do your part; buy a G20/29 and shoot that b1tch! ;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  16. I plan to do that... Now what?

Actually I saw a sweet G20 with a hunting barrel. Too bad Cabela's reduced it layaway program from 90 days to 60.

17. dpadams6

dpadams6

Jan 5, 2010
    The 10mm is a powerful round. My only concern is that there really is no modern hollow point in that caliber. Yeah, there is the gold dots, and golden sabers, but they were not designed for 10mm speeds. I'd really like to see a modern day bullet designed for 10mm speeds and see how it performs at its full potential. Until then, i'm sticking with 40 or 357 sig.......

18. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Im a huge 10mm fan, and I agree about needing a modern hollowpoint designed for 10mm energy. Id really like to see a 155gr hornady critical defense round made specifically for the 10mm!

Oddly enough, I was vacationing in Madagascar for Christmas 2004...I brought my 10mm with me. I was only able to shoot one round off while I was there though, I just pointed it at the ocean and fired....next day the tsunami hitting thailand was all over the news...