close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Allure of the 1911 Single Stack

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Alexii, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Alexii

Alexii
    Expand Collapse
    Janeway Forever

This had to happen sooner rather than later. I love this gun. I don't care what the detractors say about it being a relic of the dinosaur era. I have been reading an ungodly amount of material about this gun for 6 years now plus an almost daily up close examination of a WWII G.I. sidearm of an ancestor. Had no problem taking it apart and putting it back together again several times just for the heck of it. It's a confidence builder when you know you can disassemble, clean, maintain, replace parts, and assemble your pistol yourself.

Problems? I've encountered problems that wouldn't have occurred in the first place had the correct magazine and ammo been used. I've also learned that the less you tinker with the gun, the better off you'll be. I know one guy who welded the grip safety in place to make it more "shootable". One night he was so drunk and was on his way home. He removed his gun from his waist prior to entering his pick-up, not noticing he accidentally wiped down the safety in doing so. With his finger on the trigger, he created a very nice hole on the floor of his Frontier, and a serious gash on his lower left leg. At this instance, the alcohol level on his body evaporated in an instant. It could've turned a hell of a lot worse. He probably violated almost all of the safety rules, but what concerns us here is the dangerous modification of equipment. John Moses Browning knew what he was doing when he put these safeties in place.

This gun also has a history with us Filipinos. It was first used against our Moro brothers in 1912. I'd warrant a guess that the 1911 was designed for us (though we're at the muzzle end;f ) when the Americans' .38s fail to stop these tenacious fighters.

I'm getting one as soon as the political scene stabilized (read: after the elections) and assuming we don't elect a President who's dumb enough to think that guns are bane to peace and order.

Your thoughts, gentlemen.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. darwin25

darwin25
    Expand Collapse
    Make your move

I too would like to have a Single Stack 1911 for carry as I have previously owned one. Its a WWII Ithaca GI 1911.

I agree that the more one does modifications with his gun, the more dangerous it is. I think that one should only have a reliability work with his gun done by a good gunsmith. That's it. I have no problems owning factory stock pistol as long as it is completely reliable and have serviceable sights.

I like the Cocked and Locked carry offered by the 1911. Right now, I already earned enough money to buy me a new gun and seriously making a choice between a Tanfoglio .45(if I can find one or a mid-size SS 1911 Armscor or RIA. Whatever I get, I'll be carrying it only in C&L mode. But I'll be delaying my purchse untill the election has passed.

I would like to add that IMO, all single action pistols, 1911 included, all Selective DA/SA pistols without a decocker, CZs and clones included, should be carried Cocked and Locked. I do not approve of decocking these pistols by pressing the trigger while the thumb assists the hammer back to its uncocked position. One slip of the thumb is all it takes to have an AD. I have one experience of an AD doing just exactly that with my S&W Model 10. Bullet richocheted around the room 3 times.

Isn't it flattering that while the 1911 .45 ws concieved to use against us Filipinos, the martial arts, called Kali, used by our Moro brothers against US servicemen at that time is now considered the world's best real world martial art? A 1911 .45 and the martial art that has caused the need for such a pistol. Very good combination for self-defense, isn't it? ;f

3. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter
    Expand Collapse

sabi ko na nga ba nakuha ko rin kiliti ni Alexii, e!!!

I have a Para-Ord P16-40 and Bul M5 hi-cap .45 but I don't have a SS 1911 yet.

As they say, if it isn't a Colt, it's just a copy, so my first choice is a Colt Series 70. But since Colts are priced a lot higher than the other brands, I'd gladly settle for one. Probably a Norinco, Armscor or Imperial Defence (distributed ng PB Dionisio and I can get a good discount)! Magandang gawin project pistol 1911. Very easy to get all the accessories and parts. Like I said in the other thread, I want to build a SS 1911 similar to an Ed Brown Custom Classic, Springfield TRP or the Les Baer Concept pistols.

shoot safe and keep on packin'... but I won't trade in my beloved G22 just yet!

^c

4. Alexii

Alexii
    Expand Collapse
    Janeway Forever

Hehehe-- gusto ko naman gayahin yung Thunder Ranch Pistol ni Les Baer based on the New Rollmark Colt Series 80. I read sometime in the past about Clint Smith's choice on parts and specifications and I mostly agree with choices he made. He even explained why particular parts are better for defense over some.

I still prefer the Series 70 over the 80 though.;)

5. Saruman

Saruman
    Expand Collapse
    I carry a GLOCK

doc, ithaca ko di ba papasa sayo?? hehehe;f ;f

6. revo

revo
    Expand Collapse

I shoot my Glocks more than any of my other handguns
    but the reality is that no other handgun (Glocks
    included) can outshoot a well-tuned 1911 pistol.

I have a bunch of 1911 pistols and among them are
    two Series 70 Colts. One of them, a Colt Combat
    Commander. is such a joy to shoot and play with.

7. mc_oliver

mc_oliver
    Expand Collapse

Simple lang pangarap ko. Either Armscor o Norinco na 1911 SS, sana mahulog mula sa langit kahit tamaan ako sa ulo. ;f

I realized I didn't really need to sell my 1911 SS para makakuha ng Armscor widebody. Sayang. Next project ko 'to, pang-laro and carry.

8. doctabako

doctabako
    Expand Collapse
    Gun Aficionado

Guys, can you suggest a good gunsmith,preferably one that does good work without costing an arm and a leg. I do prefer my guns stock but ever since I succumbed to the allure of my polymer pistols(Glock 30 and USP45), my Norinco 1911 has been neglected and I've sort of decided to dress it up(the only part I've replaced is the cheap plastic grips). Its a very reliable piece and hasn't failed me, but you know how it is with us gun lovers:)

9. New_comer

New_comer
    Expand Collapse

If I were to get a keeper SS 1911, I'd choose the STI Trojan
    over Colt

I've read a lot of flak about the latter, most were QC issues... ;g

But I can settle for the IDS Ranger if resources are tight. ;)

10. homogenizer

homogenizer
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. DQ

Aahh, the 1911 single stack, if my funds permits I like to get one next year, probably an Armscor brand. ;e "tangkilikin ang produktong Pinoy!"

11. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter
    Expand Collapse

cosmetic upgrades, custom parts, one-off fabrications and general gunsmithing I go to Tony Pascual's shop. Slide-to-Frame and Barrel fitting kay Mang Delfin ng First Option sa West Ave.

12. doctabako

doctabako
    Expand Collapse
    Gun Aficionado

Eye Cutter,
    I got to talk to Mr. Pascual last gun show and he does seem to know his craft, if I remember what he said correctly, his shop is near Welcome Rotonda right? Here in Batangas, I've heard some shooters talk about a certain gun smith (not sure how you spell it)named Metrillo? or Met Rillo or something that sounds like that who lives somewhere near Paranaque, is he any good? Thanks for the reply, will check them out one of these days:)

13. rhino465

rhino465
    Expand Collapse

Ah, finally!

If I'm awake and not in the shower, I have at least one 1911-pattern gun on my person. If I'm asleep, they are beside me.

John M. Browning was clearly a genius and the 1911 was his greatest work!

The Key Reasons Why 1911s Rule!

1. The trigger . . . easiest to shoot well
    2. Can be adapted to just about any hand size
    3. Rugged (I have one that had close to a 250K rounds
    through it BEFORE I bought it ... a customized Colt)
    4. Reliable . . . once you get one working, it will really run.
    5. Inherent accuracy
    6. Easy to carry and conceal because they are thin

I could go on!

14. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter
    Expand Collapse

From the Welcome Rotonda, turn at Mayon street and left at either P. Florentino or Dapitan. Baco st. is the 5th St. from Mayon.

I don't know where the shop of Mr. Metrillo is.

15. paltik45

paltik45
    Expand Collapse

Before hand I would like to inform you that I AM NOT CONNECTED OR RELATED TO THIS SHOP. When I just a green apple in the shooting community I used to hang around outdoor shooting ranges back there in Laguna. Since I only got a very thin budget for this sport, it motivates me to do a lot of asking around specialy the TOP shooters. They pointed me to the METRILLO BROTHERS at Merville, Paranaque. They are customer oriented gunsmith and they priced their services pretty reasonably. I really missed their work specially the slide fitting and glides like a glass. ;f I learned a lot of things from them and I've been using it here in the USA on my own pistols. Custom pistol work here can couse you an ARM AND LEG plus your house.:)
    One last word STAY AWAY FROM ART LANTIN hangang pang-display lang ang mga baril nya. But if you want your gun to be an expensive paper weight he is the right guy.;e

16. JuDGe

JuDGe
    Expand Collapse

Grabe nga ang pricing sa Lantin.... OVER!;f

17. mc_oliver

mc_oliver
    Expand Collapse

I was suppose to try Metrillo din kasi mukhang okay yung trigger work nila sa FEG ng officemate ko. However, meron ako'ng kilala na isang open shooter na nagpagawa yata from the ground up (kilala rin ni Ivan 'to). Masama experience nya raw.

And since yung multi-awarded;f 1911 ko eh gawa ni Col Bayang, dun na rin uli ako kay Col nagpagawa for my recent widebody investment. Besides mas malapit pa sa akin.

;)

18. doctabako

doctabako
    Expand Collapse
    Gun Aficionado

Thanks a lot guys, as usual you've been a big help. My apologies to Alexii for this intrusion on his thread "nakisingit lang". :)

19. jasonub

jasonub
    Expand Collapse

i love my 1911, its the only pistol i have right now.

Ill rebuy an hk usp45 when we can carry pistols again.
    My 1911 has a 1.5 pound pull or so:)

20. jasonub

jasonub
    Expand Collapse

ooopss i dont have a single stack:) :) :) my 1911 is double stacked and for competitions only