The .40 sucks.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by OctoberRust, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBMW

Picking on one line in a long post, but....

Where in the US do you have trouble getting .40? This is now the dominent LE round in this country and is very widely available (here. Out of the country is another subject.)

In point of fact, with the panic horde buying that happens occasionally, .40 tends to be available when 9mm gets bought out.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. lowflyer

lowflyer Capitalist

That has been my experience as well. My local range has plenty of .40, but has been out of 9mm for weeks.

3. I don´t know why some insist in training people to shoot while walking back. To me it has to be one of the most stupid things, walking into unknown territory.
  4. I entirely agree, but isn't this in the wrong thread?

5. Hello English, I forgot to make reference to the poor training tactics in the video in post #127. You will now be able to connect.

And I might as well take the opportunity to congratulate you for your valuable contributions here in GT.:wavey:
  6. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I guess that there are a lot more 9mm owners out there compared to .40 S&W owners.
  7. Hello Glockbuster,
    Thank you for that.

I have just watched the video and the walking backwards wasn't the only thing that made me cringe!

8. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

So, you can not see any scenario where you would need to fire while moving backwards?
  9. The idea behind walking backwards is to do it slowly and smoothly so that you can use the sights effectively and make good shots as you walk. One of the other things in the video is doing the same thing walking forwards.

The problem with doing both things is that your movement does not change the aiming process of you opponent, and he is stationary and so better able to aim and shoot than you are and your opponent might well be behind some kind of cover. This is a kind of mutual suicide pact with the odds more against you than for you. Moving backwards has the added disadvantage that you are in danger of falling over or bumping into something. Either thing makes your situation worse because it disrupts your firing process.

If you are being fired on your first tactic should be to make yourself a difficult target. You do this by moving rapidly across his aim and changing direction rapidly so that he can't get used to the lead he needs. Depending on circumstances, this sideways running motion can be angled forward or backward to get to cover or to flank his position. At close quarters you can run past him at an angle and curve round behind him. You have the advantage in this situation of knowing what you are about to do before you do it. He is always trying to catch up.

What moving rapidly means here is running and changing direction at full acceleration. The only way to do that without falling over is by running forward. Moving fast sideways or backwards just does not work!

If you can point shoot with one hand you can get off quite effective fire at the same time as running, depending on distance. At close range this has the great advantage that you can fire round the clock relative to your body orientation.

10. lowflyer

lowflyer Capitalist

To tie this back into the topic, learn to shoot a .40, and you will never be forced to walk backwards. :)
  11. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Just to clarify I should say that I'm not comparing forward vs back or lateral movement compared to rearward movement simply as a preference.
  12. What would be interesting to hear from would be the docs or emts that have treated gun shot wounds and listened to what they have to say.

One of our sons did a surgical residency in a Cleveland Ohio hospital emergency room. They saw a lot of gunshot wounds there.....surprise, Huh?

Since our family has hunted, camped and fished a lot when we were raising our sons I asked him what he learned about gunshot wounds from pistols while there.

He said all gunshot wounds have the potential to be fatal. Having said that he went on to say that a .22lr is a low probability of death. He said he treated a guy that was shot once in the chest and twice in the back. Got him coming and then going. He survived but a few more inches of penetration could have been fatal.

He summarized his limited experience up with maybe a 9mm but if you want to get it done quickly a .40 or a 45ACP is the way to go. He said in one month there he saw 35 gunshot patients.

What is the experience from the medical guys?
  13. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Lmao ... Your first post was interesting as well :)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  14. We are trained to press forward in order to achieve a lawful objective. We aren't trained to move backwards. That having been said we ARE trained to seek cover, so if I had to back pedal a step or two in order to reach it I might think about it. Bur honestly, by that time I should have emptied a mag or two.
  15. It has taken me a lot of practice to learn to shoot moving lateraly. I am a righty. moving right seems like and different universe than moving left. very hard skill to learn.
  16. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Thread resurrection.

I've noticed there's been no mention of the fact that the .40 S&W is choice of law enforcement all over the US. There must be a reason other than lobbying. :dunno:

Also, I've been carrying .40 since 1994. In Glock since 1999. None of my guns have fallen apart. :supergrin:
  17. I´m thinking your training is more military oriented than self defense for a citizen. But for self defense if you are going to move backwards in that fashion there are better choices. The danger behind you that you cannot see might be greater than that in front of you. English has pointed out the correct things. How can one possibly think you will gain anything by walking back so slowly at the price of accuracy in those precious seconds to make your shots count ? If I have to run I´ll run fast and I will look at what I´m stumbling upon, I can also fire and make noise at the threats.

18. Yes, but if you walk back as in the video, how will you know there is cover behind you ? The person in the video did not back pedal a step or two, he walked back quite a bit while firing with no knowledge what was behind him. I wonder how far away were his threats ? Do you think that is the best choice ?
  19. AHH!! now there is a great choice !!! I´d pick moving left if my threat is right handed.
    #179 Glockbuster, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

40 sucks.

yes, the 40 on my right hip is a real waste of powder.

and, unlike that moron yeager, i can carry a sucky .40 cal...which, i do.