The .40 sucks.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by OctoberRust, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I'll be getting a G22 soon. :cool:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Young whippersnappers! He forgot more'n they ever will learn!

:rofl:

Fortunately, astronomy did not stop developing with Copernicus' work, either.

3. The .40 is "hard to control" is bull. Unless all you've
    shot is 9mm.

Over the years I've shot 44 mag and 357 mag so much
    that when I got to the .40 I had no problem with recoil.

It's all about practice & training in any case.

A new shooter should start with the 9mm though.

4. The Glock you shoot the best is the best!

5. Very true.

6. I fell upon this posting as I searched for opinions on the Glock 19.

This is an interesting collision of egos, experience and bravado.

I know Mr. Yaeger is more than a little partial to the Glock 19 and I know the video of the ambush has many people putting forth all sorts of opinions.

There is a big difference between soldiers and civilians in war zones. When I was a soldier, I trained with the equipment and the people with whom I deployed. Most of our vehicles were equipped with machine gun turrets, loaded and manned. Of course, one of the things we trained for was responding to ambushes.

I think Mr. Yaeger failed to get the vehicle to move because he put it in neutral and forgot it was a manual transmission. This made it look like the transmission was damaged during the incoming gunfire. Basically, he did not know the vehicle well enough to react instinctively.

My cars at home are all different: My truck is an automatic with the shifter on the column, my car is a manual and my wife's truck is an automatic with the shifter in the center console. In my truck, I often reach for the shifter and work the non-existent clutch to downshift coming into a turn. In my wife's truck, the kids laugh at I keep reaching for the non-extent column shifter. I can imagine messing this up in an unfamiliar car in a gunfight. It goes back to the train as you fight idea.

I can tell you from my experience, receiving incoming rounds is one thing and being the actual target is another. A bunch of guys in a civilian car are not going to do very well. It may not be easy to get out of a kill zone and there is no real cover. An RPG would really mess up one of the subcompact tin cans.

Anyway, for some time I have heard the arguments about handgun caliber. The objective the ammo manufacturers go for in premium ammo is the level of good enough. I believe the FBI has defined the standards of good enough. Since 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 SIG and 45 ACP may be built to the same performance standard, many assume they are all the same and this tilts things in favor of the 9mm, since you get to carry more ammo and the time between shots is shorter (all other things being equal).

The assumption is that civilians will likely not shoot through car doors and windshields. That may be the case.

My leanings is toward larger and more powerful handguns. My defense handgun is a Glock 20 and my normal concealed carry is a Glock 27. Each of the handguns also have conversion barrels, 40 S&W for the G20 and 9mm for the G27. The G20 makes the 40 S&W feel very mild.

So, here is where there can be a couple issues.

If I am traveling and seek to purchase ammo, I may have problems finding 40 S&W or 10mm. I will likely be able to find 9mm anywhere I travel in the US.

The other issue deals with what I can do if premium defense ammo is hard to find. Even though Mas Ayoob tends to go with the experience police have with specific ammo, he recognizes that the bigger round is better if the premium stuff is unavailable.

So, though I like to see how people argue the merits of something that is near impossible to quantify, I am becoming closer to considering a Glock 19 as my concealed carry gun.

7. Yaeger must be good...Tex Grebner trains with him.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLN3XLyP2W4"]Tactical Response Fighting Pistol - YouTube[/ame]

8. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member
    Lifetime Member

:rofl:

9. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Is it wrong that all I could do was laugh when I watched Tactical Tex? The guy means well but I couldn't help myself.

10. Yep the .40 Smith Sucks. If your going to shoot a .40,,, make it a 10mm. And make it count!

11. SARDUDE

SARDUDE Thread Killer
    Millennium Member

I like! :D

12. SARDUDE

SARDUDE Thread Killer
    Millennium Member

Mobile Double Tap

13. His video is a strong opinion and nothing more. I find them entertaining regardless of his background. Do I agree with him? Heck no!

A friend of mine took a basic pistol course that he ran and picked up some great information. Although he did push Glock 9mm's pretty hard. Personally, I find very little difference in recoil between a 9mm and most full size 40's. I would take either into a fight with confidence so long as I had good expanding ammunition.

14. Tex is such a mall ninja! It is quite funny to watch

#134 jeremy1, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  15. So....in the second video all I can hear aside from the gunfire are European accents. Which vehicle was Yaeger in? The one with the camera?

Edit: The .40 S&W is a fine round, and has dropped a helluva lot of bad guys. If you don't like it don't shoot it. Fair enough?

#135 4949shooter, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  16. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

17. I don't know what that was, but it was far from tactical.

Looked like Al Bundy taking a course.

18. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

My keyboard is now drenched in coffee.:rofl:

19. :winkie:

It was the 1st thing I thought of watching the vid.

20. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

It's true, he moves like a walrus on the beach.