close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

That's it.... I want a heat shield.

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Big_Grumpy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy
    Expand Collapse
    Go Cheese!

I've bought into the notion that heat shield on a shotgun was kind of silly, extra weight and not needed. Well, when you crank off about 75 rounds of 00 in a rather short amount of time for practice, the barrel tends to get a bit hot (understatement). More than a few times I've accidentally grabbed it or had it brush up against my arm or leg. Not to mention I can't put my shotgun away right away in the egg crate foam hard case I have after a session for fear of melting the stuff.

I have an 870 with an 18.5" police barrel with rifle sights. Does someone make a decent heat shield for that type of barrel?

Much appreciated!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Big_Grumpy, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Devin459

Devin459
    Expand Collapse

I totally agree man! I can't understand the reasoning behind all the people on forums like these that say heat shields are just for looks and all they do is add weight. I can tell you after rapidly firing about 50 shells of low brass cheap field loads I don't want to be touching ANY part of the barrel. The thing is, with universal heat shields, you run the risk of it seating too close to the barrel, rendering it useless. I've seen this with an 870. I would check out midwayusa and look at their offerings, and read reviews. I really haven't seen a good functioning heat shield on an 870 but then again I haven't seen many.

3. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

The thicker milspec barrels do tend to absorb and hold heat alot longer...hence the invention of the heat guard. Plus it does protect a large area of the gun from impacts when being tossed around. It also makes for a field expedient cheese grater...lol.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

But doesn't installing a heat shield automatically turn a normal everyday sporting gun into an assault weapon?

Use it in a SD situation and the jury will think you were looking for trouble - just itching to kill someone.

Law enforcement & anyone else that ever sees the shield will assume you are some sort of gun nut.

:tongueout:

5. AK74play

AK74play
    Expand Collapse

Heatshield on HD gun is necessary as far as I'm concerned and for weight. They dont weigh enough that you will ever know it was added as far as the feeling of the gun in your hands. And it keeps your hands off the barrel even if it is cool enough to touch. Legally they only change the looks cosmetically and add nothing in the way of intent. It is simply for protection. You go adding tela - stocks and a lot of other (evil) looking stuff including but not limited to say a bayonett then your probably going to get attacked in court over the looks & intended use of the weapon.

6. O'DubhGhaill

O'DubhGhaill
    Expand Collapse

If you are charged in a self-defense shooting and your case goes to trial, the prosecution will attempt to make your Surefire pen look like a weapon of mass destruction and you a craven, puncture-wound-inflicting menace to civilization. The only way to hopefully prevail if things go so wrong as to find yourself so deeply involved in the criminal justice system, is to carefully select and retain reputable counsel NOW, fully instruct yourself on your local, state, and federal laws regarding self defense, keep records of any educational material you have completed on the subject, including training courses, let those closest to you know who to call in the event you are arrested, and check out membership in an organziation such as Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, LLC.

I am installing heat shields on all my guns because they get awfully hot during a course or when practicing, plain and simple.

#6 O'DubhGhaill, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. method

method
    Expand Collapse

I have one on my 870 and love it. I recommend plastic, as a metal one still gets hot and could be rough on your hands.

8. ZekerMan

ZekerMan
    Expand Collapse
    ZekerMan

Method: What brand shield are you using? Any pics possible? Thanks

ZekerMan

9. AK74play

AK74play
    Expand Collapse

The one with round holes is a factory Mossberg and the one with longer holes is aftermarket but I dont remember who's. Go with steel, it dont get hot. Extremely limited contact with barrel and it just dont happen or beleive me I would have been burned by now. I run'em hard......

10. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK
    Expand Collapse
    SEMPER FIDELIS

My Mossberg just got one and it works great, I should have got one a lot sooner.

11. AK74play

AK74play
    Expand Collapse

They also fit the 870 smooth barrels or any other 12 guage with a smooth barrel.

12. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

Ive been debating on getting one too im most likely gonna get the factory mossberg heat shield. Nice mossbergs by the way ak74 play

13. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for getting off topic, but hey ak74play how does the factory mossberg shield fit does it scuff up the barrel ?does it move around come loose?

14. AK74play

AK74play
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely not, Cant possibly move provided it is installed correctly which is easy to do. It comes with everything you need. You can get it in Blued or nickel finish which is a flat finish if you have one of their Mariners. I paint the blued ones if you can tell from the pics, it gives me a flat finish and I dont have to worry about them rusting AND befor it comes uo it wont cook off there is really very little contact between the barrel and the shield to conduct heat. It will run cool or I would have already cooked it off. Both of the 2 pictured have ran flawlessly fo about 12 years and still look the way they did when I painted them..

15. shootingbuff

shootingbuff
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Someone explain the need. Everything I have heard thus far you get with any firearm and the TC heat without firing.

AFA loading - load underneath or roll the SG. No one shoots with their hand on the bbl, no should be carrying by the bbl. AFA storing open the bolt and place in the shade, You can put a damn hot wpn in the foam without problems - so what is the reason. I see a desire for the cool factor, but where is the need?

Of course if one just wants thats cool - that though is not what I am asking.

AFA having one and using the SG in defense if you get hung outto dry for a heatsheild., I don't see it happening.

16. AK74play

AK74play
    Expand Collapse

I dont understand the so called cool factor. I do it so I dont get burned and it protects my barrels. I run um hot and if you have ever accidently touched a hot one you wouldn't have to ask. Simple as that.

17. method

method
    Expand Collapse

Not sure of the brand. Got it at a gunshow 8 years ago just to have an excuse to play with the gun when I got home, but ended up really liking it.

[​IMG]

18. ZekerMan

ZekerMan
    Expand Collapse
    ZekerMan

Thanks for the picture Method, looks like it clamps on solid on the front.

19. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy
    Expand Collapse
    Go Cheese!

Like I was asking originally, I have an 18.5" police barrel with rifle sights. Like this:

[​IMG]

Is there anyone out there that makes one, or would I have to cut out some notches in a "standard" one to accomodate the sights? If that's the case then I won't bother doing a hack job.

Thanks!

#19 Big_Grumpy, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  20. AK74play

AK74play
    Expand Collapse

The steel is pretty rigid and wont open up enough to fit over the front sight you have. They are intended for bead sight application.