close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thanks to Eric and lifting question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by .264 magnum, Aug 18, 2004.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Thanks for a forum Eric! You're the man.

Creatine does not increase my blood pressure.....should I take it again. In the past creatine has given me good results good results.

2. there is nothing wrong with creatine. Go for it.

3. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    Creatine does make your kidneys work harder, so if you have kidney problems or diabetes, I would skip it. Suspicion of kidney damage in healthy people is speculative and anecdotal; there are no real studies confirming it, AFAIK.

It sounds like the risk is minor for someone otherwise in good health, but that's just a lay opinion.

4. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    From the Dept of Redundancy Dept.

5. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Jul 19, 2003
    FT Campbell
    I used creatine back in 2000 when I was in Kosovo. I got big quick but didn't any real gains in strength. It took me a long time to shed the water weight so i'm kinda skiddish about using it. It supposedly shortens your recovery time from a heavy work out and it's also supposed to aid in protein synthesis. I'm using several suppliments and I think that once you get your body used to working out it's not really necessary.

6. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    Creatine is a supplement, not a drug, so no FDA testing. As such, the formulations you buy OTC can vary wildly. As with all supplements, there is a lot of misinformation out there.

quackwatch.org is a good resource.

Here's one article, and look at the bottom for several links:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/creatine.html

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Hey! Don't misunderestimate me! Don't take me out of context of context either....mister.

FWiiW-creatine seemed to give me little lifting boost. Nothing major. Nothing major.

8. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    I tried it, along with protein powder, for several months, and got nothing perceptible. Per the linked article, above, I think it only helps if you're a power lifter who lifts many hours a week, thus a) are depleting your body's creatine levels anyway and b) can take advantage of the extra.

IMO, most middle-aged moderate to recreational lifters won't benefit from it simply because their workouts are not that intense, nor do they lift the same body parts too often per week.

9. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

May 21, 2001
    V I R G I N I A
    I have no personal experience with Creatine but I believe that it gives some people double-vision.
    ;g

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Watch it!

11. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Jul 19, 2003
    FT Campbell
    I know people who swear by it but I agree most of the research/claims are made by the companies who are selling the stuff. Thats why a forum like this is great, so we can share I experiences;)

Thanks Eric!

12. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    The thing with creatine is that it only works if you lift heavy and often. For those who lift for tone or only a few tims a weak, it just doesn't offer a huge benefit. OTOH, if you're lifting to failure for multiple sets then creatine works very well.

Oh yeah, you can avoid the water retention by drinking lots of coffee. I love espresso, so its not really an issue, but the caffiene is a very mild diuretic. Helps get rid of the excess

13. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    Read the article I linked above: there is good evidence caffeine nullifies the value of creatine, for just that reason. Creatine can only work if its primary effect of loading the muscle cells with water is allowed to prevail. Creatine works BECAUSE of water retention.

14. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    The osmotic efffect isn't the only way to load creatine in the cells. Insulin does a pretty good job which is why many of the higher end creatine products are so loaded with sugars. Good article though.

15. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    Right, but regardless of how creatine gets into the cells, its the water content that makes for the effect. Caffeine and other diuretics tend to nullify that effect, per the article. I.e., it isn't the creatine itself that builds muscles. Rather, it's what the creatine indirectly does -- keep water in the muscle cells -- that allows you to work harder and do that extra rep or two, that builds the muscles.

Put another way, it isn't the cell water that draws the creatine and the creatine makes for muscle growth. The opposite is true: it's the creatine that draws the water into the cell and that's what makes the muscles grow.

16. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    Water isn't what allows the extra reps. Creatine, per the article, helps synthesize ATP, which is the basic energy source for cells.

Thats an excerpt from this article
    Its a bit more academic and in depth. Both articel make clear that it is the creatine itself that increases workout capacity, not water. Whether or not excess water is present in the cell has little or no effect on creatine's ability to aid ATP synthesis

17. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
  18. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    Hmmm, interesting. Is there a full text version somewhere? I would be interested in reading the methodolgy. From my own personal experiences, I have found their conclusion not to be the case.

19. dgg9

dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    There are articles on this in:

http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net

...but only if you're a member; I'm not.

These articles mention something about that study's methodology:

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/coff_creat.htm

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0109.htm

Bottom line from those articles: caffeine would be expected to help creatine update, but that 1996 study found the opposite. No one understands the mechanism but the results were clear.

20. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    After re-reading the abstract, I think I know why their results were what they were.
    1. There isn't any mention of anything taken w/ the creatine to enhance insulin response, i.e. glucose. Without insulin, the only pathway for creatine uptake is the osmotic, which caffiene does indeed nullify.

2. It appears there was only a period of .5gr per a day for 6 days. I would consider that an insufficient loading period.

edit disregard number 2