close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Texting and Driving - What's the Answer?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by snerd, May 10, 2012.

1. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    I know its been discussed to death, but I was almost side-swiped "again" this morning. Her head was down, she was all over her lane and another one too. It just blows my mind. Idiots. So, I have to admit that even as a small government proponent, I've considered a law against it. I know, I feel like a big hypocrite! But it's getting ridiculous! You have to keep your eyes peeled at every second, or you could be a statistic!

What to do about it, if anything? Let me have it!

2. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, the problem is that laws don't really act as a deterrent. Obviously, causing an accident, which in turn causes someone to suffer injury and/or property damage, should be punished to the maximum extent of the law. I know that throwing the book at someone AFTER the fact is small consolation... but government is supposed to be a fine balancing act between protecting the rights of others, and stepping back to allow people to suffer the consequences of their actions. No easy answers here.

In the meantime, I vote for indiscriminate horn usage. I find 10-second blasts are more effective than quick hits. :cool:

3. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Nov 18, 2009
    If you damage someone property, or injure someone, while texting and driving... then you should face criminal and civil penalties.

In other words, the same solution for women who put on lipstick while driving, or fat guys who eat Big Mac value meals while driving, et cetera.

Also, most states already have laws on the books that cover this (distracted driving, negligent driving, reckless driving, etc).

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  4. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    "The answer" is don't empower the state to regulate that which you find distasteful, dangerous, or otherwise bad. Once you start this dynamic in motion you can't control it. You can't get the genie back in the bottle (as should be evident based on even a cursory observation of our modern government). If you take this course, everyone else will to. More and more is regulated and soon you have government in nearly every aspect of your life in one regard or another (sound familiar?). You make it ok for others to do the same. Pretty soon something you want to do, need to do, or can do responsibly gets banned, taxed, or regulated. How do we not see the pattern here? Government is an equal opportunity power absorber. From right or left, it will soak up the power you give it. And it will not willingly cede that power.

5. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    BTW, the UK passed these 'laws'. Started with phones. Then texting. Now there is a law that you can't eat while driving. What's next?

6. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas

How can you post this with a straight face?

It's none of the evil government's business if a person exercises their God given right to text while driving.

You hate freedom and liberty and you're not a real American.

:rofl:

7. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

As much as I despise people who text while they drive, I have to agree with this.

My wife was involved in a 5-car pile-up that included two cars that barrel-rolled (the texting teenager and a pregnant woman in the other car). Any time I see a person texting behind the wheel (or frankly, even talking on a cell phone, causing them to weave across lanes, ignore traffic lights, etc.), I find myself wishing that I was legally empowered to shoot the offending object out of their hands.

But I still don't want to fall down that rabbit hole of statist control.

8. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    I reckon I like the horn blasts the best. I'm thinking custom honker, a few hundred decibels? Thanks Mrs. Tink.

9. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    I'd say it should be gone after like drunk driving.

I must admit, back in the 80's before consciousness was fully raised societally, I use to drink and drive. Mostly just beer on the way to or from the beach. Never thought anything of it till awareness got raised. Thank god i never got really trashed, or killed anyone. No accidents. But I was young and stupid.

You wouldnt catch me doing that nowadays, EVER. I guess I grew up.

Cop I was talking to recently said the texters are worse than drunks.

"At least if a drunk sees you he tries NOT to hit you! Text'ers aren't even aware you're there or that they've drifted so far."

Start making examples of them. Start in schools.

10. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Mini gun.

11. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    It's all about contributory negligence.

If you hit me and you've been drinking, or texting, or putting on makeup, and I can prove it, you pay. BIG.

Don't make any particular one of those things illegal, but if it is shown that doing them while driving contributes to an increase in accidents, that fact should determine how much of you I own after a court finds that you are responsible for the collision.

There are some contributory things that can't be proved (like dozing off, or tuning a radio, or playing sock puppet,) but for the things that can be proved? Hammer time!

12. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    driving is previledge, not a right. you must conform to the norms of what is deemed safe to do so legally.

state shouldnt ban texting and driving? why should they ban driving intoxicated? why cant legally blind people drive? how about doing away with the corrective lenses requirements altogether? turn signals? please, i know which way im going to turn already thank you, ok?ok.

you see? why should they ban anything? its our right to do as we please no matter what.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  13. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    A fair and reasonable assessment. Thanks.

14. And the people said,

A-a-AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

15. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Sep 23, 2002
    West Warwick, RI
    The answer is to just let the driving rules that are already in place take care of the problem and not legislate against personal behaviours of people. If a driver is swerving all over the place like the one that almost hit you was, then is a cop sees her she should be cited for reckless driving and whatever other violations there were.

Think about it this way, suppose that it was illegal to text and just before that woman almost hit you the cop who was driving a few hundred yards behind you spotted a driver texting. Even though that driver was driving straight and obeying all the other traffic laws, the cop pulled him over for texting. If the cop hadn't done that he or she would have been there to catch the driver that almost swerved into you.

16. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Funny you should mention that . . . about noon today coming home from the mall, my wife and I passed a female about 20-25 doing just that. Eating and texting while driving. I guess she couldn't talk on the phone because her mouth was full of food. What a Moron! :rofl:

17. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    Does anyone see stop signs and red lights as tyranny?

_

18. As long as we're going down this road we may as well ban old people from driving too, seeing as how reaction times demonstrably increase with age.

How about driving tests that include these distractions? If you can pass a driving test blitzed or while texting or blitzed AND texting you get a sticker for your car telling the cops, "He's wasted and texting but this guy can handle it."

19. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    :supergrin: