close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Testing AR Magizines

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by AzGlock27, Feb 24, 2010.

1. AzGlock27

AzGlock27

Jun 20, 2001
    Reno, Nv
    Hey Guys,
    Kind of nubie question here. Other then actually burning up ammo what is the best way to determine if the lips on AR mags are out of tolerance? I have something like 8 30 round Colt stamped AR magazines that I inherited that have been kept loaded for about 4 years and I'm concerned about the lips being out of tolerance. I did a quick search and could not find any links to specs or anything else that looked helpful. I appreciate any advise you guys could give, thanks.

2. CrazyFeet

CrazyFeet

Jan 18, 2008
    not an expert but you could load the mag in the rifle and manually cycle through them... not the best of course. i think you have to field test to be sure.

3. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Mar 1, 2004
    Benton Harbor, MI
    The magazines won't be out of spec in any way from being loaded for 4 years. In fact they're in the same exact condition they were in when they were loaded 4 years ago and set aide. Magazines sitting for years don't have any issues, they do when they are heavily used.

4. AzGlock27

AzGlock27

Jun 20, 2001
    Reno, Nv
    Thanks, that is great news. I did not really want to buy a bunch of new mags, I would rather spend my money on ammo. :)

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Be careful with this and a free floating firing pin. If you doing this in your living room you don't want to be the 1 in a million to get a slam fire. Can make wife grumpy. I would do this at a range or use dummy rounds / snap caps.

Probably only an issue if it has soft primers.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Very fine safety point! A friend had a 223 fired into his attack a few years
    ago. The neighbor behind him was showing a friend his new AR and shot through
    his wall across the back yards and into the attick of Bob's house. :faint:

7. snoczp

snoczp

Feb 23, 2009
    Shoot with all your mags, and number them as well. That way you know if you have a problem with a particular mag, and can identify and eleminate it before you really need it.

8. :goodpost:

9. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee