close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Testing a PC Power Supply

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rhikdavis, Sep 22, 2011.

1. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    Is it possible without removing from case?

I put a new one (cheap) in already and it worked for about a week...now the puter won't come on at all...

thx

2. Ralff

Ralff

Sep 10, 2008
    Central FL
    Not sure about it if you don't remove it from the case at all. Maybe test the output with a multimeter? Just don't take it apart and start fooling around inside. Some of those capacitors can hold quite a charge.

Edit: I know you said you didn't want to remove it, but if you bought local, any chance you can just take it back and exchange? If it still doesn't work at least you have eliminated the PS as the source of your problem.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

3. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    Nah, this was bought in Russia about ten years ago.

4. JimmyN

JimmyN

Sep 29, 2006
    Virginia
    Check the dipstick first, it's probably low on Vodka. :supergrin:

You can test it, if it's built to ATX specs. Look in the big 20 wire bundle where it connects to the motherboard. Is there a single green wire, and a single gray wire along with all the black, red, and yellow wires?

If so take a small piece of jumper wire, like #24 telephone wire or a single strand from a larger wire (it's only 3.3V it's not going to shock you), and stick one end into the back of the motherboard connector so it contacts the pin base for the green wire. Touch the other end of the jumper wire to a black wire, either in the motherboard connector or a 4 pin power connector. If the power supply starts up it's probably good and there is a problem somewhere else, if it doesn't it's bad.

With the green wire grounded and the supply running use a voltmeter to check the output. You should have 12V from any yellow wire to black (ground), and 5V from any red wire to black. If either of those voltages are off then the supply is bad.

If it starts up while the green wire is grounded, but then shuts down before you can check voltage you probably have a short in the motherboard, video card, harddrive, etc. and the power supply is shutting back down due to it's overcurrent protection.

5. handyman

handyman

Aug 3, 2008
    I got a tester from newegg just plug it in the one I got was from apevia.

6. handyman

handyman

Aug 3, 2008
    Apevia model PST-03 if you are still looking.

7. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Dec 13, 2009
    Frie's sells a power supply tester for $5 - 10. Since that is the thing that changed, return the dead power supply if you can, and buy one that has at least 100 w more capacity then you ever think you will need.

8. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    Much obliged. I"ve put that project on the back burner for now. Hate unwiring those bastards.