close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Test: Which New $20K Sporty Car?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by nucleus, Jun 29, 2006.

1. nucleus

nucleus
    Expand Collapse

Okay, you have twenty grand to spend, and the car must be new, fast, good handling, and practical, ie must have at least four doors.

Notice I said good handling, so no crossvers or SUV's. Upcoming models okay.

Post Away!

Nucleus

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

It might sound boring, but I'd go with the 4 door Honda Civic. The Accord is over the price range.

3. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

The same one I chose, Corolla XRS. I got mine for $16,000 used with only 5k miles.

It has the Corolla GTS engine and 6-speed, 8200 rpm redline, and 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS. It will run 15s in the quarter, is limited to 135mph. I have gone past 100 and it was still pulling.

Plus it is a Toyota, so it will last.

[​IMG]

4. Rob1035

Rob1035
    Expand Collapse
    Skeet Surfer

Subaru WRX, Civic Si, Neon SRT4, maybe even a Miata or Solstice?

5. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty
    Expand Collapse

He wants 4 doors.

6. nucleus

nucleus
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I didn't know this car existed! Thanks for the tip, I'm off to go build one online.

Nucleus
    :supergrin:

7. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Check out the Mazda 3...or if you can find one used in the most recent itteration, a Mazda 6. My wife and I test drove the Mazda 6 a while back. It was the most fun I've ever had (driving ;) ) in a four door automobile. This particular one had the 6 speed semi-auto transmission...what a hoot!

ETA: the only reason we didn't buy it was because at $28,000 it was a bit out of our price range.

8. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

The 3 is another choice, but the 6, unless it is the bare bones model, is out of his price range also.

I still think my XRS can take a 3 though ;)

I am one of those guys that knows what he has (as in, no I don't think it can take a vette), but is willing to find out first hand. I am not too proud to loose. I keep wanting to race my buddies '00 Mustang GT, but he keeps making excuses.

There is a guy on Toyotanation that has an XRS with simple bolt-ons that is staying with RS-X Type Ses and regularly beats Sentra SE-R Spec Vs and SVT Focuses at the track. All that and he has 4 doors, roomy interior, a nice sized trunk, etc.

If you can test drive the XRS. That is what sold me. I went in to get a Scion tC and left with a Corolla XRS. The Corolla fits me better and gives me more room. Plus, I LOVE the six speed manual (VERY short throw for an OEM shifter). Once I dorve it, I had to have it.

One last thing. One downside is it takes premium gas only. IIRC it has around an 11:1 compression ratio. I only fill it up with Shell premium and only run Mobil 1 synthetic oil w/ a Mobil 1 filter.

9. JosieWales

JosieWales
    Expand Collapse

Should be able to do an Accord for 20

10. arrowdriver

arrowdriver
    Expand Collapse

With some of the deals Mazda is making on the RX-8 now, it should be getting close to 20K for a base model......

11. 97guns

97guns
    Expand Collapse

VOLKSWAGON JETTA TURBO

12. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

That or the TDI for the even better MPG.

My dad's friend has a TDI Jetta. He likes it so much he is planning on getting another one for his wife.

I hate to brag agian, but the XRS stays with the new Jetta GLI through the quarter. ;)

I am a VW fan too though and wanted a Jetta GLI pretty bad.

13. adamgh81

adamgh81
    Expand Collapse

I know you said NEW, but I've always purchased used cars with low mileage that are only a year or 2 old. I love my 2000 Nissan Maxima SE...4 door, V6 222hp, 5spd(or auto if you'd like), great styling and performance. 2000-01 have 3.0l v6 and 2002-03 have 3.5l v6. I'd get a 2003 if I were to get ride of my 2000. But if your looking for better gas mileage, my 2000 gets 27-30mpg highway, 24-26 city with A/C cranked.

14. ShipWreck

ShipWreck
    Expand Collapse
    FN & HK Fanatic

Love my Toyota Matrix. Have had it over 3 years now. 1st car I could ever say that I plan to buy another one eventually.

15. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

I hope you aren't waiting for that thing to wear out. You may not be around to get another one. :supergrin:

16. ShipWreck

ShipWreck
    Expand Collapse
    FN & HK Fanatic

Why is that?

17. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I think he's insinuating that Toyotas are very durable and reliable automobiles, and that you're probably not gonna wear it out anytime soon.

18. ShipWreck

ShipWreck
    Expand Collapse
    FN & HK Fanatic

That's kinda what I thought he meant - I realized it after my post

19. GroovedG19

GroovedG19
    Expand Collapse
    Laguna Blue AP2

Sporty 4 door? How about a used Mitsubishi Evolution?:supergrin:The sound of the turbo hissing when you shift gears is very addicting.

20. nucleus

nucleus
    Expand Collapse

Well I thought the answer would be the Mazdaspeed 3, but I am afraid that it is going to come out at like 23K rather than 20K. Nice little pocket rocket with about 250 HP. Check it out here.

I have looked at the Corolla, but I think it is too slow for the money. A better choice would be the Yaris or the Fit, and put the money difference into a turbo kit. Smaller cars are inherently sportier and funer to drive.

I noticed that the Yaris has an option of 18 inch wheels from the factory, that little car could be a good autocross car in stock class with such big wheels from the factory.

Nucleus