close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Terminal Confessions of a 5.56

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by akula, Apr 19, 2009.

1. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    It was one lazy afternoon, last week. A friend and also a GT member decided to do some terminal ballistic characteristics of a couple of 5.56mm rounds -- handloaded 60gr Hornady JHP and the venerable 55gr WCC'7x M193 ammo.

We set-up five 1-gallon containers, backed with three cut-trunks of banana, plus a final backstop of sack of range soil.

60gr Hornady JHP
    3 frames of Video Grab :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akula

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    Bullet entrance was a typical .22(3) inch punch, but the exit from the first container was explosive!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second container stopped all the fragments. The strength of a 5.56 bullet is on its fragmentation characteristics.
    [​IMG]

The second container is at least 6-inches from the first bullet entrance site.
    [​IMG]

3. akula

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    A second test using first a 1-Gal container, then a banana trunk at the back:
    [​IMG]

Take note of the expansion inside the banana trunk.
    [​IMG]

4. akula

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    55gr WCC7x M193 Test

WCC exhibit a similar characteristic with the 60gr JHP.
    [​IMG]

A shot of the larger fragment of the bullet.
    [​IMG]

A second test using directly a banana trunk in a longitudinal section. Container cap was used as bullet entry and sighting aid.
    [​IMG]

Take note of the 'liquifaction' after the 4th inch from point the bullet entry.
    [​IMG]

5. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    johnny: gaano kayo kalayo from the target?

6. akula

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    Doc_I : 25 yards.

7. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    That's why Gen. Biazon opposed replacing the M193 to the 62 gr. ammo. According to him, aside from the unnecessary expenses, he believed in the effectiveness of the M193.

I've seen the effects of the M193 on civilians and soldiers when the detachment in Brgy. Bato in Sagay, Negros Occidental was overrun by the rebels. Not a pretty sight.

8. flash1919

flash1919 TAGA-SIPAT

next pwede request, m855/ss109 naman na round para ma compare.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  9. flash1919

flash1919 TAGA-SIPAT

double post

10. akula

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    14.5 inch BM-M4 1/9 barrel. Sighted in by via Millet DMS-1 1-4x.

Knock, knock -- shooter is yet to post on this thread...
    No promises...

Sandman, maybe we can even test the 77grainer :) -- That would be the mk262 equivalent.

11. atmarcella

atmarcella

Aug 27, 2004
    overwatch....
    that is a very nice way to spend a lazy afternoon, galeng!

12. Ah ok. BM - Millet DMS-1 user here too:supergrin:, only that mine is a 20-incher. Let's see more tests, this time with the M855, as the M4 - M855 combo has been maligned a lot since Somalia (read Blackhawk Down the book). Also if you have some 40-grain varmint rounds try them as well.

The hero of the Miami FBI shootout, Edmund Mireles, suffered a mangled arm from being hit with a round from a Mini-14, forcing him to terminate both perps with his S&W one-handed.

There's a rather gruesome thread over at timawa.net showing the actual damage from an M16 round.

What a way to spend a lazy afternoon. A lifestyle I had to give up. I haven't fired one round since I got transferred here to Manila, hopefully my rifle will join me next month. I have to settle for lazy drives in the country.... or be obsessed with the Futurama animated series (I got the complete set).

13. foxyyy

foxyyy

Jun 30, 2006
    Philippines
    ahem..ahem..

as you can see in the pics...the shooter is an excellent markman...hahaha! at 25yards!

more testing wil be done..initially i wanted it to be at 50yds...besides the fact that we had our rifles zeroed IBSZ (50/200yds point of aim)..i feel 50yds is just the right minimum distance if ever you are in a gunfight with long firearms.

as requested, SS109 & the Hornady 77gr hollowpoint will be next

much better if somebody can donate a cow, carabao for the experiment...hehe!

14. Thought so. Only one DMS-1 user I know from that part of the woods.:supergrin:

15. akula

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    MAO! Kadto nalang mga layaw nga kanding...

Here's a vidgrab of foxyyy with his tool during the affair.
    [​IMG]

Fox... post a clearer pic of your bow...

...Hope that Baloyot is done with the 77gr.

16. sandman_sy

sandman_sy

Nov 15, 2006
    Philippines
    77gr Sierra :p im ready and willing :p got my 20 rounds ready now guys.. with different loads.. aheheheh..

Lets try a .308 din :p heheheh..

17. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    Found the link, and it sure doesn't look good. :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  18. Yes, it was posted by BoG cebuboy. However, let me echo his caveat at the beginning of the thread:

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED. DISTURBING PHOTOGRAPHS INSIDE.

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=17111.0

The good news is the fella will live, but he will be limping the rest of his life.

(and please don't get me started on the other thread in the same forum, there's just so much gore I can take hehehe)