close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Terawatt by Des Michaels

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by UneasyRider, Jan 25, 2012.

1. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Just finished this book that was .99 cents on amazon kindle (you can download and read kindle books to your computer too) and it was a pretty good book. Really exciting and kept moving at a fast pace on just about every page.

It's a CME story about a man who is in TX and his wife and son are in TN with family when it hits and he has to make his way (1,000 miles) to them. The best part is that he is not a prepper rather just the opposite... he is clueless in the begining but he's a smart guy who picks things up fast.

Just in case your looking for a decent read.

2. crunchless

crunchless

Sep 22, 2008
    Thanks for the tip! Just picked it up. $0.99 makes it pretty easy, even if it turns out to be crap. But it does look good. This is the type of thing that I can give my wife and make her want to be more prepared.

3. thejellster05

thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    Kansas
    I just bought it too. If its crap you owe me a buck and I want paid in .22LR.

:)

4. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Darn! I should have had one of you lawyers put in a disclaimer for me!

I enjoyed it quite a bit, hope you do to. I really like that the main character is such an everyman and not even a little bit of a prepper. Plus the author is very well informed himself. So you better like it because I am not going to give you a buck! Nice way to buy a book though isn't it.

5. Thanks, I love getting good reads for .99 cents on my Kindle.
    Now if I could get caught up on my reading............

6. thejellster05

thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    Kansas
    Up to chapter 13 today and loving it. -I think it might be up there with One Second After......

7. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    On that page there were links to another book:

Invasion: Alaska by Vaughn Heppner

Lots of good reviews. Looks liek he has written several interesting books. .

8. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Thanks for the heads-up. Especially for 99 cents, it's pretty good so far.

9. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Glad that you guys are liking it! I found it a good read and different than your average distopian story.

10. Teasip63

Teasip63

Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I bought this for my Kindle and I am half way through it. I am enjoying it so far and am glad that I have it.

What makes it unique for me is that I live in the neighborhood where he describes that his home is located in Coppell, Texas. I am familar with all of the businesses, locations, streets and highways he is describing such as having to go up hill on his bike on Lodge Street. I go up that street every day and he is right, it would be a real climb on a bike.

But I also like the story and will look for his other writing.

11. thejellster05

thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    Kansas
    Just finished it. Without spoiling anything I think the first half was the best part... Still not bad for a buck though!

12. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    I agree, not a bad read but I liked the road trip best.

13. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Agreed. The short, clipped-sentence writing style was a minor distraction at first, but once I got past noticing that it was good. More than 99 cents worth of good, at least... :)

14. Glock Man_G19

Glock Man_G19

Jul 12, 2007
    VA
    Thanks for the suggestion. It was a pretty good read.

Maybe we could start a sticky about good cheap Survival Kindle books?

15. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Good idea!

16. Sgt. Rambo

Sgt. Rambo

Apr 1, 2003
    South Jersey
    Just bought it for my wife's Kindle. She's becoming a better S&Per than me...lol Thanks for the suggestion....
    While I'm here if anyone is going to Amazon, and could simply click on "Crossing the Line" by Glenn Rambo (me) there is a button on the right side to push to request it published for Kindle. Both of my novels are still only in Paperback but I'm in the process of getting those two plus my current manuscrip in e-format. Thanks.

17. Chucktown Mako

Chucktown Mako G23

Jun 24, 2009
    On the Coast, SC
    Thanks Uneasy Rider for suggesting this one. I have gone through tons of the survival novels on kindle recently and most have been disappointing. I even ventured into some zombies for the last two books. Blah!
    I liked the last ones you suggested, Deep Winter Series, so I will give Terawatt a shot.
    If I can contribute any that I have even remotely enjoyed, the closest would be the "Renewal" series. There are 9 or 10 short novels for $1. Couple other ones that were almost worth it were "Apocalypse Law" and another by the same author.

18. Chucktown Mako

Chucktown Mako G23

Jun 24, 2009
    On the Coast, SC
    Crap, it's gone up to $2.99! I am a cheap b@st@rd.

19. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    I love to read, if you like Zombie survival stories have you read World War Z? It's the best! Also the blog of Adrian's Undead Diary is very nice reading... I started with the first entry (you should do this if you read it) and read forward. It's a good idea where the author writes an entry every couple of days in his journal so you are reading in real time. Good Zombie fiction too.

20. eyesnorth

eyesnorth

Jun 9, 2004
    CT
    AUD is pretty good. Am looking forward to the trip mentioned in the last entry. Don't want to spoil anything.