close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

TEOTWAWKI - The only handgun you can take.(No ICBMs please)

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by runcible68, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Natty

Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    Maryland/Virginia
    [​IMG]

Browning HP 9mm.

I have plenty of mags and ammo and will be able to take more 9mm ammo from dead Zombies.

2. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    P226 in 9mm, or P229 in .40 if I am caught out while in EDC fashion.

3. dooga

dooga New to Glocks

Mar 30, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I would pack my Glock 26. Very hide-able and durable and a 9 and can run 10, 15, 17, and 33 round mags. Lots of spare parts. Doesn't really need lube or care or cleaning.

Wait! Change that! Make it a 27 with a 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 barrel. Are there .22LR barrels, too?

4. COWBOYSHOOTER

COWBOYSHOOTER Oh dear....

Sep 10, 2000
    I run Bartertown
    S&W Model 6904. Small enough to conceal, but accepts the 20 or so Model 59 mags I have. I got more 9mm ammo than I can carry :cool:

Would be just as happy with any of my K frames.

5. Goat 36

Goat 36

Aug 2, 2010
    Glockerbie
    Was all set to say G19, but TACLOAD reminded me of my G34.

It's only used for competition, but in just this scenario, it may very well be ideal. (Among 'my' selection.)

Not quite as concealable as my 19, or 36 for that matter, but it would be great for hunting anything up to medium size deer or taking some longer shots at bad guys.

Hmm...it's a toss up.

If not for the available ammo issue, LG's 5.7 might be the 'perfect' handgun for a world gone mad.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    I was going to say my 17, but would pick my 26 for the same reasons. I also have a .22 kit for it.

7. SilverCity

SilverCity

Mar 9, 2007
    The Old West
    Glock 17 for the win! :cool:

Actually the 19 or 34 would work fine.

SC

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I think it depends on where I am when it happens and what I plan to do. It would defiantly be a Glock.

My G17 is on loan, so I can not grab it.
    My G21 would probably be at the top of the list. I have 3. I have lots of mags. I have a suppressor. One is a SBR. I could CCW it, if needed.
    My G19 and G26 could be an option. I have plenty of mags. I have a 22lr kit. I could make them into SBRs.

I don't know, if I am running out of the house, I would probably get the one in the kit or the one closest to me.

9. Mcoupe

Mcoupe

Oct 10, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Glock 17L.

Is concealability key under TEOTWAWKI ?

10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

For zombies, yes, for people no.

I'd probably grab my Glock 19, or my H&K USPf in 9mm.

high capacity, reliable, accurate, concealable.

11. FerFAL

FerFAL

May 31, 2007
    Glock 31 with KPOS SBR kit and my spare .40 barrel.
    That combo pretty much does it.
    If ammo is a problem then my Glock 17.
    FerFAL

12. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    If I had one it would be the Glock 17.

Of what I own it would be my Sig Sauer P228.

13. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    Well since we said already own, would go with my G24, I love the 40sw round, have several mags for it, ammo would be easy to find.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    G 19. The mags from both it and the G17 would fit, 9mm is fairly light.

If having ammo was not concern the G21.

15. RLE

RLE

Aug 24, 2011
    Castle Pines, CO
    G17, for all of the reasons that everybody already listed.

16. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Hard to say. It'd either be one of the g19's or one of the g26's; but to play along, say g19 probably.

Much like LG1's reasoning on the suppressed 5.7, I'd take along the titanium abraxas silencer as well, along with a whole bunch of mags. (We have either 47 or 52 9mm glock mags; last purchase was five, and I don't recall if that count was before that purchase.) Advantage imo goes to the suppressed 9mm over a suppressed 5.7 due to subsonic/supersonic considerations. In order to get seriously-quiet suppression requires subsonic velocity, and a 147 grain bullet at 1000fps is substantially more capable than a 40-grain bullet at 1000fps.

And my sons get to take their G19's as well, right? And my wife; maybe a g26 instead for her.

All that said, if this were a true "no going home" mad max or Postman situation, I'd really be longing for the 5" ruger DA .454 revolver. It lends itself to scrounging of components since it can use either small (.454) or large (.45LC) primers, the big caliber lends itself well to casting bullets if necessary, it doesn't throw brass everytime you pull the trigger, it's a very durable alloy (rust-resistant) material, it uses a couple different models of speedloaders, and with use of "reduced" (.44 magnum level) loads, it should last several lifetimes. All those things make it imo a very good option for a long-term, wandering post-teotwawki lifetime handgun. I really believe it to be such a good option that I'd seriously consider letting my wife & sons carry the glocks and me carry that revolver.

17. Wolf Spyder

Wolf Spyder Gun Activist

May 26, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Ok, Just one gun. No long guns. Must already own it.

I have several handguns to choose from and I have a fair amount of ammo for each... I would go with one of my 10mm Glock 20's.

1) The 10mm is a great cartridge and the Glock 20 is an outstanding sidearm.

2) I have a stock pile of 10mm ammunition in different flavors.

3) Glocks are very reliable and handle abuse very well.

4) I have lots of gear to support the Glock 20. Everything from holsters, to magazine pouches, to extra parts.

5) I shoot it very well.

6) I have a couple of magazines for it...

7) Finding .40 S&W to feed it will be easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Pitt

Pitt Gangstalicious

Jun 7, 2004
    South Carolina
    I like how you think Natty.

19. Pitt

Pitt Gangstalicious

Jun 7, 2004
    South Carolina
    Love these types of questions because you really get a chance to see what most the thinking types would use.

Given the parameters of the question, 9mm gets a big nod for all the reasons mentioned.

A year ago: Glock 35, g.3 w/ a LW 9mm conversion barrel.

(12) G17/G34 mags
    (3) G18 big sticks
    (10) G22 mags (in case i find or trade for .40 ammo)

Add a LW .357 Sig barrel and an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit, the gun is good for 4 calibers.

I feel I could throw a hurting on some (dirty) hippie-zombies with that.

Unfortunately, I sold my gen.3 G35 last year and have yet to find a replacement.

My second choice would be a Glock 34 (gen. 4). Other than being able to be converted to other calibers, it offers the same advantages as my first choice.

Unfortunately, I don't own of these and my preps money has been going to food and long guns and that ain't changing in the foreseeable future.

So for me, the winner will be my American Glock with a safety, my Ruger SR9. Since I got that, my Glock 32 has been sitting in my gunsafe. Next handgun will probably be an SR9c, just because its small.