close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about your M1A rifle!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Dogbite, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite
    Expand Collapse
    DNT TREAD ON ME

If you have ever owned a Springfield M1A tell me all about your experiences with it. I have been thinking about getting one. I want the full length barrel synthetic stock model. I know its heavy. Did you like it? Was yours reliable? I have been told they are very accurate. I want to hear from owners!! Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SauerChoi

SauerChoi
    Expand Collapse

I own a SA M1A Loaded with a Stainless barrel and the Walnut stock. They did have synthetic models but they had all these crazy ass rails on it that I didn't want.

It's been fine for me other than the gas plug coming loose on the last range trip. I have shot commercial .308 hunting rounds and Malaysian surplus and it has cycled everything for me.

As far as it being heavy, I don't think it's any heavier than other semi 308 rifles that I've owned.

3. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Nice rifles from every thing I hear. I really like the Scout model with walnut :)

[​IMG]

:)

4. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I dont own one personally, but a very generous friend does own one. His is 10+ yrs old so its not a new production.

It is fun, accurate, and reliable. Its very fun to shoot. If you can afford it I highly recommend it. Its out of my budget, but its a great rifle no doubt.

He also has an awesome CMP Garand that I long for.

Honestly its not the rifle that is out of my budget, its the ammo. I buy this rifle I am gonna wanna the crap out of it.

5. SauerChoi

SauerChoi
    Expand Collapse

I am going to wanna the crap out of it? LOL :tongueout:

6. byf43

byf43
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

A good friend of mine had an early SAI M1A (serial # 057xxx) that he had accurized by Mr. Charles Maloney.

This rifle is a piece of perfection!!

He shot an FNFAL and decided that he wanted one.
    I offered to buy this M1A whenever he was ready to sell.

It is now in my gunsafe!!

It is now a "SuperMatch". (It will shoot sub-MOA groups at 200 yards - off of a Bulls Bag, all day long.)
    Kreiger hvy match barrel
    Unitized gas cylinder
    Fajen AA walnut stock and handguard (glass-bedded)
    Barreled action shipped to "300 Below" and cryo'd.
    Did have a SAI 3rd Gen scope mount (now tossed into a drawer)
    Now has a Sadlak Ind. steel scope mount, Leupold Mk IV rings, Nikon BuckMasters 4.5-14x40 mm scope

This rifle weighs a couple of ounces less than 15 lbs, empty.

#6 byf43, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. dewidmt

dewidmt
    Expand Collapse
    Gunaholic

I had one of the SOCOM 16 M1A's for about 3 years. Sold it when the price of mil-surp .308 went through the roof. Great shooter! Wish I had kept it cuz now I'm looking at a Scout Squad model really hard!

8. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc
    Expand Collapse

My Springfield is about 12 years old. It shoots everything I feed it and does so with good accuracy. I've shimmed the gas system which helps even more. Since the pic it now sports a SADLAK mount and Nikon scope, which is a great combination. Do yourself a favor and get a M1A, you'll love it.

[​IMG]

9. cessnastud

cessnastud
    Expand Collapse
    Rawr!!!

I have a loaded, standard, and a scout squad. I dig 'em all. All three were ringing steel at a 500 yard KD Appleseed. Great triggers and great iron sights coupled with some mil-surp 7.62 and a G.I. sling. What's not to love?

#9 cessnastud, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

I dont have an M1A but I do have a Polytech M14-S.

The difference is mine has a forged receiver vs cast. The internals have all been upgraded with Smith Enterprise Inc, Sadlak and USGI parts. It was a competition gun prior to me getting my grubby little hands on it lol.

[​IMG]

Its sitting in this stock for now. Waiting on optics.
    [​IMG]

11. hogship

hogship
    Expand Collapse
    It's MY Island

I had a SA M1A about 15 years ago. My impression was it's a very high quality rifle. Reliable, accurate, well made, built tough as nails.......

I suppose the reason why I bought one was for sentimental reasons......I went through basic training in the army with an M14, at Ft. Lewis WA in 1967. Packing one of these heavy rifles on a long forced march is something that sticks in my memory, as well! :supergrin:

ooc

12. Brazos

Brazos
    Expand Collapse

I have had a MIA "Loaded" model since the late 90's. It's a serious piece of machinery. When I got it I used it for deer hunting. Worked well. Still use it sometimes. Mine will shoot 1"+/- groups with ammo it likes. If it doesn't like a paticular ammo it may be an 8" group. For hunting I found Winchester Supreme 168gr Silver Tip's are extremrly accurate. I call it my Caddilac. It's big, heavy, and a dream to shoot.

13. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

I keep debating so much this(M1A Scout), M1 garand or FAL or M4 platform lol right when I think im set(and I think im set with the M1 Garand as my next purchase) a thread like this comes up lol.

14. phalanxr

phalanxr
    Expand Collapse

Had a m1a scout walnut stock loved it, one of the only guns i regret selling.

-Phal

15. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Can't go wrong wit any of those choices. I have had all but the M1A but currently only have ARs. The FAL is a beast of a rifle, very nice :) The Garand is just pure and simple American bad ***** history :cool:

Man now I want them all again :rofl:

16. sns3guppy

sns3guppy
    Expand Collapse

The M1A family of rifles are a lot of fun. They're addictive: bet you can't stop with just one. I couldn't. I enjoy shooting them a lot more than other rifles, and can't really say why, other than they really seem to grow on you.

In the same way that there are handguns, and then there's shooting single action colt-pattern revolvers (love Vaqueros), there are lots of different rifles, and then there are M1A's (M14 pattern). Garands, too. There's a lot you can do with them, a lot of upgrading, and they can be quite accurate. They're comfortable, and fun to shoot.

If terminal ballistics are a concern go with at least a 18" bbl.

17. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

I know thats the problem...I already have a AK74 so the "smaller" caliber center fire rifle is taken care of but id like the "larger" .30 caliber center fire also...Its just gonna be a range queen and both the M1 Garand and any .308 are rather pricey to shoot . I DO like the historical part of the M1 though and thats why I think im going with it...i also like the M1A/M14 for the fact that thats the gun my Dad used when he was in the military.....though he did use the M1 Garand in basic then got issued the M14 when they switched over. He said that he and most of his friends actually shot the M1 Garand better/more accurately than the M14. Said he always qualified perfect with the M1 Garand and always seemed to miss 3 or 4 with the M14 at the range.

18. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

True, many good reason there :)

The Garand can have issue shooting standard .30-06 so keep that in mind as well. If it s going to be a range gun I would go with the Garand, it will make a great heirloom gun. :)

19. nbkky71

nbkky71
    Expand Collapse

I started shooting NRA highpower matches with mine back in the day. I've since transitioned to the AR15 but she still comes out of the safe every now and then.

Mine started life as a loaded model and has made several trips to the gunsmith for upgrades over the years. She's gone from loaded to NM specs and most recently to a full- tilt double lug supermatch build.

The only issue that I've had with mine was in it's "loaded" state. The SA factory bolt was experiencing some excessive wear around the firing pin hole, so I had it swapped out with a USGI bolt.

While wood is sexy, I'd highly recommend a synthetic stock such as a USGI version. Lord knows my rifle has been drenched a few times shooting HP matches in the rain! Mine now sports a McMillan but you have to bed the action when using that stock. The Troy, VLTOR and Sage stocks are really nice too, but pricey.

As with byf43, mine shoots really well with USGI M852/FGMM ammo. The best that I could get out of it was around 3/4 MOA, off the bench with a rest.

Great rifles, but they are pricey. If you want to wring the most accuracy out of them, you'll need deep pockets. Unfortunately, accuracy costs with an M1A.

[​IMG]

#19 nbkky71, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  20. SMSTRICK

SMSTRICK
    Expand Collapse
    "WE THE PEOPLE"

[​IMG] By smstrick69 at 2012-03-07[/IMG]
    [​IMG] By smstrick69 at 2012-03-07[/IMG]

I bought exactly what you are looking for. I removed the synthetic stock and attached a old wooded stock with the metal butt plate. I zeroed this rifle in to 25m / 200m crossover (1 inch group at 25 m.) After sighting, I loaded a full 20 round mag and shot at a metal target that was 6 inches square at 218 meters away. I hit it 19 out of 20 shots,...just taking time to take a breath between shots ( shooting from the hood of my truck.)

I have owned MANY rifles throughout my life. This M1A is by far the best iron sight, accurate heavy hitter that I own. I love it. The accuracy of this gun never ceases to amaze me. This is now my primary battle rifle. My precision rifle is my REM 700P LTR TWS / 308.

If you indeed purchase one, look online and upload the article "Becoming Riflemyn." This article is by far the very best that I have seen for setting up and shooting the M1A rifle. I push this info onto everyone who will take the time to listen.

I have owned MANY AR-15's throughout the years,...but since I have purchased and and been steadily shooting my M1A, it is my primary (either this or my 12 GA pump Rem 870 S.P.) The M1A lives up to its reputation. It is one of the most accurate production, open site battle rifles that you will ever shoot after sighting, out of the box.

I put a USGI "seat belt" web sling on my M1A because it is so light and quickly adjustable (not shown in the pics.) The only other mods that I have made to this rifle was to have my gun smith smooth out my trigger to a crisp 3 3/4 - 4 lb pull (made a HUGE difference.)

#20 SMSTRICK, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012