Tell Me About the Smith and Wesson 1006.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Tell me about the Smith 1006 10mm, AKA Sonny Crockett's sidearm. I may have a line on a trade.

Mags expensive? Mags available?

Good trade for a Glock?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. gunsmoke92

Silver Member

The 1006 is an awesome 10 mm. I can't speak to the availability or price of mags, but a Glock for a Smith trade can't be all bad. The S&W Gen 3 semi autos were, and are some of the most solid firearms on the market. Good Luck, if you do the deal, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

3. I've kept my eye out for one and have decided it won't come via Gunbroker at the prices they get there. I might pay that much for one but only "in hand". It's safe to say they re running in the "for that I could get two Glocks" range.

All the 10mm fans that have one just talk about them to make me jealous.

4. My guess is that the 10mm third generation pistols are going to continue to creep up in value and that the.45 third generation pistols will trail them by a couple hundred and a year or two.

5. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I have heard that mags are becoming scarce, but I have nothing official there, just rumor. I have found that Smith mags were always a little more expensive than the run of the mill, but not quite as bad as HK or Sig. I have mine so I am not too worried.

Just for clarification. Sonny carried a Bren Ten in 10mm, then switched to the 645, then later to the 4506. To the best of my knowledge he did not carry a 10mm Smith.

6. Its one of the best 3rd gen Smiths ever built and certainly a classic 10mm. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonny's 10mm was the Bren Ten though. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Excellent trade of a Glock, as 10mm Smiths will only continue to appreciate.

All of the 3rd Gen 10mm Smiths have a good cult following. The 1006 was one of the wider produced models. I had a 1026 that I was forced to part with a couple of years ago. Much lower production numbers. The needle in a haystack model is the (full size, DAO) 1046, few were produced. This was all the product of the S&W 'Gun of the Month' production scheme.

Used mags are a bit pricey, as they have been out of production for over 15 years, give of take.

8. Bull & bac beat me to it.

9. I stand corrected on Sonny. Thanks guys. I think that I'll pass on this one. My next one wil be a classic Smith Magnum revolver.

10. Magazines are getting expensive and hard to find, but the S&W Third Generation 10MM are worth the effort. My favorite is the 1076, but I have a 1006 too and it's a great 10MM.

11. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

I have a 4506-1 and it is a great gun. Magazines are plentiful and Promag Magazines are good to go.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

If you want to get picky, Crockett's original gun was a Sig P220.

[​IMG]

13. Yeah, it's a cool pistol. DeNiro carried a P220 in "Heat" as well.

14. The 1006 is the M1 Abrahams of 10mm guns and as accurate as you can be with a firearm. I have nothing but good things to say about them other than I regret ever getting rid of it. The magazines can still be (or could a year or two ago) purchased directly from S&W and I know prices have changed by now but they were $17.00 per.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Mags still available from SW for probably in the $30s.

I saw a 1006 and passed on it. The guy wanted too much for a beat-up gun, and SW autos never did much for me.

16. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Actually , to get extremely picky. That isn't a 220, it is a Browning BDA. the main difference being it has a heel type magazine release. I guess it is a Sig clone of sorts.

http://www.miamivicechronicles.com/weapons-faqs/

17. I am going to be the negative one. I had a FBI return 1076. Its big, clunky, DA pull is stiff, SA pull is good, mags were hard to find at the time, and muzzle flip with full power 10mm was pronounced.

The 1006's I've shot were better on the flip but still a huge gun. I don't really collect S&W semi's so I sold it and converted it to a Colt Special Combat. I honestly don't miss it.

For a shooter 10mm I say the Delta Elite (and other 1911 10mm's) and G20 are better platforms. The Delta edges with the trigger pull, but over all the G20 is hard to beat.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The P220 is the correct model number. The Browning BDA is a P220 that was imported into the US by Browning because SIG did not have a commercial presence in the US yet.

As far as heel versus side mag release, the original P220 and P225 had the Euro favored heel releases. Later on they were upgraded to side button because that's how Americans roll.

19. WAIT! I need new batteries in my pace maker...

Did you just write that a Promag Mag works?

Damn! That's a first for me... :) Honestly, I don't have a SW but I never had a Promag operate correctly--a few tries and then avoid them like the plague.

20. Smith 450X............the gun of every dirty cop on tv.