Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.
Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Beware Owner, Dec 21, 2011.
Is this bascially the AK ammo in an AR without changing the gun much?
Basically, yeah. All you need is a barrel change to switch from 5.56. Price is still high but coming down. It's already cheaper than 6.8 or Grendel.
It actually has better ballistics than the 7.62x39
According to AAC, the supersonic ammunition has better ballistics than the comparable 7.62 x 39 bullet. From experience, the subsonic .300 BLK is effective out to 200 yards, but there's a good deal of muzzle drop involved. Suppressed, it is extremely quiet. From a 9" barrel, all I could hear was the recoil spring moving. I do like the fact that the round uses the same bolt face as 5.56 as well as the same magazine without lowering capacity.
I have a couple of them.
Here are the pluses:
- You can shoot it with an 8" barrel & still have great ballistics (unlike the 5.56 which needs 10.5")
- Easy to suppress and sounds quieter than a suppressed 9mm w/ an AAC 762SD silencer
- Does not destroy your silencer and you can use 9mm suppressor w/ subsonic ammo
- Extremely reliable in the AR platform due to casing and seating dimensions
- Lots of offerings in terms of ballistics (can be used to hunt big game)
- Same mags as 5.56 w/ same capacity so no need to buy more mags for your 300 upper
- Same receiver, bolt, and lower reciever as your 5.56
- Very accurate; so accurate that through my 10.5" barrel I hit sub MOA consitently
- More expensive to shoot than the 5.56 (about the same as a 6.8 currently)
- Cheaper ammo is still being created but will settle at about $0.60/round
- 220gr. subsonic ammo does not have great terminal balistics
- You have to shoot supersonic (140-175gr) to hunt (approx = 30/30 in hunting abilities)
- Ammunition is heavy compared to 5.56 when 7 mags are packed in your carry vest
That's about what I can come up with.
So it really wouldn't be a great advantage to switch from 6.8 to 300 since I reload.
Reloading is not really the issue of whether the 300 Blackout is better for you or not than the 6.8mm.
The biggest factor will be if you shoot suppressed/want a really short SBR that is still very capable. The 300 Blackout is equal to the 6.8mm in most every area but the suppressability is what gives the 300 the major edge over the 6.8mm platforms.
I guess I didn't find an excuse for getting more equipment.
300 BLK brass is in the 10 cent to 25 cent a case range. 6.8 is in the 50 cent to 80 cent a case range.
Way cheaper than 6.8. Here are some examples using NEW Remington brass at full MSRP:
Now imagine when the discount ammo comes out using once-fired brass - I am expecting $9 a box.
My Friend, My Hero, the AR freak! You and Bac are bad influences!
Good info Robert. I was not aware that the cheaper 300 BLK had hit the market. I will definitely be buying some up.
Spiffums - you crack me up
Best not to wait to buy the UMC - it is in short supply until Feb when more tooling arrives.
Do you think Ruger will make the Mini-14 in the 300 BLK caliber?
I have not heard. Kel Tec is planning some rifles though.
Why? They make the Mini 30, and Mini 14 in 6.8, the real advantage to the 300 is silenced and short barrels.
Honestly, unless your plans are for a short barrel or suppressed, your better of with the 556, 6.5 or 6.8. IMO if your wanting to hunt with a AR based rilfe your far better off with a 6.8, I have a 556 (cant hunt), 6.5, 6.8 and a 300, all I use the 300 for is suppressed, the 6.8 for hunting, as I think its a better short range round than the 6.5, now the 6.5 excells out beyond 400 over the 6.8, but its sweet spot barrel length is 18-20 inch barrels where the 6.8's tops out at 16". Two different breeds for two different purposes.
Ok...I didn't know that. I thought it was a more effective round all the way around, not just for suppressors and short barrels.
I'm leaning toward purchasing a 5.56 Mini-14 esp for the less expensive ammo. It's the closest rifle I know as a tactical carbine. AK's/AR's and any pistol grip rifles are not allowed in my city.
Where the hell do you live?
Damn. That place is looney. Ridiculous.