close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Teachers should be given sticky foam guns.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frank4570, Dec 29, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570

That stuff the army experimented with a while back, perfect for schools.
    Not as good as a gun, I know. But a lot of the teachers are all about butterflys and puppie dogs, not the kind of person to carry a gun.
    That elementary school principal at Sandy Hook tried to tackle the shooter. If she had hosed him down with the foam that may have been the end of his spree.
    I read the foam is so strong you can stick a person to a wall and they can't get out of it. That stuff would get all over the shooter, his gun, his mags, his face and hands.
    And since it is not dangerous there shouldn't be any objections from the non-violence crowd.
    Not as good a solution as a gun, but a lot better than begging.

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

The sticky foam guns are funny stuff.

The other side of that is, when people are given tools that are big, bulky, heavy and they dont ever need them....such tools end up put up and rotting to the point of not working when, and if you ever need it, it isnt around and doesnt work.

Less lethal weapons for life or death sitations is an answer in search of a question.

3. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

They would all be empty after the first week of school.

4. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I would agree with that.

The only less than lethal option that might work would be a Taser. My understanding though is they take considerable more training than a gun to use effectively. Plus you need to be fairly close to your assailant.

If you're going to arm someone I think they need to be armed with the most effective weapon they can use. Which is usually a side-arm of some kind.

5. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Teachers should teach kids...period.

You would never ask your plumber to perform a root canal. You would get a qualified dentist because that is an important job that needs to be done right. The dentist has specialized training and experience and would not hesitate to do the job right (hopefully).

Police should protect schools and the kids inside. Find a way to pay for it and getting done. Many communities are taking it upon themselves to do it, and if it had been done after Columbine the tragedy in Newtown would have a chance at a different outcome. Certainly not a guaranty, but a chance...and that is much better than what they had and what many millions of kids in our "gun free" schools have now.

You wouldn't put your money in a bank without armed guards...why should we send our kids to schools that don't take that basic (and proven effective) first step. I don't care what you think about guns... A safe environment for children is fairly universal.

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

While you are spraying the foam, he is emptying his magazine. Who will win.

7. UtahIrishman

You may not ask your plumber to perform a root canal, but if you have a leaky faucet don't you do what you can to stop the leak before you call the plumber?

Arming teachers, if they choose to do so, is a way of stopping, or slowing down, a leaky faucet until the plumber arrives.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  8. frank4570

frank4570

How well can you run your gun while it and your mags, and your face are filled with great stuff foam insulation?
    The brave principal died anyway, and her bravery was wasted. If she had foamed him, or pepper sprayed him, or Tazed him it would probably have saved lives even if she died trying. It is likely that would have been the end of him right there.

9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

It doesnt matter if you are a plumber or dentist, if someone attacks you, you are thrust into the job of defending yourself.

This isnt about job skills, this is about unavoidable situations. It doesnt matter who you are or what you do, if it happens to you, you have to deal with it.

BTW, I am a Cop who is responsible for schools. I also dont think government should be the default solution to every problem we have. I also dont think this is a problem. Sure, if it happens to you, the math doesnt matter but our schools are safe. Your kids are in far more danger on the ride to school than they are from being involved in a mass shooting in school. Yet for some reason, few want more cops on the roads writing tickets.

You have bought into the sensationalism and the idea that there needs to be a government solution....the idea that there even is a problem.

On another note, very few banks around her have a security guard...might be because of all the armed citizens....

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Yes, while foam is being sprayed, you can shoot and kill. Ask the cops that have to experience Tear Gas and some can still fight through it to lay vengence on the BG.

Foam is a cute theory. It may work if you could drop it all on the BG at once, but time will get you killed.

You need a response in fractions of a second, that what the shooter has.

11. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Teachers should be given semi-automatic handguns with large capacity assault clips.

There is a dead Border Patrolman that tried using less than lethal weapons against a man with an "assault weapon".

Regards,
    Comrade Happyguy :)

12. nursetim

nursetim

How about crossing a fire extinguisher with OC in each class room. Couple that with microphones planted throughout the schools that continues to monitor for gunshots that trigger a call to the police dispatch. Then if you get 3 false positives dispatch calls to confirm gun shots.

13. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I thought about it, but I won't say it.:supergrin::rofl:

14. UtahIrishman

The armed teachers I know that's exactly what they have, except they carry large capacity magazines, not clips. :tongueout:

15. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I have a family full of teachers...none of them need to be armed. My issue with arming teachers (even those 100% for it) is will vs skill. I trust a rookie cop 1000% more than a 23 year English teacher who stepped up to the plate if something really bad happens.

I also don't think .gov is the answer... I think the police provided security could be paid for 100% privately. Lets face it, it's a great cause. I would shift a percentage of my annual charitable donations to that cause in a heartbeat...the NRA could tap its member base for donations...in a pinch the local PD or Sheriff could just ask for a volunteer. That program could start tomorrow.

How many departments have thriving and popular reserve officer programs? They are 100% unpaid, offer training and attract people who want to give back to their community. Maybe these programs could eventually get specialized training and take up that duty.

There are lots of ways implementing the basic idea of a cop in every school that do not involve .gov. I'm for trying every one of them...I just think teachers need to teach, and protectors need to protect.

16. dino1

dino1

And those teachers don't have a right to defend themselves?

I like how everybody thinks that just because you have a gun for "SELF" defence you are going to go Jet Li and cartwheel through the air emptying magazines.

Screw that, I just need to run faster then the guy with out a gun.....

If you brought foam to a gun fight good luck...

17. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Well, there are about 200 Utah school teachers that just took the Utah CCW course who would disagree with you.

Not all school teachers are geeky limp wristed liberals.:aodnsb:

Regards,
    Comrade Happyguy :)

18. UtahIrishman

I don't believe there are enough qualified officers to do what you want, at least not unpaid reserve officers

19. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Fill the fire sprinkler system with glue foam. Put an electronic sensor on each sprinkler head that reacts to a very loud, sharp sound (like a gunshot).

One shot fired = that immediate area being doused with glue.

(I think I just gave away a million dollar idea!)

Kids would also learn, very quickly, to not slam their locker's door shut.

20. countrygun

countrygun

All in all, another chairborne expert with one size-fits-all answers. :upeyes: