close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Teacher gets lesson in Americanism

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Guss, Nov 6, 2013.

1. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

That is a myopic view of freedom in my opinion.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

2. jay1975

jay1975 Ultra Master

Feb 3, 2012
    Colorado
    How is freedom for all myopic?

3. No one has taken the time to explain the JW position on this.

The JW's see the flag as an inanimate object just like an idol.

Their belief is that pledging to the flag violates the second commandment of the Ten Commandments against worshipping idols.

This sure is a religious issue.

If you can take away the rights of the JW's then everyone else who has a moral principle then no one is safe from religious persecution .

:angel:

4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Well said Vic.

:thumbsup:

5. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

You are only free because of the sacrifices of others.

Regards,

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. jay1975

jay1975 Ultra Master

Feb 3, 2012
    Colorado
    I've served for over 17 years, so yeah, I kinda know that. I also know that responsibility is an individual requirement and should not be left to the government. If you willingly allow the government to regulate your activities because you think the people cannot do it themselves, then where would it stop?

7. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    It wouldn't stop. The founding fathers knew this and that's why they were emphatic about NOT giving the federal government more power than it needed. Pity we didn't listen.

8. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    Your freedoms end where mine begin. I don't want to swear any kind of pledge to your God. I shouldn't be forced to. My child shouldn't be forced to. And certainly NOT in a school I help fund paid for by a government who's first amendment is to NOT establish any state religion. Return the pledge to the way it originally was... it didn't used to have "Under God" in it. But you don't like that do you? You say you want to return to old ways. Well in those days the pledge didn't mention God.

Laws that enforce morality don't work. Laws work best when they protect body and property.

There is no such thing as a soul. And your statement is intolerant. This country's personality is made up of conservatives, liberals, homosexuals, hetrosexuals, religious, non-religious, white, black, brown and peoples of all backgrounds. America doesn't belong to you. You don't get to say how it should be. Freedom and justice for ALL... not freedom and justice for JBnTX.

And it is. You're intolerant. And you will lose this fight.

9. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    Why do you want to try to force people to live they way you think is right?

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

It will stop where the people decide it will stop.

Granted, that isn't very comforting.

Regards,

11. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    Can you cite the section in the Constitution where it specifically mentions Christianity? Or even invokes the name Jesus Christ?

I've yet to see it.

12. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    It's ridiculous to define freedom as doing whatever you want as long as you don't harm someone else. Given the latitude to do as they please, people will NOT respect the rights of others and will infringe upon other people's rights every time. History is proof of that.

That's why we need standards of morality and decency that must apply to everyone. The Bible is the best source for those standards. The US Constitution is not.

To remain a free country and a civilized society we must enforce a certain level of morality and decency for the common good.

I don't think many of the posters in this thread have completely thought their opinions through to their conclusion.

13. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've already explained that.

Do you actually think the writers of the Constitution intended for their concept of "freedom of religion" to include a society where anyone could worship any God they chose, or not even worship God if they so desired? I don't think so.

Just the same as they never took into account the rights of minorities and women.

They were making sure that they could worship Christianity as they saw fit without government interference. That's as far as their "freedom of religion" was intended to go.

14. jay1975

jay1975 Ultra Master

Feb 3, 2012
    Colorado
    Says the extremist who wants to force his religious beliefs on others. You sound just like the Taliban. Only your myth is the right way to live and everyone else is wrong. Scary actually to think that there are home grown people like you here.

15. Geko45

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    I don't think you've thought through your position at all. Otherwise, you'd recognize the absurdity of your statements. In order to remain free we must force everyone to believe the same? Seriously? You're not advocating freedom or democracy, you're advocating for a theocracy. It should tell you something that not even the other christians here are backing you on this (which is something I find quite reassuring).

16. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    There are NO other Christians here, at least none that will speak what they really feel.

And in the real world there are plenty of Christians that feel the same way I do.

This country's being overrun with Godlessness and sexual perversion, and it's coming from homosexuals, liberals and atheists who are hell bent on destroying our society.

And there are a lot of people who agree with me on that.

17. Geko45

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Vic, Roering, others, are you paying attention to this? This is why we (atheists) are here arguing all the time. Ya'll should be paying very close attention here because after people like JBnTX get their way in outlawing "homosexuals, liberals and atheists" you can expect them to move on to people that they don't feel are interpreting the bible correctly (i.e. folks like you).

This is why we have an absolute division of church and state in this country, because if we didn't then it would only be a matter of time before someone like JBnTX got control of the reins and really let loose on everyone he doesn't feel honors god in the way he thinks is appropriate.

18. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    There. Fixed it for ya.

Sorry - but if you're going to disrespect every person who doesn't agree with you, you're going to get that disrespect in return.

19. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Jul 15, 2008
    MS
    No, there are several Christians here that believe what you want to allow in the name of Christ, through federal/governmental force or coercion/laws could be turned around into Muslim/Hindu/Judaism/Moonie/Buddhism force at a later time. No where does the Bible teach you should use the government to force your beliefs on anyone else. It's free will to believe and act upon that faith. You would find all kinds of support from believers and non-believers on here if the government was stopping you from believing and acting upon that faith.

I applaud you for standing up for what you believe in and voicing your opinion. Where you cross the line for many believers and non-believers is where you want to force your belief system on others through governmental force.