TBO and the concept of "anti-authority."

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties Issues' started by RickD, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

The Bad One, in a "drug dog" thread in CopTalk linked below brought up the concept that those who started the "drug dog inaccuracy" threads (to include Jsandi's thread in "Civil Liberties"), countered a theory proposed by another poster suggesting that those that would post such a thought were druggies.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324988

TBO countered with:

I have heard this before, and recall the recent rant of a federal agent claiming that someone was "anti-authority" or words to that effect. So I'm guessing it could be a concept more common in squad rooms than one might suspect.

So, my question is, what is "anti-authority" as it relates to an American Citizen under the Constitution?

Rick

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    AAR: Trident Concepts (Jeff Gonzales) "Combative Pistol Level Two" Tactics and Training Aug 15, 2015
    AAR: Sentinel Concepts (Steve Fisher) Critical Handgun Employment Tactics and Training Jul 8, 2015
    Your thoughts on the megaregion concept. The Okie Corral Jun 6, 2015
    A new "Super Center" concept store The Okie Corral May 6, 2015
    Les Baer Concept II...what say ye? 1911 Forums Apr 29, 2015

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

Rick,

You've defined that quite well yourself (posting history).

4. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

It is somewhat ironic that the law-abiding have been labeled such when they object to general law enforcement sweeps. The real "anti" is often law enforcement that no longer bothers to distinguish between lawbreakers and the law-abiding.

The video below is just one example of the abuse of drug sniffing dogs. The video was made by Terry Bressi, the Arizona man who currently has a pending case.

The border patrol officers in the video are conducting a checkpoint well inside the US border. Terry's case has been pending for several years, so the BP is well aware of his identity. The BP, nevertheless, insists on harassing this man. The BP not only has blatant disregard for the Supreme Court decision that prohibits drug checkpoints, they shamelessly attempt to harass a man who won't bow to their baloney.

The video shows the drug dog circling the car. The dog's claws on the car are just another example of the unprofessional and vindictive behavior of the BP. Skip to 6:45 to view this portion.

This is only one example of the BP blurring the line between drug searches and checking immigration status. The recent court decision in favor of motorist Steven Anderson revealed the nonsense of drug sniffing dogs that miraculoulsy detect the immigration status of motorists and passengers.

It is, in fact, no longer blurring the line. We know who the antis are in this case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdDEBT-UoJ0

5. NorthCarolinaLiberty

Here is another incident. Dogs are not employed this time, but listen to the border patrol agent as he says, "What do we usually, just *uck with him?"

Skip to about 4:30 to view anti-citizen behavior.

The entire 6 minute video does a good job summarizing what this case is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd3eBXwBSfU

#4 NorthCarolinaLiberty, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  6. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

Kinda a complicated question; lots of facets to the same issue, not all of which connect to each other.

In very, very broad terms, authority is what imposes order in a community. That can be parental authority in a family or legal authority in society. A segment of the community chafes under that, wholly happy to cause friction--loss of order--for others as long as they get their way. You might remember the recent WI thread: when the protesters were told, "go ahead and stay" some left. They didn't want to stay in the Capitol as much as they wanted to disrupt order and tranquility. Yet the balance between order and freedom is vital to the health of a society. (Read that last again; the whole "balance" thing is key to my views and this discussion.)

Cops see this every day. They are the visible manifestation of the state's authority and they bear the brunt of the juvenile "what about meeeee" rants. We're the ones telling you to turn down the music, the street is closed, those guys have a right to protest, you've had too much to drink---tons of stuff where you don't get it your way because society has a voice, too.

Remember our thread "Reason on consent searches"? The people, including you, who wanted to curtail LE authority (ability is a better word) to ask permission to search people's stuff? Classic example of what we're discussing here. Another example is the myriad of the "Don't ever talk to the police" threads: obstruction for the sake of obstruction, rationalized as exercising rights. Same thing with the dozens of posters in CI who won't respect a property owner's authority to ban guns because the sign wasn't just so, or they weren't told or concealed means concealed: pure rationalization of their disregard for authority in favor of their personal desires.

I now await the accusations of statism, sure to come from those who don't understand the two-sided nature of any contract, including social contracts. Or maybe they skipped over the part where I said how important balance is.

#5 Sam Spade, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  7. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

I wondered if TBO would punt thusly.

Off to a soccer game.

8. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

Rick,

Take a look at the post above yours.
    Secondly, do you have a counter to what I posted, or just a quip?

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

ME!
    I am anti everything! Grow up, be responsible and do the right thng, I need no one to tell me what to do or believe. :tongueout:

10. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

That's why I started the thread. It seems an obtuse accusation.

"Don't ever talk to police" is standard defense attorney fare (three in my family and every defense attorney I have ever known would adhere to this utterly commonplace piece of advice). So, in this case, it is a positive thing, correct? You wouldn't chastise an attorney who's professional standards require him to take that tack -- and the laymen who practice it on their own?

The defense attorney would say that this is a commonplace exercise of basic rights. Your (or is it a common LEO assumption) position (opinion) that it is "obstruction for the sake of obstruction" isn't well supported.

Perhaps, (I won't argue the point at this time because sometimes those in authority are arguably evil --Jim Crow, 'Death Panels,'), but what does that have to do with linking a charge of "anti-authority" with the mere posting of a thread topic? You described and overt act (disobeying the intent of a sign) vs expressing an opinion (posting thoughts or linking a contrarian study on a forum). The acts seems to lack equivalency, and I question the over-wrought reaction to the latter.

11. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

I'm not about to go chasing links to threads. If you have something to say, say it here.

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

Everything, when the context has been well established by the posters long consistent history.

I believe even the most genuinely obtuse poster understands that concept.

13. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

Rick, you need to look at the bigger picture. While some people filed ethics complaints out of honest concern, there's no doubt whatsoever that other filed on Palin purely as an attack. Pointing to people who're concerned doesn't negate the attacks.

Likewise, just because not talking to cops is often wise exercise of one's rights the instances of obstruction based on dislike of authority can't be wished away.

And many posters bring up stuff that is troubling, looking to exchange ideas or learn something. Others are simply anti-authority, playing "gotchya" even as they play with the truth.

Nowhere did TBO lump all posters into the anti-authority mememe crowd. That doesn't mean that those who fall there need to be given a pass on their bias.

14. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

I have no problem with "bias," if they can back it up. Chris Matthews is biased one way -- if he can back it up, fine. Hannity the other, same applies.

15. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

So is it your assertion that there isn't a streak of anti-authoritarianism to be found on these boards? Or are you just asking what constitutes that streak?

16. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

Wrong on both.

I want to know that "anti-authoriatism" is.

17. RussP

What holds society together, Rick?

18. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

That's an interesting question... should I start a new thread for you?

I'd just like an answer to my original question, though.

19. RickD

RickD Pro-Open Curry
    Millennium Member

20. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

Post 5.

21. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I look at the definition of anti-authority in a larger historical context. I believe that it once stood for a liberalism (totally different from today’s liberalism) grounded in valued qualities like individualism. It almost disappeared as quickly as we wrested it from Britain, as some of the founding fathers had to fight for basics like the Bill of Rights. Leaders like Jefferson and Jackson could even be described as anti-authority, even while serving as president.

This liberalism slowly degenerated into an insidious statism that enveloped the country with each passing decade. It became so entrenched that people’s criticisms are now often described as fringe. Anyone who describes the complexities of the Civil War beyond the popular slavery explanation must be a moon shining rebel. Those who criticize social security retirement benefits must be uncaring towards our seniors. Anyone who ever invokes the fourth amendment must be a criminal loving hippy from the 1960s.

It is unfortunate that some view anti-authority as people who question the actions, or even existence, of organizations like the TSA. If someone questions the existence of checkpoints, then they must be for drunks and illegals. Questioning zero tolerance, of course, must mean that you’re a rule breaker with something to hide.

It’s also too bad that things like TV and pop culture notions of balance have become the benchmark for evaluating the health of a society. Today’s world means that the person questioning anything might have an attitude and is probably due for some re-educating. Certainly the CSI watching audience on GlockTalk has accurately pegged the sociopathic GT members.

Time will tell if the U.S. has reached its peak and is on its way out. If that happens, it won’t be because of popular explanations regarding crime and antisocial behavior. Crime rises and falls over time, and its overall impact on contemporary society is insignificant. The OP mentioned the US Constitution. If we continue to ignore amendments like the 4<SUP>th</SUP>, 8<SUP>th</SUP>, and 10<SUP>th</SUP>, then we’ll certainly be on our way out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.