Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Taurus PT1911 or STI Spartan ?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by tancol, Jun 21, 2010.

1. tancol

Feb 22, 2007
    hi to all brods... any comment about taurus PT1911 and STI spartan? any shooter here to give his first hand experience about this gun? I look forward for any suggestion which is better of the two...thanks
  2. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Go for the spartan. I know 3 people who love theirs. STI and Armscor have been making 1911's for a long time now. Taurus just recently came out with their PT1911.

3. BuckeyeBlast

Dec 24, 2009
    STI: reputation for making quality guns

Taurus: hit or miss from my experience, most feel reputation for making junk.

STI vs Taurus, go w/ the STI IMO, but my experience is limited to having recently handling both, shooting neither.
  4. ahtsay

Jan 16, 2006
    Although I don't own a Spartan, I have 2 STi Edge. I have been more than happy with the quality of STi guns and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. If they are the same price, get the Spartan. If the STi is more expensive, save ka nalang muna ng pera before you buy the STi :supergrin:
  5. Saprtan....... basicaly a RE-packaged ARMSCOR. IMHO:cool:
  6. ahtsay

Jan 16, 2006
    They sell the Spartan in the US under the STi badge. Therefore I don't think STi would allow any firearms that is not up to their standard to sell in the US. :) In other forums in the US, they gave the Spartan a very nice rating for it's price.
  7. itch

Jun 28, 2007
    +1 with ahtsay

STI wouldn't put their brand name to it if it's not competitive enough.

I have a Spartan although I ain't much of a Single Stacker I find value to its quality. Very tight fitting, got mine last December 2009 only. Just a hundred rounds thru it. Fed nicely and fired flawlessly. You'll never go wrong if you choose the Spartan.

here's a pic of mine
  8. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

Aug 28, 2005
  9. STI Spartan. Armscor makes the frame, slide and barrel, but STI supplies the fire control parts. That's why they can have a quailty shooter, yet keep the price down.
  10. De Angelo

De Angelo

Jan 6, 2009
    Fired my friends STI and now want one!!
  11. Beulah

Apr 7, 2008
    STI: Winner by majority votes. :wavey:
  12. darth board

darth board steel killer

Jan 16, 2006
    if only they have it in 40 caliber i'll buy one.
  13. randr1979

May 3, 2010
  14. Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    BOGs ba to o tsikot?
    dami mga brand loyalists
    it's a 1911, even mga backyard gunsmiths know how to make one
    what EXACTLY ba ang kinaganda ng spartan sa taurus?
    price?bakal? parts?fit?all holes exactly in the right place? finish? overall value? mags? etc...
    has anyone even shot/seen a taurus?

mejo malabo yata if you tell us mas accurate yung isa , or mas reliable, or mas masarap iputok or if it's made by sti it must be good

That said , if I'd get a std gun , it will be an sti edge
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  15. Well, one can argue that firearms are just like any other consumer product...and like it or not, branding is powerful. It influences choice.

Sometimes..even to the point of ignoring actual product attributes, in a comparison.
  16. Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    well, this is big time band of glockers , bawal dito fanboys at di pwede masilaw sa brands heehee taray
    Sa newbies lang naman importante ang prestige ng brand name
    Sa mga amoy pulbura , performance at reliability ang hanap

this reminds me of the shadow vs cz75/85
    shadow owners di papayag pareho lang performance ng cz75 heehee just because it's overhyped by the world champ who's paid to shoot it
  17. Another good point master allegra I had used both guns. The Taurus PT1911 was issued to the selected few brgy. chairmans in Binan, Laguna and the STI spartan from a couple of my clients. If you are going to shoot those firearms one after the other including the ARMSCOR 1911 FS you wont be able to tell the difference when it comes to reliability and accuracy. Take note: all the guns we tried are all "out of the box" and tested before the election ban of 2010 at CCIS shooting range. If you are planning to sell the gun later you better get the "BRANDED" 1911's. But for personal use and planning to have it "pimped" by your favorite gunsmith later just get a norinco1911 or an armscor. Just my humble opinion.........Peace:cool:
  18. mtho

Nov 18, 2005
    Price of the taurus and spartan are about the same. maybe the taurus a bit more expensive. but the spartan has an sti trigger group which is quite good. imho the spartan would give you more value for your money.
  19. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Nov 25, 2003
    Same story on the Springfield XD and the HS line.
  20. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Getting specific:

I'd go for the Spartan because the Taurus has that lock they install that locks the fire control mechanism. This is one more thing that might break or malfunction.

That being said, if I had 40k pesos to burn AND I was craving for a 1911, I'd buy a firestorm commander and have a gunsmith tune it to my specs.

Actually, I did that a few months ago. Cost me a little less than 45k.