close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Taser lead failure

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by FM12, Sep 20, 2012.

1. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    Alabama
    One of our guys tazed an arrestee the other night. The right lead broke off (or never was connected) and had to go to drive stun mode. Not sure of the lot on the lead, but just a heads up: be ready for drive stun if the original shot fails!

Anyother instances of this? Thanks

2. jbglock

jbglock

Aug 18, 2012
    You sure it broke off? I've never had a cartridge fail nor have I seen one fail. I've personally had one lead go into a loose cover garment while the other made it into the stomach area which of course made a nice loud popping sound but no real effect. I wouldn't call it a failure of the cartridge though.

3. socalchuckster

socalchuckster

Nov 15, 2004
    Stuck in WA
    Another reason I love the new X2.....instant back up shot capability

4. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    Alabama
    TO JBGlock: Yep never was attached. Saw the whole thing from 3 feet. I took out the barb myself.

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Happens all the time. We usually dart someone once or twice a week. I don't even use mine anymore. It would have to be perfect conditions to meet our stupid policies on it.

Its easier for me to punch someone in the face.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Never seen one happen. Just like anything, you could end up with a bad round of ammo in your firearm. Always be prepared.

7. jbglock

jbglock

Aug 18, 2012
    My agency isn't huge but none of us have every experienced this. I doubt a week has passed in years that someone hasn't gotten tased. Some weeks multiple people get tased. I do believe it could happen but I don't think it is frequent based on my own experience. When we have a failure it is usually because of a miss on the run or one barb ends up in some loose outer garment.

8. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    I'm pretty sure this is a standard recommendation of the Taser training these days. ;) They don't promise that the device will work flawlessly every time. The new curriculum also emphasizes (repeatedly) "Remember other Use of Force options and do not become too dependent on the Taser!"

9. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Oct 5, 2001
    Arizona
    The 9th Circus it making it harder and harder. I'd love to see some of these liberal judges actually come out and deal with some of the people they think are committing a "not especially egregious" crime without a pretty effective tool like the taser.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. shootindave

shootindave

Feb 15, 2007
    Missouri
    I have seen X26 cartridge failures multiple times. Usually the bottom probe going nuts and bouncing off the ground after a foot or so. Or not attached, or a complete failure.

The only failure I have had with the taser in my hand was the thing not going off at all..... it just started a weird countdown on the back of the taser display...... awesomeness.

Dave

11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Probably the same cycle it goes through when the DPM is inserted. This was a significant issue for us in the past and is recognized as an issue by Taser. They provide a shim to install that prevents the contacts from moving. I believe that using the XDPM, particularly with a spare cartridge installed, and then using the device as a hand rest is a factor much of the time.

12. After several times using the Taser, I've found it to be marginally effective unless the ideal conditions, environmental and legal, have been met. I like OC much better. So far I have a 100% efficacy rate. I've seen more grown men sit on the ground and cry like babies after being OC's than I have from the same demographic being tased.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012