close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Targets. What do ya shoot at?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by WarCry, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I use cardboard targets and bottles filled with coloured water as the two primary things I shoot. Sometimes some fruit or something, but not often.

What I'm looking for is to see what makes for good targets. I've found a couple of things for a "homemade" ballistics gel (basically just REALLY high-density gelatin). I was also thinking of using something like the spray-foam insulator. That stuff seems to set up pretty solidly.

Any thoughts? Is the insulator TOO solid to make a good target? What would you guys recommend for things like this to shoot at that might even be able to demonstrate JHP expansion?

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I like Q targets and B27's for handgun shooting and offhand shooting. I like the Shoot 'n' See targets for rifle shooting from a bench. A cardboard backing is a must.

Then there's .22LR plinking...Anything I have laying around is fair game when it comes to plinking. Old tennis balls can be alot of fun.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    Steel is all I shoot unless I'm sighting in.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Printer paper. If I forget to bring paper with me, I use paper towels from the head.

5. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Standard NRA slow fire and rapid fire targets.

6. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Sounds like me. I tape colored 3x5 notecards on the B-27s

7. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    Pigeons...............clay pigeons, otherwise known as them purty flying orange discs as in trap

8. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Feb 3, 2009
    geriatric paradise
    printer paper with a 1" circle printed in the middle for pistols.
    shoot-n-see targets for rifles.

i got a chance to shoot some 8" steel plate recently. makes a satisfying "ptinggg!!" sound.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Night and day I shoot steel a good bit. Also paper head and silhouette targets that I print by the thousands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    90% of the time steel, cardboard with paper plates or shoot-n-c for sighting in and SD drills. I live where you can shoot safely in a pond or walking a ditch bank, a chunk of wood, acorns, hickory nuts, etc., make good floating targets.

11. garya1961

garya1961

Mar 17, 2012
    NC
    The cheapest paper targets I can find for sighting in, a lot of the time I just make my own. Twenty oz and two liter bottles filled with water for fun.

12. VinnieD

VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    Cans make good targets since they often have the satisfying effect of going flying. I also shoot splatter targets, phone books, and just recently steel.

13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    Mostly steel, unless I am sighting a rifle in; every once in a while some bowling pins....

14. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I've carried these guys to the range with me on every trip out to the range ever since I got them. They are Action Target Evil Roy targets, and they've been great!

[​IMG]

I spray paint the heads in fluorescent orange paint (like the call-before-you-dig guys use to mark underground cables...) and have swapped out the wing nuts with the locking nuts they shipped with instead. The wing nuts came loose too easily, and I was always having to tighten them up after shooting a couple magazines at them.

When using paper targets, I like the Shoot 'n C and splatter targets a lot, especially for the long-range stuff.

15. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    + 1 . Sj 40

16. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I use your run-of-the-mill paper targets. I usually get them at Wally World.

17. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

We go thru several 1qt turbine oil cans a week and as they are steel they go into the 'magnum therapy' can. We go shooting every friday during lunch at a great spot out in the desert a few miles from work and it's a literal blast to dance the oil cans across the desert.

18. Meat.

19. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo