Glock Talk banner

Target ideas?

8K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  aptrpl6 
#1 ·
Anyone have any really "different", "cool", ideas for 22 targets? The grandkids are wanting to shoot again this weekend, and i'm runnin out of ideas. The cardboard boxes, soda cans, etc. are getting pretty boring. They're both pretty good shots and really safety conscious. Good all-around shooting partners. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas to make it a little more interesting for them. Thanks for any help!

#27 ·
I was shooting a small Plastic Pipe all over the range. I didn't succeed in shooting it as it went up in the air for a consecutive shot but it WAS the idea.

Matchboxes, small water bottles, empty ammo boxes (cardboard), fruit like an Apple, small stuffed animals, action figures, and even a candle of various sizes are fun. Melons are fun with big calibers and shotguns.

#29 · (Edited)
I was shooting a small Plastic Pipe all over the range. I didn't succeed in shooting it as it went up in the air for a consecutive shot but it WAS the idea.

Matchboxes, small water bottles, empty ammo boxes (cardboard), fruit like an Apple, small stuffed animals, action figures, and even a candle of various sizes are fun. Melons are fun with big calibers and shotguns.
I was at a range several years ago that had a 10 ft, 4" diameter metal pipe, with a metal plate/hinge on the end, and a red flag attached to the plate.

It was set up on 2 saw horses. The distance was 15 yards. It was a very addictive target to shoot.

You had to send the bullet right down the pipe to get the flag to "jump".

Only God knows how many rounds went thru that pipe.

:supergrin:

#32 ·
Hanging bowling pins. They will take an insane amount of punishment from a .22

#34 ·
I bought a piece of steel from lowes, I think it's like 8x4 inches. Think it was like 8 bucks. I drilled a hole in the middle top edge. I hang mine from an old cleaning rod I bent up. But the more fun thing to do is to hang them from a rope off the bottom of a saw horse or something. That way when you hit them they spin.

#37 ·
Before we get to the neighbors cat stage, thought I'd mention golf balls. Go to a golf course and hide in the woods about half way down the fairway. Every time somebody yells "fore"......... well you get the idea.

#38 ·
Target holder, take a thin stake like a surveyors stake and drive it into the ground a little. The take some tape, I use black tape, and tape one side of the bottom of a clothes line pin to it so that the jaws are upright. I smoke my cigar toward the end then I put it in the clothes pin and shoot off the ashes.

#40 ·
I like pop-star posters from Wally World.
Blowing holes in Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus does the soul good! I've been known to blow away Curtis "50-cent" Jackson on occassion!
I save the 12 ga for those targets.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#43 ·
I posted balloons earlier but recently heard of something that adds incentive to the mix.

For kids. Stencil numbers on paper targets and assign a value for each number/target. Place them randomly and award high scores with prizes.

Not only does it promote accurate shooting, it also instills the sense of competition and may lead to future shooting competition. Which is a whole lotta fun!

#44 ·
If they get cocky . Cheap wally world Aspirins. Rout a shallow groove in a piece of wood to line them up . If they hit wood deduct points. You might be surprised how good those young eyes can get a rimfire to shoot !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.