close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Target ammo (9mm)

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Shiloh228, Jan 14, 2013.

1. About to take delivery on my first gun, a G19 Gen 3, and have been researching a lot of stuff, just itching to get to the range!

I've been shopping for target ammo, and -- like everyone else -- am finding most places out of stock.

I know the conventional wisdom is "the cheapest you can find" but I'm also aware of concerns about extraction/ejection/etc. for sub-par ammo.

Based on what I've read (here on GT and elsewhere), I've been focusing on the Winchester 115gr ("WWB") -- and can't find any right now. So, I guess I need to expand my shopping list, so when something that's OK pops up, I can buy some.

Question for the collected wizards here: What is a good-performing, similarly-priced alternative to WWB?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. CCI Independence 115g FMJ ammo is good for range use. my LGS normally has about 10 50rd boxes in stock at any given time, So I'll buy about 2 per week.

It used to cost about $12 per box, but now is around $16...still cheap(ish), and have never had an issue with it. 500rnds with no BTF or FTF or FTE.

I keep a surplus of 500 rounds on hand (like a savings account...for bullets), and anything I buy after that is used at the range.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

3. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Apr 24, 2011
    PRONJ
    At this point, I would take almost any factory 9mm I could get my hands on if I were you, but I would not pay $25/50 box or anything close to that.

I've been checking online ammo sources daily, such as sgammo, palmettostate, Cheaperthandirt, because inventory changes and something might pop up.

And local stores too. Hopefully this will clear up soon.

Check this out... $14/50 box. not bad.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/aguila/1000-rd-case-9mm-luger-aguila-124-grain-fmj-ammo-limit-2-cases

Edit: Sold Out 20+ cases in less than 2 hrs.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    S&B, Fiocchi, Independence, Magtech and CCI Blazer Brass and PMC Bronze all offer 115 or 124gr FMJ similar (or better in the case of Ind, MT, Fiocchi, and S&B) to Win Wt box stuff.

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Also consider 147gr ammo like the American Eagle stuff. It's good accurate range ammo.

6. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Shiloh228,

I have a Gen 3, G19 and (in the past) I have had ejection issues with 115g factory rounds. "some" of the ammo out there just doesn't have enough umph to work the slide properly.

I have since switch to 124g ammo and have had not one issues at all. Now I just reload my own (hint... hint) but I still just use the 124g bullets.

As for availability of ammo... wow your guess is as good as mine. Last weekend my friend and I stopped into 4 different stores on the same day and 2 out of four were completely out of any 9mm ammo. The other two had a few boxes of this or that in 9mm but not much.

I like Federal American Eagle for factory target ammo but I haven't seem much of it lately.

Good luck

7. Slalom.45

Slalom.45

Jan 13, 2013
    Louisiana
    I just purchased a Gen 4 19 ostensibly for the wife... but I have been shooting it a bit! I was a bit concerned about the Gen 4 19 as I heard a fair number of reports of FTE issues with it.

We put about 200 rounds of WWB NATO 124gr from Academy through it without issue. I was back at Academy last week and decieded to take a shot on a box of Monarch (Academy labled) 115gr steel cased ammo. At $11 per box I had to give it a try. Put the box through it yesterday without issue. I felt weaker than the WWB 124, but shot close to the same point of aim and for the price I will buy more.

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    For plinking 9mm with a G19 almost anything will do. I have run wolf and WWB and lots of others.

Right now, I would tell you to buy what you can find.

In the future, my guess would be that WWB at Walmart should be very cost effective. And Wolf online was not that much cheaper.

I will also suggest that you pickup your brass. If you decide to reload you will want it. If you live close to me it can be your Christmas present to me. :supergrin:

9. LarryNC

LarryNC Millennium Member

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    Just for your information, you labeled this as target ammo when I think you meant to say plinking ammo. When you say target ammo it gives some readers a different idea. At least it does with me, but I've always been a little weird :supergrin: I've always had good luck with the Winchester 100 round value pack ammo, the yellow box UMC ammo that comes in fifty round boxes. I once owned a Browning Hi-Power that shot that UMC stuff amazingly well. There is the Blazer ammo in both aluminum cases and Blazer also makes brass cased ammo as well. PMC makes good and inexpensive stuff too. You should try some online retailers that specialize in ammo and take notes and look at a bunch of different ones. With them, you can often really good deals buying in bulk...like 500 rounds and/or 1,000 round purchases. Anyways, welcome to the fraternity of proud and damned well armed Glock owners. But there is one really big problem with Glocks and that is that they have a tendency to reproduce on you. Just one Glock can and will turn into three or five Glocks within the span of a year or less. One of the strengths of the design is its amazing simplicity. Get yourself a good disassembly and reassembly video and how to do all your Glock smithing yourself. It is so easy that anyone can do it. If you take care of that Glock 19, it can and will protect you and your loved ones for the rest of your life and the lives of your yet unborn children. And if you are married, take your wife shooting so that she gets bitten by the Glock bug too! Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to a great website where you can meet some really fine and knowledgeable people. Gun people are good people. Save your money and get yourself some extra magazines and some Glock tools for working on your new family member/protector.

10. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    For strictly range ammo I've stuck with the cheapest available, while avoiding the steel case stuff. I know a Glock can handle the steel case (based solely on testimonials) but why chance a problem over a dollar or two in ammo cost?

You've got a great pistol; take care of it and it will take care of you and your heirs.

11. jdw174

jdw174

Oct 31, 2012
    West Tennessee
    I have a case of S&B 115gr being delivered today from TargetSports USA. They still show 9mm available, but have stopped taking orders for everything they sell (even what's in stock) due to the severe backlog of orders. They're currently shipping orders up thru 12/24.....I ordered mine on 12/23. If you're not above trying remanufactured ammo, Freedom Munitions still lists 115gr in lots of 500 or 1000 rounds at a reasonably fair price. I'm currently going thru 500 rounds of this with no problems.

Edited: Just checked Freedom Munitions website, and like TargetSports, they have stopped taking orders for everything due to a severe backlog in shipping.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  12. rhyx

rhyx

Jan 5, 2013
    Some 9mm in stock at sgammo now. Going fast.

13. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Agree with all others above. Find the least expensive you can get your hands on (usually...) but in the present panic I'd say anything you can find.

Online dealers are generally cheaper if you buy quantity. And steel-cased stuff, while not optimum, has always worked well in my 9's and .45. Just not a steady diet. Good luck!

14. With online dealer, shipping can be high, no? I just (back)ordered some from BassPro, which offers "free shipping to store" which -- unless/until gas prices go bonkers, is a better deal.

15. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

Mar 19, 2012
    I have a g4 g19 and have shot, wwb 115gr, blazer brass 115gr (>1,000 rnds), spear lawman 124gr (>1,000 rnds), American eagle, pmc, and a few factory reloads (over 1,000 rnds of the one with the eagle on it, blanking on name) too. No issues whatsoever.

Btw I just got 1k rnds of blazer brass 2 weeks ago for 12.50 a box at PSA.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  16. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Jan 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    Damn, that Aguila Ammo at SG was only $197 per 1000 a few weeks back on their website. I didn't realize manufacturing costs went up in Mexico over the last two weeks causing it to be listed at $279 now ??? I'm afraid $280 plus shipping is gonna be the norm for even the crapiest of ammo per 1000. $300 and up for anything decent.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. flw

flw

Apr 4, 2012
    Exactly, I bought a bunch of that.

Anyone know of any bulk sellers with 40 cal ?

18. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  19. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I check Wal-Mart every time I go there just to see what's available. Was there yesterday and although I didn't need any ammo I was told that HQ sent an email to all stores saying that the rumor that Wal-Mart was going to quit selling firearms and ammo is totally false. I imagine HQ understands how many tens of millions of loyal customers they'll lose by caving in to the current political/media frenzy demonizing the Second Amendment and law-abiding gun owners.