close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Taper or Roll

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SC_Dave, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
    9mm FMJ

SHould I use a taper crimp of a roll crimp?
    David

2. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Taper... just enought to remove the bell without engraving the bullet.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Correct answer.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    If someone is making a roll crimp die for the 9mm, that would be wrong. As far as I know, they are or all should be taper crimp.:dunno:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Did you read the instructions that came with your dies or the pistol ammo loading section in your reloading manual(s)?

Where would you even get a 9mm roll crimp die?

6. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I don't think you are going to have a choice, you die is going to be Taper only.

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    Generally a roll crimp should only be used with bullets that have a cannelure. Most auto pistol bullets do not have a cannelure and a taper crimp should be used.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
  9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    PRK
    As everyone has posted before, 9mm is a taper crimp.

Depending on the die manufacturer, for instance Lee, if you screw the crimp down far enough it will look like a roll crimp because they cut a step in the die body which is pretty steep. If you get a crimp that looks like a roll crimp with a 9mm die, you have the crimp screwed down too far.

The style of crimp is really not related to the style of action (pistol or revolver) but is based on how the round headspaces. Calibers that headspace on the case mouth require a taper crimp (most autoloading pistols, but not all). Rounds that headspace on a rim or shoulder can be roll crimped or taper crimped based on your needs.

10. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
  11. Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  12. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
    I'm switching to a taper die now that I know more than when I posted this yesterday but they shot just fine in my Glock.
    David

13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    PRK
    The original 38 Super was a semi-rimmed case that headspaced on the rim, so a roll crimp was the original idea. Guys have gone to a rimless varient to aid in feeding and these require a taper crimp.

You can use a roll crimp die to taper crimp, you just don't screw it as far down.

14. judgecrater

judgecrater

Dec 24, 2011
    north GA
    100% correct!

15. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
    If the bullet spins in the case is the crimp too loose?

16. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Yikes :wow:. The bullet shouldn't even be close to spinning in the case even with NO crimp whatsoever.

I think you are belling the cause mouth out way too much. It should only be enough that the bullet is barely able to "sit" on the mouth before seating.

17. My 9mil loads with Dillon dies took on a 'Coke bottle' shape. Now, with a Redding Competition Die Set... not so much. Either way, the bullet was tight in the case prior to crimping. It isn't the job of the crimp to hold the bullet.

It sounds like over-belling which should also fatigue your brass faster and shorten its life.

Take a (very close) look and feel at a factory load to see (and feel) what your loads should look and feel like.

18. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Did you resize the case? That is impossible w/ a properly sized case, unless the bullets are undersized. Too much crimp can also spring the case mouth & allow the bullet to move. Even w/ over belling, there should still be adequate neck tension. If you are sizing the case properly & the bullets are the correct size (measure them) then check your expander dia. It should be no larger than 0.354".
    If Lee is making their does w/ a roll crimp, then they are doing it wrong, what a surprise. You can sort of taper crimp w. a die like that, but it's sketchy. If you roll crimp, your extractor is liekly holding the round in place for sort of proper headspace, but it's not desireable.

19. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
    I took some of the bell out. Left just enough to hold the bullet in place for it to go through the crimp die. It seems to be much better though I am still using the roll die I have it backed off to the point it's just closing the case with no real crimp. I can't push, pull or spin the bullet by hand. Hornady 9th says an OAL of 1.1000 I'm at 1.1035 now.

I'm waiting on the taper die now.

Have patients with me guys, I'm learning.