close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tanners

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jun 6, 2010.

1. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Any body got any ideals of who still in the business of tanning pelts? I'm doing a hunt in late june or early july and need a tanner for a project.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Jonesee

Jonesee
    Expand Collapse

If you afre hunting those months I assume you are going to Alaska and it will be true big game. If that is the case, look for a reputable taxidermist. If it is deer-size or down, just do it yourself.

Any thin skinned game is very easy. The thicker the skin the more difficult it gets. I tanned a beaver hide and it was tough because of the oil and the thickness of the hide adn fur. I ended up shampooing and blow drying it to clean the fur then had to work hard to get it soft and pliable.

3. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Thanks not hunting Alaska nor have the time to process a skin.

Vafish you around? I think you sent me a source back on the West coast iirc that did hides.

4. Jonesee

Jonesee
    Expand Collapse

Why so cryptic? What are you hunting and where in the middle of summer?

5. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I'm around, but I don't recall sending a link for tanning hides. I used to use a place in MN (IIRC) that if I sent them a whole hide they sent me a pair of buck skin gloves. But shipping got too expensive, haven't used them in years.

6. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I have to keep on searching. I remember it was a post many years ago in this forum of a tanning outfit located on the west coast IIRC ( portland area ). I wanted to check them out since foxvally has went **** up awhile back.

Have you heard of anybody using Wildlife Furs and getting a good pelt back ?

7. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

If you must know, I'm hunting exotic game animals right here in FL and then in TX.

Duty Gear at CopsPlus