Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Tank museum - Danville

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by Bonk, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    Anyone been there? Supposedly there's 150 or so tanks on display.
  2. Just went to their web site. Looks cool, kind of a long day trip from NoVa, but we usually head down to Kerr Dam fishing every now and then.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Sounds interesting, and less than 90 minutes from home.
  4. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

Oct 6, 1999
    I live here, never been to it, and don't know anyone who has. Mostly schools and out-of-town visitors go to it. I believe it does have some one-of-a-kind exhibits though.
  5. Virginian

Nov 22, 2003
    It's a cool place. Not only tanks but a lot of related military history including small arms. Oliver North has filmed a couple of intros to his show there using some of the tanks as a background.
  6. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    Made the trip down there today, and hit Peaks of Otter on the way back.

As far as the tanks (including artillery) - highly cool and very much worth it if you're any sort of military history buff. Lots of interesting vehicles from 1800's Gatling guns to a M2 Bradley.

Everything else - phbbbbtttttt. The clothing/uniform displays were disorganized, and the gift shop was closer to a toy store than a serious shop. To top it off, there was a pony-tailed security guard toting a revolver of some sort who was lecturing another visitor about the weapons policy. I ignored him and went about my visit, G27 tucked under my shirt.