close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Tamales.

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Jun 16, 2012.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Anyone make Tamales, about what is the total cost to make a dozen? I was asked if I wanted to buy some Tamales and I asked how much, they said 10 bucks a dozen, I said sure I'll take a dozen cheese ans Jalapeno. These were not for a special fund raiser or anything, it was just some ladies making and selling them. I was a tad upset when I got them as they were damn near paper thin, I'm not sure there was even any cheese in them, possibly just half a Jalapeno pepper. I don't think I'll be buying from these ladies any more:alex:

2. Most honest food venders will offer a sample before you purchase. I say you learned ur lesson on this one.

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Mar 11, 2007
    State
    I really miss the old, old Mexican lady that lived down the road and sold them out of her house.

Forget the Waffle House run on a good drunk night. Get a shopping bag half full of those tamales and you were in heaven.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I do like them for sure my friend:eat::supergrin:

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I learned for sure my friend :supergrin:

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I don't get drunk anymore, but Tamales would be a better drunk food then Waffle house, not that there is anything wrong with WH:supergrin:

7. Zonny

Zonny

Apr 22, 2006
    Tempe, Arizona
    I bought 2 dozen @ Christmas and I think I paid $36.00. There is a lot of work involved in the making of tamales.

8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    Tamales here run $1.50
    There is a new joint in town that makes the best chicken tamale I've ever had :eat:
    I don't see why you couldn't make for lees than a buck each at home:wavey:

9. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

Aug 28, 2004
    South Texas
    Hey Okie, you would have to try the ones they make down here.
    Here is a rundown.
    There is pork
    chicken
    jalapeno with cheese
    bean
    bean/cheese
    sugar/cinnamon
    deer meat
    javalina meat
    sugar with raisins
    spicy chicken
    Beef

They run about 6 dollars a dozen down here and that seems like too much. lol. Around November is when the old ladies start making them and everyone buys them. The secret of course is not to warm them up in the microwave, but to warm them up in the corn husk on a grill or skillet until they are toasty!!
    Wish I had a way of sending some later on to you guys. They could be frozen, but probably for only a day at the most. Don't know how long they would last in a foam cooler.

36.00 for two dozen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is insane.
    We have a coworker here whos mother makes them for us for 6.00 a dozen.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  10. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Some of those sound awesome my friend:eat::supergrin:

11. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

Mar 11, 2005
    Verde Valley Arizona
    The cost is labor, not ingredients. You just bought yours from a lousy cook - don't give up. You might ask around if someone knows a source for the good ones.

12. Everytime I park at the local 4 year old WalMart there's a guy with a big smiling gold tooth offering tamales out the back of his minivan.

Guess it's worth a try if he's survived there so long.

13. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    Okie

I make mine own sometimes, but too be honest, if I can buy them, I do. The cost isn't the issue, they are time consuming.

My favorite is spicy pork, served in a small crock with beans and fried eggs on top.

14. I make tamales at least once a month.

Big bag of maseca...$7 makes probably 12 dozen
    Corn husks dried and cleaned ...$3 a bag, probably 3 doz in bag
    Filling...beans and jalapeños are cheap, pork is close to cheap.

Easy to do.
    Add water to maseca until its sticky and feels like gritty paste.
    Soak dried husks in a big bowl of warm water.
    Take a big husk, dry it, spoon a heaping tablespoon of masa on it and spread it thin with back of spoon. Add pre cooked filling, roll up, and stack vertically in a pot for steaming.
    Continue until you fill the pot so they can't unroll. Steam for 45 min.

If you like tamales and don't want the fuss, try a papoosa.
    All you need is maseca, water, and filling.
    Make a 1/4 in thick patty with maseca and water (I use two pie plates to make a little thick tortilla) spoon in filling, fold over to seal it, frying pan on med with a little oil. Taste like a toasy tamale in a few minutes.

I think I just made a breakfast decision!

15. spork

spork Caffeinator

Dec 7, 2003
    Dystopia
    Interesting combination. I have never tried that. This is why I always check Okie's food threads!

16. Kd4rgw

Kd4rgw

Sep 22, 2010
    North Louisiana
    6 bucks a doz. we even have a tamale festival

17. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I do my own too. They're like lasagna- if you make a little, make a lot and freeze.
    I've got a freezer full of jalapeno and cheese; cilantro, onion, poblano pepper and cheese; chorizo, etc etc.
    I don't mind the labor, it's therapeutic. I do mind the corn husks where less than 30% of the bag's husks are big enough to use. We have an El Salvadoran restaurant by us. Their Louisa's are unreal and at lunch they're only $1.50 each. They come with Curtido- a great side dish of spicy lightly dressed shredded fresh cabbage.

18. IS THREE BOTTLES PER CAN THE CORRECT RATIO???

:steamed:

19. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    People "street" selling (wanna buy some Tamales?) here is the norm....and my oh my are they (often) good. Tamales are simply part of life here.

Local sign (look to the right)

[​IMG]