close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Talk to me about plated bullets..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Jul 29, 2014.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I'm tempted to save a few bucks and go the plated route from xtreme bullets. I know they're loaded like lead, so it'll save me a few bucks on powder too, but I'm worried about over crimp.

I am not at all a precision shooter, I make practice range ammo and I don't push the envelope of speed/pressure, I generally load to the mid range of charge and leave it as is (as long as it cycles). I would love to hear everyone's experience (positive and negative) as it relates to loading and shooting plated bullets.

ETA - I've only ever loaded FMJ..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Oct 4, 2009
    The Twilight Zone
    I use Xtreme 124gr plated and don't have any problems. You can load them to mid-range FMJ specs because they are a heavier coating. I believe they are rated for up to 1200 fps as per their website.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Just don't over crimp. I pulled a bullet from a 45 round picked up at the local Idpa match. The bullet was so over crimped, the base area measured 0.449"!!! I doubt that round could hit an 8" plate @ 25yds.
    Plated work just as well as jacketed for the service calibers, even 357sig. Just keep vel below 1250fps for best result. Beyond that, accuracy drops off quickly.

4. Andrew Tacquard

Andrew Tacquard

Oct 16, 2000
    S. MD
    I had better luck with extreme over the other brands, and think they had a mil discount. Like said above, watch crimp. Also, ensure you have enough bell on the expander, I was scratching off some of the coating also causes issues.

5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    Xtreme are very tough bullets, unlike some of their softer competitors.

Unless you are loading a magnum caliber, or other hot one like top end 10mm loads, I have found any book jacketed load to work fine for Xtreme. Just observe their recommended velocity limits and you will be fine.

As others have noted, just straighten the belling out with your crimp (something you should be doing for any rimless caliber, regardless of the bullet type). The single most misunderstood thing in reloading is the taper crimp, mainly because it isn't a crimp. :)

Have fun.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Correct, just think of the mechanics, you can't taper crimp enough to hold a bullet, but you can over crimp & destroy the bullets accuracy.

7. colin1230

colin1230

Jul 2, 2012
    Kansas City
    FiremanMike,
    It is reloaders like you and I that plated bullets work so well for, the middle of the road plinker. When I load FMJ's in 9mm and .45 my crimp dye only removes the flair or bell from the case mouth, same for plated bullets. When I switch from FMJ to plated, all I have to adjust is the seater for the C.O.L., eveything else being the same. Good luck and enjoy cheaper ammo.

8. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    The maddening thing about this state of affairs is you still have a large number of reloaders that think a "good firm crimp" has a positive effect on a rimless cartridge. I have even seen PDF's that are clips from reloading die instructions that quote how a firm taper crimp will improve neck tension, which is in fact a physical impossibility.

Simply amazing.

9. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Beavercreek, OH
    I just started reloading using 115gn RN xtremes and had trouble finding info on plated bullets. I used Hodgdon's site and checked 9mm 115gn with Win 231. I shot a few rounds at 4.4 and 4.5 and they worked OK except the ejection was weak.

After getting some more advice on there and doing a little more research it appears, that with plated, you can load to the high end of the lead chart to mid level jacketed.

I have some rounds loaded at 4.6 and 4.8 that I'm going to shoot tomorrow. I'm just looking for a good feeling plinking round to have fun shooting with.....I just enjoy throwing lead.

I've adjusted my OAL to ~1.160 because I've been shooting WWB 115gn from Walmart and that was the average OAL when I checked several in one of their boxes.

I've gotten some great advice on here and really appreciate it.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I would not buy 1K of them to start. Maybe 500 to test. But it's not exactly hard to NOT over crimp a bullet. I had a gun that did not like Rainer Plated, where the other did. So get a smaller batch and try them. I would think the Extreme would be even less fickle then Rainer because the plating is thicker.

11. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Rainier, fickle? Geez, what are you guys doing with them? I've been using Rainier bullets (9mm & .45acp) for years.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I think it was the Gun that was fickle. It was a KAHR.

13. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I have been shooting X-treme bullets for about 18 years now in 9mm 40 and 45acp and gap. Like what has already been said don’t skimp on the bell and don’t over crimp. Load a round and pull the bullet you should see a very light mark where the mouth of the case was or none at all. I did have a bad batch of 147gr bullets at one time. Sold them to two friends of mine and they had the same problem as I did. Yes they knew the problem I was having. For plated bullets I like X-treme over the rest of the plated bullets.

14. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I have shot 10 of ks of Rainiers. The only reason I quit using them was the price. They used to give my club quite a discount because we were local but then a couple of years ago they stopped the discounts.

15. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Hey, reloading company employees are people too, they make mistakes & have opinions based on less than fact sometimes.:dunno:

16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    Yeah, maybe you are right, it is just mean spirited of me to expect people to know what they are doing... :)

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I have had educated doctors, engineers, lawyers, all get things wrong. Just because someone writes it down, doesn't mean it's not flawed.:dunno: gees, just look at our govt!:steamed:

18. Schrag4

Schrag4

May 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    OP, you didn't specify which calibers you're loading for, but I think it's pretty safe to assume you won't be loading anything over 1200FPS since you said you're not loading anything very hot. Honestly, for plinking I don't see any advantage to using FMJ over plated bullets. I started out loading FMJ just like you, but recently I switched to plated. I've figured out what I'm doing with 40 S&W and I'm just starting to experiment with 9mm plated. I followed the suggestion of some here and dumped the FCD and now I simply remove the flare during seating.

My Glock 22 seems to like plated bullets. I have yet to put any of the plated 9mm through my SR9c - I actually loaded up a handful for testing just a few hours ago. I'm looking forward to seeing how they shoot compared to the FMJ bullets I've loaded up until now.

19. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Thanks all for the info!

I load 9mm in pistol for those curious.

20. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I just ordered 500 as a trial run, we'll see how it goes!