close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Talk me off the ledge... Now considering an M&P...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SoonerDad, Oct 22, 2012.

1. SoonerDad

SoonerDad

Sep 14, 2012
    Hey y'all...

Fairly new Glock owner here. Bought a used Gen 3 Glock 17 a couple of months ago and fell in love... That thing is an amazing piece of firearms technology. It does everything we expect from a Glock. Eats any ammo I give it and asks for more. I even did my first IPSC competition with it, and it was beautiful, man...

I get a nice bonus at the end of the month, and I'm ready to buy the wife one. She's shot my G17 a couple of times and she's digging it, too. We have our CCW class next month, so she will need a good carry weapon.

No problem.

Glock 19.

Problem solved.

So now I'm waiting 'till the beginning of November to buy her one. And I want her to have a new, unused weapon we can break in together, and both trust to defend her if the ***** hits the fan.

Except, the brass to the face thing is not acceptable.

She's amazing, but a few hot cases to her gorgeous face and she's liable to lose interest.

My local gun store has some Gen 3 G19's available, but some of you guys say that even the late model G3's are doing the same thing. I have enough skill to polish up the extractor (or replace it with a better aftermarket one) but have we settled on that being the true problem? Opinions seem to vary...

My local pawn shop has a used 9mm M&P for $429. An good option for now until Glock gets this figured out. They also have a couple USA made G19's (I know, right?)... Will I be ok with one of those?

I really think it's a good idea my wife carries... Her confidence level is just a bit tenuous right now, so I'm very concerned about the brass to the face thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

2. 9L0ck

9L0ck

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I think there are more good glocks then problem glocks get the 19.
    But the m&p is nice also. Can't go wrong with whatever you end up with.

3. AustinTx

AustinTx

Aug 16, 2006
    Tx
    I would go with the Gen 3 19. You would have better parts interchangeability, with the Gen 3. Just 1 opinion, I have 7 Gen 3 Glocks with no problems.

4. Topsider

Topsider

Oct 15, 2012
    Virginia
    If you're worried, get a G26 instead. It's a better carry gun, anyway.

5. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

Dec 3, 2006
    TX
    I have seen a lot of malfunctions with the M&P 40. Maybe the 9mm is different?

Further, I've seen multiple slides ripped off during disarming drills, on at least 4 different guns- in just one day.

I like the grip, it fits my hand great, and it has a crisp trigger break- although I am not a fan of the jointed trigger safety.

For a gun I literally trust my life with, I'm glad I went with the Glock 22 (Gen4).

6. Rustin

Rustin

Oct 12, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I would shoot both before you decide which one fits and know that any limpwristing with a Glock can result in some brass to the face. Happens to me when I don't grip the gun right.

I feel the m&p can probably fit more people than the Glock can. By now it's established an awesome track record. The gun runs and runs and runs. The m&p 9c is a great carry

7. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Unfortunately, this statistic is useless if you happen to get one of the problem Glocks. The real problem is that Glock hasn't been able to resolve the issues. They replace parts, call the gun 'nominal' (or whatever) and the problems are still there.

There is no known fix for either the Gen 4 or late model Gen 3 guns. If it was as simple as 'put in xxx, yyy and zzz', everybody would just follow along and everything would be fine. There is no recipe...

The M&P has a pretty good reputation but so does the Springfield Armory XD and XDm guns. I have one of the XD9s and it is a very nice 9mm.

If I was into 9mm and wanted an excellent pistol albeit with a different 'Manual Of Arms', I would buy the Sig P239. They're pricey but they are very nice guns. They are all metal so, yes, they are heavier but they are easy to shoot.

Richard

8. A full-size M&P may be a challenge to carry. I've got an M&P40 which I really, really like that has been 100% reliable and quite accurate but the larger frame would make for a challenging carry pistol (although the subject is academic for me given my location). The Gen 3 G19 is a well-proven pistol--you'd be fairly safe in picking one up from your LGS.

9. SoonerDad

SoonerDad

Sep 14, 2012
    Thanks for all of the advice... I really appreciate it!

So any advantage to grabbing the USA made Gen 4 Glock 19, or is that still a 'roll of the dice'?

At least it would be a newer make, but without knowing exactly what the problem is it may not matter, USA or Austria....

Thanks again...

10. Smokin45

Smokin45

Oct 15, 2012
    Dirty Duval, FL
    Based on what? I find my 19 just as easy to conceal as my 26...

11. Topsider

Topsider

Oct 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Shorter grip prints less easily.

12. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
  13. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Sep 17, 2011
    Go with the M&P 9. Or you could go with the new shield, i picked one up in 9 and its good to go right out of the box. I can get 3 fingers on the grip, so maybe your wife can as well. The plus side is when she decides to carry . She will be ready to go.

I pass on all glocks that are newer. I only have older ones due to me getting 1 17 gen 4 lemon R letter serial, and a 26 gen 3 lemon Rletter serial. Needless to say all my glocks now start with K. From 07' and run flawless.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    To me the best way to make a decision would be to shoot each first and then pick whichever was better. If that is not possible then at least maybe hold each at the same time.

15. That's a bunch of "stuff", BS detector went off a mile away, why spread Internet crap?

16. t4terrific

t4terrific

Sep 8, 2011
    The 26 definitely prints less with IWB carry. I have both and have carried both. The shorter grip on the 26 is the key to making it easier to hide on your person.

The Glock 19 is my favorite, and very concealable. It's just a matter of physics though. The smaller 26 just doesn't stick out as much.

17. t4terrific

t4terrific

Sep 8, 2011
    Glock has shaken my confidence a little over the last couple of years. I would still go with Glock though. A gen 3 for me. I just like the ergonomics better than the gen 4.

If it was me, I'd look around for an older gen 3 in "like new condition", replace the recoil spring, and shoot it till I'm confident in it to work every time the way it should.

18. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

Jul 15, 2011
    Actually, you can go wrong with an M&P Full Size 9mm, if that's what you're looking at. Some of them have very sloppy tolerances. Mine would not do better than 8" average group at 25 yds. I know, I should have sent it back to S&W. I took the easy way out. Check out the S&W boards, though. It's a common problem with that particular model and size. Some people blame it on "early unlocking" (google it), but I think the barrel fit is just sloppy generally. They are very reliable, though, and will not kick brass in your face. The grip is more comfortable than a Glock. Most people like the Glock trigger better, unless you spend money for aftermarket parts (Apex Tactical). All in all, I think Glocks are better at this point. I can shoot my G19 about twice as well as the M&P on the same day with the same ammo. If accuracy is not a big concern, then the M&P might be the way to go. The G19 conceals much much better. The M&P Compact is more comparable, and a better carry. I have not heard horror accuracy stories about the M&P Compact models either. If you get a G19 Gen4, a new non-dip extractor will probably cure the brass to the face issue, if you have it at all. People are having good luck with that with the Gen4's: the Gen3's not so much.