Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Talk me off the cliff....problem with my Kimber Pro Carry

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by JNKIRK1974, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Okay, I went to shoot my Kimber Pro Carry Stainless today for the first time. Wow, much more accurate than I'm used to shooting. All seemed well.

Reload for my 2nd magazine. Everything is fine until the last round.......FTF. Strange. The round was properly pushed into the chamber, but the slide didn't go all the way forward. It stopped short. Again, the round was in the chamber properly, but the slide wouldn't go all the way forward.

So, I thought it might be just "one of those things". Loaded the magazine again. Once again, fails on the last round.

Next step, put the Kimber magazine away and use a brand new Wilson magazine. Results.....identical! Two times in a row. So, this makes 4 times in a row (2 with the Kimber magazine and 2 with the Wilson magazine) with the slide not coming all the way forward.

Doesn't anything jump out at you guys? Is this a common problem with 1911s? It was this type of problem that kept me from buying 1911s in the first place. I normally use Sigs, HKs, etc. I want to be a 1911 guy, but..........

I know that it's something that's probably easily remedied, but there's no way I'm going to rely on this gun for concealed carry.

Fifth magazine reload.......I finally make it all the way through.

One thing I've noticed......the slide release is VERY difficult to push down now. It never was before until after today. I have to use two thumbs and a ton of pressure. May have nothing to do with the problem, but I figured I'd throw that into the mix.

I own this Kimber and then I also own a Stainless Gold Cup. Both have gone unfired until I shot the Kimber today. Still haven't shot the Gold Cup.
    I really hope the Kimber has an easy solution, because I love the look and feel of it. It was so accurate with the first 15 rounds.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. Oh, ammo-wise, I was using PMC Bronze (230 grain).

3. PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    Try different ammo. PMC is usually good, but you might have some that's slightly out of spec. Always eliminate the easy stuff first.
  4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Did you take it apart for any reason before shooting it?

Sounds like something might be wrong with the slide stop if it's tougher to manipulate than before.....

Very hard to tell without seeing the gun in person.
  5. As a matter of fact, yes. I took it apart and lubed it last night.
  6. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Make sure everything was re installed correctly before driving yourself crazy with anything else.

Just my $0.02 :wavey:
  7. rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    i agree with fire medic. Sounds like something was re-installed incorrectly.. It could easily also be the ammunition
  8. chrisman17

chrisman17 Boom

Jan 31, 2004
    New Orleans
    Something definitely went wrong during reassembly. Slide stops should never take that much force. I suggest disassembly, check your barrel link and careful reassembly.
  9. BeckG19

Oct 6, 2010
    Carlsbad CA
    Don't bum out too much... It can be fixed... IF new Kimber it should go back at their expense. If not see Extractor probably too tight. Common issue in Kimbers. Was the bullet under the hook of the extractor or in front of it?. It is hard to figure without picture.. Slide stop issue don't know but you should be sling shotting it in most cases. Was the mag in the gun?

1911s at times need a gunsmith or knowledgable owner. They are not for everyone... But every 1911 can be made 100% good to go for a long time if you are willing to put in the effort.

If not G21SF or G30SF or USP Compact 45, seriously
  10. samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Could be a tight extractor, a tight chamber, rough feed ramp, weak recoil spring, weak mag springs, a combination of two or more of those things or something different.

Good luck.
  11. carguy2244

Jan 13, 2009
    Many people at my shooting club have had similar experiences with their 1911s, so maybe it's standard operating procedure. Two hundred dollars with a good gunsmith should get your new 19111s operating more reliably.
  12. Just took her apart and put her back together. Nothing seems different. However, I found something a little strange (but, it may very well me normal). I'm going to upload a picture......
  13. Does this look normal? Should that little extra notch be there? Hopefully, you can see what I'm referring to. I put the arrow in to help.
    Click on picture to enlarge.

14. Did you put the recoil spring in backward. I only ask because I did that before....
  15. I figured that would be impossible....since the Kimber 4" guns require you to put that pin in the hole to hold the spring back.
  16. MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Spoken like somoene that has little experience with 1911s.

To the OP, the notch looks fine, you should check your extractor tension first.

Is the slide stop difficult to move when there is no magazine in the gun?
  17. Actually, no. It's 100x easier without the mag in.
  18. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    with an empty mag in, it's supposed to be stiff.
  19. MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Ok. There is no problem there then. The mag follower pushes on the slide stop to hold the slide open on the last round. Obviously it needs a good amount of tension. This is completely normal when you have a new mag. As long as it's moving freely when there's no mag in it OR a loaded mag then you're good to go.

However, follow that link to see if your extractor will hold an empty case or in your case if it slides freely between the breech face and extractor.
  20. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Jump off the Kimber are NOT alone!!!I had a Tactical Pro II That would hang up often and FTGIB. Turned out the undercut the barrel lug too deep and didn't fit the barrel link (needed an oversized one)properly. 5 trips back to Kimber, they still couldn't figure it out. The guys at Nighthawk took 5 minutes to tell me what was wrong. I sent Kimber pictures, what Nighthawk says was wrong, and a Braille diagram and they still didn't get it. Made them send me a new gun and I promptly sold it and I am now back to Glocks for good!!!