close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Tae kwon do

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by glockess56, Mar 23, 2013.

1. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Mar 30, 2004
    Dublin, Ohio
    Any one out there practice Tae Kwon Do? At my studio, we don't do tournaments, it's strickly for self-defense. We also do outdoor training at camps (summer, winter, fall, one day events, mini camps for one overnight, etc). We train in all kinds of weather. Any one else do this or other types of TKD? January, I just completed my Brown Belt, first gup. Six months from that I can attempt my first Black Belt test. Now, I guess I'm swimming at the deep end of the pond!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

2. SNIDER

SNIDER

Feb 14, 2013
    My son does
    his school goes from brown to red then red with black stripe then to half red half black before meeting the requirements to test for black. It's my understanding this is the traditional way with tae kwon do, more belt levels than karate... either way it is a great thing for my young man to be involved with, he has learned so much more than tae kwon do.
    congratulations on getting another step closer to black belt. That is an amazing achievement.

3. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

Feb 7, 2006
    For better than 20 years now...

My best advice to you is that you get out of it what you put into it.

Keyup louder than everyone else..

put your pads on faster than everyone else...

try harder than everyone else..

You will be great if you do those things...

emphasis on try harder than everyone else, you should feel like you need to puke 15 mins into class.

capnjim01 likes this.
  4. Ralff

Ralff

Sep 10, 2008
    Central FL
    I did TKD when I was much younger. I wish our school would have been like yours, I would have liked it more. Instead, we just stood in formation, with our 5'6 300 pound black belt and 10 year old plump brown belt (or blue? whichever is right before black) and did stretches and technique. All class long. Even at a young age it smelled pretty fishy. The funny (or sad) thing is, there were fully grown adults who thought they were actually improving themselves for self-defense by standing stationary in horse-stance or whatever it's called throwing straight punches.

5. randrew379

randrew379

Jan 21, 2012
    Not sure about tradition, but more belt levels=more $.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

capnjim01 likes this.