Tacticalize The Wincester or Buy Something Else?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Restless28, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Ok, I have an old Winchester Defender 1300 pump shotgun, and its a nice gun, but I have a hankering for a more "tactical" gun.

Should I buy a collapsible stock and forearm, and stick with the old girl, or buy a 590A1 of 870 already done?

Has anyone here added a collapsible stock and forearm to an old Defender? Any suggestions?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Finally got my Mossberg Tacticalized! Tactical Shotguns Aug 21, 2013
    Tacticalized my 1300 Tactical Shotguns Jun 17, 2012
    New Gen wincester 40s&w cases failing !!! Reloading Aug 10, 2013
    Wincester ranger +p+ GATE Self-Defense Forum Aug 8, 2010

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Get a new gun. You need an 870 don't you?

The answer is yes. Get one.

4. Keep like it is--looked at the new ones and they are made in Turkey---I put it back after seeing that ---I'll pass.

You need a new gun.

5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall HildabeastHater

Consider a Winchester 97 or IAC 97, if you wish you can hold the trigger back and just pump the mag dry.
    It's the rapid fire trombone gun, but they are getting hard to find because Cowboy Action Shooters
    and Wild Bunch Shooters are grabbing them up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mount a nice loooooong bayonet if you wish.:cool:

[​IMG]

6. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

I say leave it alone!

This is as tactical as my Defender will get:

[​IMG]

#5 CU4X4N, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  7. Which side saddle is that? I would like to add one to mine, add a sling, and I decided to keep the wood, but I really need to shorten the length of pull. I'm 5'5", so I would like an adjustment. How hard is this to do?

After handling an 870, I like the Defender better. There is no bite when loading shells, and I like the slide release better. The slide and action are also much slicker. I want to like the 870, but these old Winchesters are NICE.

8. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

TacStar side saddle for the Winchester 1200/1300

9. You can slam fire a Winchester M12 and an Ithaca 37.
    Get the Ithaca if you're left handed. BOTTOM EJECTION
    All of the above were WWII issue.

10. Do NOT tacticalize it. It will look rediculous.

11. Nalapombu

Millennium Member

I have always loved and wanted one of the 97's. I especially like the Trench variety and would use one of those in a heartbeat for HD. I think it would be a very good choice for HD use because you could leave one in the chamber and lower the hammer and make it totally safe. All you would have to work on teaching someone else is to cock the hammer, fire and pull the forearm to reload, much easier to teach than on a "modern" shotgun with the safety behind the trigger guard.
    The problem is IAC isn't bringing them in any more, at least I don't think they are. The ones that are out there are getting more and more expensive. I have seen and handled a couple years ago and the wood and bluing were very nice, not a cheap knockoff like you would suspect. Those Chinese can really copy something well when they want to.

Nalajr

12. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

Keep it, the Winchesters (especially 1200s and 1300s) are some of the smoothest pump guns out there, IMO a world better than Mossbergs and most Remingtons.

Sears branded 1200 from the 60s or 70s:

[​IMG]

13. My 1300 is bone stock but I added the 5 round tube. I have all of $100.00 wrapped up in it and it works great though it looks horrible. I bought a Mossberg 500 for my tactical shotgun.

14. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Buying accessories for any firearm until you shoot it enough to know what you need is like taking medicine because all other men your age take it.

Only buy what you need for your situation. An extended mag tube maybe a safe bet, if your situation dictates, perhaps a light, but a collapsible stock may not be what you need. My guns are tools, damn the looks, if it works for you shoot it. I have never read an article where a home invader said he was able to overcome the resident because his gun was ugly.

While still a winchester, if you put any serious rounds through it (> 5k), it will break down as will a Mossberg. The Remington and benelli pumps are much less likely, IMHO.

15. NeverMore1701

Platinum Member

I put more than 5k rounds through the gun I posted above before I was 16. Still going strong.

16. Proof? :wavey:

17. Here is my Winchester Defender 1300 and Remington 870.

The Winchester is smoother, faster, and more ergonomic. The 7+1 capacity is pretty cool also![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adding the $7 nylon side saddle is as tactical as I'm willing to go.

18. Big Orange, I'm gonna pick up a cheapy side saddle and leave the old girl as be.

[​IMG]

#17 Restless28, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  19. Good choice. Don't get me wrong, TacStar makes a nice side saddle for around $30 but I think the nylon one does the basically the same thing.

20. NeverMore1701

Platinum Member

I've tried both, and have a couple of observations.

Elastic:
    Holds 5 rounds.
    Has a tendency to slip forward during long sessions, requiring adjustment.
    Loses elasticity over time, both around the stock and in the individual shell holders.
    Precludes firing from the off side.
    $5-$7.

Tac-Star:
    Holds 4 or 6 rounds.
    Very positive retention of the shells, doesn't degrade over time.
    Hard mounted to receiver, won't shift position during manipulation.
    Allows firing from off side.
    Slightly shorter distance to action.
    Slots in each shell holder allow for very easy ID of different shell types in the carrier.
    Can bind up the action if the installation screw is way overtightened.
    $25-$30.

I much prefer the Tac-Star sidesaddle over the nylon/elastic buttcuff.

21. The 1300 also handles the Aquila Mini Slugs very well without modification.