close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Tactical vest--recommend one!!!!

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Dogbite, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
    Looking for a good quality tactical vest, to carry extra mags, and pockets for misc. gear on my person if needed. If you have links, or brands I should look at, let me know. Thanks for all the info!!!

2. mes228

mes228

Dec 23, 2006
    Virginia
    Kabar Vest. Not so "tacticool" looks kinda ordinary - just a tan vest. But it is a Tactical Concealed Carry Vest. Love the things and have four. Much more comfortable than any holster. I can carry a full size pistol in either front pocket and multiple mags in one of the inside pockets. None of which print. All are accessible. Way quicker "draw" than any holster. About a thousand times more comfortable than any holster. At any sign of threat, there's no need to "brandish" a weapon. Just hand in the pocket on the grip. With the Nemesis holster the draw in unencumbered and the holster remains in the pocket. The carry pockets are double lined and will not print with any pistol.

More likely than not, I'll carry a Glock 19 or 23 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster, and 2 additional mags. I honestly think the vest is one of my best pieces of gear I own. I seldom even think of holsters any more. I do carry Kydex and leather holsters in the car and gun bag just in case.

3. Steff1

Steff1

May 13, 2008
    How about Tactical Tailor ? I hear they are based in Virginia.

4. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    Do you want off the rack or custom?? I just got some gear(vest & 3mag drop leg pouch) for my PS90 from

www.thevestguy.com

He makes some great quality stuff!!

He makes for ARs as well (they are not listed, you have to call and ask)

Tell him Bryon sent ya!!

5. MIJoe

MIJoe

Jun 15, 2002
    FL
    Check out

www.skdtac.com

Excellent gear, low cost and FAST shipping

No connection with them, just a repeat, very satisfied customer

6. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    Spec-ops makes a nice adjustable one called "The Over Armor Vest" and if you look about the net it can be bought pretty cost effectively. I have one and I really like it! It fits winter coats as well as plate armor very nicely. :cool:

7. Captain Boogie

Captain Boogie

Apr 15, 2004
    THere are many good quality vests out there. You really have to figure out what your requirements are. Do you want 3 rifle mags for a class? Do you want to have Level IV plates? Do you want a vest, LBV, or chest rig? Concealable or not? Take a look here http://http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/10_Tactical_Gear.html for a good overview on what is out there.

I have used a Blackhawk tac vest, Eagle RRV, Eagle SKD molle rig, Eagle LE rig, SDS FLC, LBV, and Y suspender and pistol belt. All have served their purpose.

8. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  9. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
  10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    The idea is ta blend in,not stand out.'08.

11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    heck, just get some ole ALICE straps and be classic cool.

12. glock21xxx

glock21xxx

Apr 10, 2009
    that mini mav just reminds me of a BRO from Seinfeld lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  13. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
  14. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    LOL. I know. But the quality of their stuff is outstanding. Could be a little more mellow on the name though. :)

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Tec Apparel took the photographer's field vest and worked from that concept. Multiple pockets, quality zippers.

Some people want "tactical vests" that scream "I am a wanna bee". Other people want a "tactical vest" with which they can lay down in the mud and roll around.

As the man wrote, you need to figure out what you want to carry and why before seeking a tactical vest.

I am in a dry portion of the country. I will not roll around in the mud (too old). I will not carry a lot of weight (too old). So my tactical vests tend to be modified photographer field gear, JC Penny windbreakers. Sure, I carry WWII reproduction paratrooper smock in the car. I will roll around in the possible mud with that one after shtf.

16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    My issue vest for the last three years is a Blackhawk, as are most of the vests we issue. I also have a Blackhawk vest of my own for taking private classes, as well as a Tactical Tailor vest (different configurations for running different weapon systems). Both brands have served me well.

17. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Skip the cheap airsoft gear. You'll know it's cheap airsoft gear because it will cost a fraction of price that real gear sells for.

Also, skip the rigs that hold 8 magazines. If you are alone, and have to fire that many rounds, you are pretty screwed. Those are made for soldiers who have 20 friends similarly armed and use completely different tactics than a lone defender ever would, like firing a large number of rounds while assaulting targets.

This is about as realistic as you can get:

http://www.optactical.com/orsoeakm4mir.html

Enough room for 2-4 magazines, and a large pocket for a pretty complete blow out kit.

This would be even more grayman, and is along the same lines:

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/terroristinterdictionbagtib.aspx

Whatever you get, look for something with just enough room for a blowout kit and 2-4 magazines. Once you get past that, not only is the extra ammo approaching fantasy, it gets really really heavy for someone who doesn't wear it all the time.

Might as well add, look here for a basic gunshot wound kit:

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/personaltraumakitptk.aspx

18. mes228

mes228

Dec 23, 2006
    Virginia
    I like the Kabar vest as it's very practical and doesn't scream "SHOOT ME FIRST" in everyday life. There's a difference between combat gear, and everyday situations. I hope to never be in a combat situation. Nonetheless the Kabar has 6 pockets (3 inside). I can carry a Glock 19, one 30 round mag, two 15 round mags, Benchmade Large Dejavoo folder, Fallkniven PHK fixed blade in a custom Kydex sheath that is 10 inches long (as an aside Fallkniven is telling you the truth when they say the PHK is the best hunting knife in the world. PHK is also good for anything else). Fisher Space Pen, Small Med Kit & 2 QuickClot packs. The vest is heavy with that much in it but no one will ever know that you were even armed. Nothing prints as the pockets are designed to hide contents on the exterior pockets and they are large. Just my opinion but it based on personal experience.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011