close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tactical spec ops low drag operators!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BlayGlock, Jul 2, 2010.

1. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    Something Ive noticed when reading 1911 forums over the past few years is the absolute aversion of many 1911 fans to any name that contains any of the following key word: "Tactical", "Spec Ops", "Operator", "Special Forces" ect.

I see many comments that say "Man I love that Ed Brown but I wish it was not named Special Forces" or " I like the new Wilson Combat 9mm but I HATE that they called it a Spec Ops" or just recently in a thread about a Springfield SRP " Nice piece, but I would have to remove that foolish "tactical" engraving from the frame. That's just embarrassing…"

Why are many of the 1911 fans scared of being called a high speed operator because of what is on the side of their gun?

A quick note: By asking this I do not mean any disrespect, and I am not implying that you are stupid because you do not like these things. I am sure that you have valid reason for the dislike. I just honestly feel like I am missing some crucial piece of gun lore.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Over the last decade or so every gun/clothing/granola bar company has introduced a line of "tactical" products. They are no different except for the tactical label. At one point in time it was something of a status symbol to have the gun that the proffesionals use. Springfield really pushed this in the advertising for the TRP. Over time the tactical/spec-ops/operator nomenclature has been so watered down that every shooter at the range is dressed like a Blackwater contractor and carrying a "tactical" cell phone pouch. For god's sake, they have tactical canned bacon. So real shooters have shied away from anything that will paint them as a wannabe so they can avoid being lumped in with all the tactical timmies.

3. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    I can definatley buy that. Thanks for the reply.

That explains a lot then.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    For me, it's as much out of respect for real operators as anything. I'm in nuclear security and carry guns for a living, but I'm not "Special Forces" so I ordered my Ed Brown without that engraved on the slide. I have no need or desire to pose.

5. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I have noticed the same things lately, but personally none of it bothers me. I dont care how tacticool or silly a name is, if someone is making a great gun and i want it, im going to get it. It is nice though when looking at custom 1911's you can get the roll marks removed, but whats even worse is some of the custom roll marks i have seen on 1911's. A freind has a NH Enforcer with enforcer taken off and instead reads "J's .45" to me that is just retarded and i would NEVER get anything done like that.
    I do however like the vet's that get the 1911's customized with rollmarks of details from their deployment's. That is something that would be priceless to me if i served overseas

6. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
  7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Doesn't bother me, but I just hate huge rollmarks.
    If I had a choice, all my guns would be naked.

It's like that with my cars, when I get a new one the first thing I do is remove all the badges. If the decals on my motorcycle weren't under clear coat, they'd be gone too.

8. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    You would think real shooters wouldn't care what others thought......... and just let the targets do da talkin'.

9. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    Is it ok to have "Operator" roll marked on the slide?
    [​IMG]

:cool:

10. Range Rat

Range Rat

Mar 5, 2009
    GA & SC
    That looks fine to my eye. I don't like those huge rollmarks however but others do. What a country!

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    I think it's fine. I even like my 1911s personalized.:supergrin:

12. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    That is what I always thought.

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Because you end up with these guys at the range with all their tacti-cool outfits who can't hit sh1t at 10 yards.

[​IMG]

14. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Mar 5, 2008
    Oh, for me, it's because to me, a "high speed operator" means one thant can connect a great many calls though "her" switchboard in a very short time.

Heck, I haven't figured out just what it is these "operators" actually operate. I mean, do they "operate" heavy machinery? Do they "operate" plants that are either a continuous process or batch process? And if they do "operate" say a batch process, if they are really fast, are they then "high speed operators"?

It's all sort of confusing. I don't know why we don't just call they soldiers, marines, sailor, or airmen. I mean afterall, aren't they members of the armed services?

Sheesh, once upon a time, you were special if you wore a colorful french hat. Then everyone started wearing french headgear. Now we just give them a fancy name.

15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

:agree:

I've told Bac a dozen times that when I order a full custom 1911, if anything, the builder is going to put "MY NAME " on the slide. :rofl:.

If you go to Europe, you'll very few cars with model numbers but BMW will have its badge and Mercedes its three pointed star.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

This is an operator:

[​IMG]

17. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

This soldier is an "operator."

[​IMG]

18. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    :rofl:

19. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Yes, they do have the "Tactical Canned Bacon" and all the silly crap to go along with it. It just gives something for companies to sell to folks with a IQ of a Dormant Tree Frog.