Glock Talk banner

Tactical Shotgun Pics Thread

1M views 2K replies 776 participants last post by  Crehtu 
#1 ·
I think we need a thread of tactical shotgun pics. I'll start

See less See more
#53 ·
Kilrain-
Can you give us the details on the nice lookin' shotty on top?? How do you like the porting? Is that Vang Comp? Ect.? Thanks, Rob
It is a Remington Marine Magnum purchased in 1995. The front sight is a Scattergun Tech tritium sight, the rear sight is a nickeled, MMC adjustable ghost ring tritium. The barrel is Vang Comp'd with the porting along with the sights being installed by Vang Comp. The fore end is an older Surefire 618 with a textured applique applied by T.J. Ryan of Pittsburgh, PA for a grippier surface(I don't know if he is in business anymore). I installed an oversized safety and smoothed the action with very lightly abrasive compound, although when it came back from Vang Comp it felt smoother even though I didn't request or pay for an action type job. The stock was, at the time of the picture, an adjustable length Choate style that I further cut shorter with a shop saw for a 12.5" length of pull. The stock has since been replaced by a Remington "youth" stock that gives the same length of pull in a nicer package. The sling is a Giles three point while the buttstock shell carrier is a Blackhawk I believe.

As for the porting, I generally like it and feels it contributes to decreased muzzle rise however it it purely subjective. I will say that cleaning the porting is a pain the butt, so be aware. That being said, it is awfully heavy but dead nuts reliable and would serve as a very useful club if needed! Built like a tank, weighs like one and is more reliable.

#54 ·
That's how it was when I bought it. I may change the barrel but it works fine as is so I'm not in a hurry.
I'd just yank off the rear ghost ring on the receiver and keep the barrel.

That being said, it is awfully heavy but dead nuts reliable and would serve as a very useful club if needed! Built like a tank, weighs like one and is more reliable.
Buyer beware, if you put a Surefire forend on your shotgun, it will get real heavy real quick. One time I stripped my 870 down to stock and was amazed at how light it was, even loaded. Then I put it all back on and realized it wasn't recoil that made me sore. It was just holding the gun up. A heavier setup does decreases muzzle climb, so a cheaper alternative to barrel porting is attaching lead weights to the front of the gun. It should work.

#55 ·
Buyer beware, if you put a Surefire forend on your shotgun, it will get real heavy real quick. One time I stripped my 870 down to stock and was amazed at how light it was, even loaded. Then I put it all back on and realized it wasn't recoil that made me sore. It was just holding the gun up. A heavier setup does decreases muzzle climb, so a cheaper alternative to barrel porting is attaching lead weights to the front of the gun. It should work.
The Surefire fore end was the least of the weight issue. I went from a Beretta 1201FP, with it's lightweight, polymer/aluminum/mystery metal construction, to the Marine Magnum, with it's all steel, super heavy construction. The fact that I added the fore end was the least of my weight issues at the time. Either way, the 870 will be around and performing many years after the Beretta, IMO.

#56 ·
The Surefire fore end was the least of the weight issue. I went from a Beretta 1201FP, with it's lightweight, polymer/aluminum/mystery metal construction, to the Marine Magnum, with it's all steel, super heavy construction. The fact that I added the fore end was the least of my weight issues at the time. Either way, the 870 will be around and performing many years after the Beretta, IMO.
870s will last, no questions asked. For me, I took mine out on a coyote hunting escapade that lasted all evening and well into the early morning. When you're trekking through hilly terrain in the dark, every ounce matters. That forend started making the gun pretty heavy. However, I should've had the sense to unload the sidesaddle, stock saddle, and take off the magazine extension before I went. Either way, I'll keep the Surefire on it for good except for turkey hunting. It's always nice to be able to blast 65 lumens exactly where you're pointing.

#59 ·
870s will last, no questions asked. For me, I took mine out on a coyote hunting escapade that lasted all evening and well into the early morning. When you're trekking through hilly terrain in the dark, every ounce matters. That forend started making the gun pretty heavy. However, I should've had the sense to unload the sidesaddle, stock saddle, and take off the magazine extension before I went. Either way, I'll keep the Surefire on it for good except for turkey hunting. It's always nice to be able to blast 65 lumens exactly where you're pointing.
65 lumens? You still using that horribly inefficient Surefire incandescent bulb? Go here, buy this, immediately(!):

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

In fact, buy two or three at the price they are selling them, you won't regret it, I promise. For a slightly costlier alternative, but a very well made product that you won't ever, ever be disappointed with, go here:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7

I'd say for the money, the R2 drop in can't be beat!

#61 ·
Hey 03..from one Grunt to another.............I LIKE THAT Ol' School Model 37 !!:cool:

#62 ·
Squished...............WOW!! Do you "wheel"that around ????
NICE AVATAR TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#67 ·
For "tactical" situations, I've never been a big fan of gadgets. I keep mine simple.;)

I'm with the grunt,

This is as tackycool as my shotguns get:

6 shot Mossberg 500 with heavy wall 18.5" barrel and screw in chokes.

#69 ·
65 lumens? You still using that horribly inefficient Surefire incandescent bulb? Go here, buy this, immediately(!):

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

In fact, buy two or three at the price they are selling them, you won't regret it, I promise. For a slightly costlier alternative, but a very well made product that you won't ever, ever be disappointed with, go here:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7

I'd say for the money, the R2 drop in can't be beat!
Thanks. I'll definitely have to grab one of those. The P60 (65 lumens) is plenty for HD ranges, but for the woods, 235 lumens would be really nice, and the runtime is longer than with the P60 bulb.