close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Tactical reload versus speed reload

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Jul 7, 2007.

1. In real life combat situations, which would you prefer? tactical reload? or speed reload? forget about paper targets or steel poppers that dont shoot back, and you need cover as badly as a good sight picture in a situation where you're indeed under fire, which type of reload would you rather do?

2. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    tactical. sayang mags ngayon mahal na. ok lang speed reload basta after the gunfight kunin ko mags at baril ng kalaban :supergrin:

3. Of course the 'Tactical Reload' just has to be better. After all it's got the word TACTICAL in it's name!

I just got in a case of 'Tactical Toilet Paper.' Once it arrived I realized it was nothing more than a repackaging of the old 'John Wayne Toilet Paper.'

You know, the stuff thats 'Rough and Tough and don't take **** off Nobody!'

Bottom line, if it says 'Tactical' it HAS to be better!!!

[​IMG]

4. If it is between life and death situation, and spare ammo is not an issue..then nothing beats the speed reload..:thumbsup:

5. i agree. speed reload is still the move you can depend on in times of extreme stressful situations.

6. bulm540

bulm540

Jun 18, 2004
    TN
    Ditto! Move while doing speed reload.

7. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    I remember I joined a competition back in the Philippines(well, several of them) designed by Joe Lopez-Vito, a student of Col. Jeff Cooper. The course was made to teach us how to save our mags. We were only limited to 4 single-stack mags, which, according to him is the average no. of mags one carries concealed in a 1911. He told us that we could either do speed or tactical reloads.

Those who dumped their mags either weren't able to finish the course or had to backtrack and retrieve their dropped mags just to finish the course.

He didn't specify the no. of rounds to be used in the course. He is famous for creating surprise COFs. His rationale (and I've always believed in it)is that in the real world, you don't know what to expect.

8. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Anyone knw a gunfight where reloads saved the day?

9. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Sep 15, 2001
    19th Hole
    Here is how I was trained every other month for the last 11 years:

Tactical reload is used when there is a momentary lull (I know redundant)during an engagement. This is where we re-assess, recover or regroup.

Speed reload is just that, reload now when you know your pipe is empty. Otherwise, tac reload, keep your mag but maintain contact with suspect, assess and re-engage if you have to.

This training is used during shotgun qual months as well.

Hope my reply helps.

10. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

May 31, 2006
    i must admit, that article makes some very good arguments against the tac reload.

i'm re-thinking my stand, actually.

maybe a speed reload, then retrieve the partially-loaded mag from the ground if you need to. the writer suggests the same at the end part of the article.

has IDPA paid any attention to this?

11. TTPower

TTPower

Aug 2, 2006
    philippines
    in my understanding TACTICAL reloads are suppose to be done under cover (where u have time on ur side and u can assess ur surrounding for incoming hostiles) it is suppose to give u the advantage of a fully charged weapon and at the same time keeping the partially used mag if ever u need more ammo.

i dont think any1 would even attempt a speed reload if his weapon still has ammos and he's under fire without cover :)

12. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

Sep 16, 2006
    Philippines
    IMHO, i need to practice both. changing magazines in real life scenario would be on case to case basis. you might be needing to tactically change your magazine if you have the opportunity to do so and you have limited ammos, yet in different scenario where time is the essence speed load is a must. so on both styles there's no pros and cons. wala kang tulak kabigin...

13. Poodle

Poodle

Jul 4, 2006
    Doing a tactical reload with a Glock 21 is a killer. You are likely to drop the mags, injure your fingers when they get caught between mags and magwells, fumble with them or fail to lock the mag in the magwell. With the G19, tactical relaods are manageable. In a gunfight however, I'll most probably be doing speed reloads.

If I have somebody else covering me, I could probably do tactical reloads, but if I'm all alone, I'll do speed reloads and try to run away as fast as possible from the gunfight zone.

14. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

May 31, 2006
    agree on all counts.

if an assailant is on the move, running towards you with a big shiny knife or a rusty pipe, that is the worst time to do a tac reload.

like saki and jerrytrini said, practice both and know when to apply them.

15. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    In a civilian setting , could it be the only reason you have to reload is because you were missing---a lot

16. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

Sep 16, 2006
    Philippines
    in real threat scenario almost all targets/perpetrators are moving, naturally people will seek for safety when there's threat. the same as you, you will consciously put yourself to safety as you engage. most likely missing the target are possible. a big difference between IPSC match and the real threat is you're engaging targets that shooting back. yet it's an advantage that you join matches whether IPSC or IDPA to develop your "stability under pressure" and the confidence that you can hit. in the match your aim is to get the highest points in the shortest time, in real life threat your goal is to survive. the outcome of a course in a match is most likely predictable, which is contradicts in real life because your targets think. you can even practice your moves as you enter the stage of a match. therefore it's better to practice both reloading styles as you don't know what might be the "course" you are entering to. if practicing reloads in matches is a must, how much more in life threatening course. ;)

17. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Could it be if you have thinking ,moving targets and yu are not able to neutralize them or flee to safetey , it might be you are dead before you have time for the speed load

Anyone know a gunfight scenario between civilians ( barilan bertween plitical goons not included ) where more than 1 mag was needed?