Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Tactical Medic

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by 4095fanatic, Aug 15, 2007.

1. 4095fanatic

Oct 12, 2006
    Was wondering if we had any tactical medics out here (SWAT, ERT, SRT, HRT, etc.). In about a year I decided that that is something I would seriously like to consider doing; I've heard training programs by Blackwater USA and some others thrown around, but was wondering what ya'll (or your buddies) have used, and any recommendations/advice. Also, would it be better to wait until I become a sworn officer to take the course? I figured it'd be better to get it out of the way beforehand as otherwise I'd need to take at least a week off to get it done, but not totally sure on that one. Additionally, should I put forth the time and delay another year to finish getting my ALS cert, or is NREMT-B fine (in general; I know it varies from department to department). Thanks guys!

5 years experience in EMS.
  2. sprmedic69

Jul 4, 2005
    SW Ohio
    SWAT medic here. Not a sworn police officer. I do carry a pistol and rifle during calls along with my EMS equipment. I train right along with the LEO's. I am in on all entries, and rotate in the stack like the rest of them.

3. 4095fanatic

Oct 12, 2006
    Thats interesting... how would you be covered legally if you used deadly force since you aren't sworn?
  4. sprmedic69

Jul 4, 2005
    SW Ohio
    Email me direct, and I will forward a copy of the details to you. It is way too complicated for me to explain in a few paragraphs, and not being an attorney, I don't understand all aspects of it myself to explain it clearly.
  5. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Is it just an Ohio thing because I'd be interested in it if it would work in Texas.
  6. sprmedic69

Jul 4, 2005
    SW Ohio
    Ryan......Not sure about things in TX. This is OHIO specific, but it may apply in other states.

4095.....I got your email. When I get off shift and get home, I will dig that file up on my PC and forward it to you.
  7. boxermedic

Mar 1, 2007
    Could I get a copy as well, I am in process of getting involved as a Tac medic. This might be great info to have. The medics can not carry unless they are police in this unit.
  8. Medic721

Medic721 CLM

Oct 31, 2000
    Nassau County, NY US
    I would like a copy as well. I work as a Paramedic with a Police Department and out Tactical EMT's are not armed. (Which I think does make sense, but that is another discussion) BUt thi is a topis that is often debated.

9. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Where in SW ohio are you?
  10. kris926

Nov 3, 2004
    NE Ohio
    pm sent to sprmedic69.
  11. 10-32

10-32 Here, hold this

Dec 16, 2005
    Under the radar

Tactical? Yeah, we do that. :thumbsup:

Actually though, one of my civilian instructors in Medic school was a SWAT Medic on whichever Police force he worked for. Seemed pretty cool to me. If I get out of the Military young enough, that's something I may very well look into for myself also.

With "only" having civilian EMT training, I'd think an EMT-I or EMT-P would be much more appealing to the folks you want to affiliate with. Heck, even Army Medic training doesn't amount to squat once you transition to the civilian sector.
    Hands-on EMS experience is a bonus, but most places want the advanced certs as far as I know.

Have you been in touch with some local agencies? What do they say?
  12. Dustin@C.I.S.

Sep 27, 2007
    Smyrna TN
    I am a SWAT tactical medic. I was on the team for about a year when they asked for a volunteer to go through EMT-IV school. The knowledge and experience I had prior to becoming the medic allowed me to apply the techniques I was learning to "real world" situations. I am first a entry team member, and then if the need arises I switch into medic mode.