close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Tactical 870 vs Moss 590A1?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by youngbuck, Jan 4, 2010.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

Jan 4, 2010
    The 870 is a Class III with a pistol grip and 10" barrel for $700

The Mossberg has a pistol grip handle, collapsable stock, side saddle for 5 shots and is about $450.

Would be used just for HD and the range. Any pros/cons would be appreciated

2. YogiBearFan

YogiBearFan

Nov 28, 2009
    Who's stock is on the Mossberg? The 590A1 has its safety on the top, and using it in conjunction with a pistol grip can become an issue for shooters.

The 590A1 is a much heavier shotgun, compared to the 10" 870. You really are comparing apples/oranges at this point.

If the 870 is made off of an "express" with plastic trigger housing, I would suggest you go with the mossberg.

Pistol grips on shotguns RARELY work towards the shooters advantage. They take practice to handle properly.

3. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

Jan 4, 2010
    The Mossberg website has it listed as the 590A1 Special Purpose.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. Puppy

Puppy

Nov 12, 2006
    590A1's are my favorite HD shotguns.

I prefer my 590A1's with a standard speed feed stock (4 extra shells nicely tucked away), a 20 inch barrel with a full length magazine (8+1 capacity), a weapon light & Ghost Ring sights sitting up top = ultimate home defense weapon IMHO.

However 870's are decent shotguns, I have owned a bunch over the years (I still have one of the old original Express's) but I personally like the ergonomics better on my Mossbergs.

Either way, both are more than capable HD shotguns.

5. Tederrific

Tederrific

Mar 21, 2001
    Probably work
    As stated above, if the 870 is an "express" model I'd stay away from it. I have one and it rusts unless you keep it oiled all the time. There are also a number of other ways the express line is cheaped out on, and not in ways which I would be comfortable with if the shotgun is meant for serious use. Now if it's a police/wingmaster model, then you are good to go.

6. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

Feb 12, 2007
    Northern Ohio
    A laser and light along with a recoil reducing pistol grip make a good setup, IMO.
    [​IMG]

7. i have a couple of the Benelli Novas w/ mag ext and ghost sites and wont go back to the 500's or the 870's these things eat anything that has the # 12 on it regardless and thats very reasuring