close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

TacStar Side Saddle or elastic sleeve?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by azbuckeye, Oct 1, 2011.

1. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

Jan 15, 2011
    On the beach
    Thinking of adding a TacStar Side Saddle or Koplin Elastic Sleeve Shell Holder to my Remington 870 Tactical SG. Anyone have experience with both? Any preferences?

Thanks.....

2. nismochasse

nismochasse

Sep 15, 2010
    I used an elastic sleeve in the Marines and have a side saddle on my hd 870. I prefer the side saddle because it's easier for me to grab rounds out of.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I'd take a Mesa side saddle over either, followed by the Tac Star. The older elastomer in the Mesa side-saddle doesn't work as well for long term ammo storage in the saddle(it was designed more fore duty use where the saddle would be loaded and unloaded at shift change or when issued from armory), but I believe they now offer a newer one intended for long-term use.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    What plank said.

Ensure you loctite the screws as well, or they'll vibrate out under recoil in the Tacstar version.

5. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    +1 to this. Not sure about different versions but you can buy new inserts for versions currently being sold if tension gets too loose.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I have a Tac Star on an 1100 for 3gun that has worked well so far.

7. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    i have a tac star on my duty 870 that i use daily, no issues yet

8. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    I've used Mesa and Tac-Star. Both perform well. Get the non-elastic version. I have had the elastic wear over time and lose it's ability to hold the shells, which is the whole reason it is there!!!

9. 757CC

757CC

Jun 23, 2009
    NC
    Get the Mesa Tactical side saddle....quality parts!

10. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    Take a look at the 3gungear side saddles, too.

bc

11. .50 cal

.50 cal

Jan 4, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Do you have experience with these? do they hold up?

12. I have them on 3 of my shotguns for a couple of years now and they have held up great. I know a lot of people that use them for 3gun and home defense. They are also supplied with the MCS 870's for the military.

13. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    Definitely 3G. It's completely resilient, so more durable and holds shells better. And you can stick with the OE pins, so no thread issues. I guess velcro wear would be the only worry, but I've had mine about 8 months (~15 matches) and have yet to separate it.

I think the elastic grips the shells more consistently, so is easier to remove them. It is a bit harder to insert shells until you get the hang of it, but that is not much of a concern to me.

If you have to have a rigid side saddle, then Mesa would be worth the additional cost over TacStar. I would not trust the gaskets in the Mesa as much as I do the elastic, though.

14. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    I've had mine for a few months...I'd have to look up when I bought it.

The sidesaddle has been through two classes and numerous practice/training sessions. It's never come off the gun, and still holds the shells solidly.

It's definitely good to go.

bc

15. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    The elastic butt sleeves really suck. After a month or two they will sag or drop rounds. Avoid them.

The side saddles are good for a patrol shotgun, but they ruin the balance of a shotgun IMO. I have one on my patrol shotgun because capacity is a shotguns weakness.

For my HD shotgun I dont use a saddle, the 4 in the tube are enough for me.