close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TacSol 15rd Mag for AA Kit

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SonicRaT, Mar 7, 2012.

1. SonicRaT

SonicRaT

Has anyone else tried the new Tactical Solutions 15rd magazines for the Advantage Arm's kits yet? I picked up a couple of them a few days back, and have shot a boatload of ammo through them and am not having any luck at all.

In their original form, I had nearly a 70% failure rate using Golden Bullets, Blazers, or anything I'd put in them. I had all sorts of different failures.

1) The bullet would 'stall' in the magazine, it'd ram into the plastic wall of the magazine and simply not move, rather than 'nosing up' into the feed rail to the barrel
    2) The round would 'leap' straight up, usually as a result of spring tension and colliding straight with the magazine wall, causing it to stove pipe.
    3) occasional round that would start to feed, but become lodged partially in the barrel and the slide.

Upon loading the mags, the first thing I notice is the bullets almost always tend to lay flat, they don't want to 'nose up' toward the feed ramp at all. Additionally, the angle of the follower is considerably different between the AA and the TacSol (AA is much steeper!)

I've emailed TacSol a bit about it, and they suggested a break-in (shot a good couple hundred plus through them today with no change), and are trying to come up with some possibilities.

In the meantime, I've notched my own 'feed ramp' into the plastic similar to the original AA magazine (see pictures below). I've also filed the follower to have a more dramatic angle similar to the AA kits. Filing the follower improved things considerably, but still had about a 30% failure rate. I've yet to try with the notched feed ramp which I think will resolve quite a few of my problems.

Anyone else have any luck with these?

Attached Files:

2. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I don't have any, but I do have a question. Do those mags sit flush in the frame, or stick out like the tac sol conversion mags do?

3. SonicRaT

SonicRaT

They stick out, around 3/8th inch or so if I recall. I may have to try the 15rd mod for the AA mag's if this last round of modifications I made don't work out. It feeds by hand a billion times better with the filed follower and making a small feed ramp in the mag itself to guide the round up.

4. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I modded my AA mags for 13 rounds, but sometimes 13 puts too much pressure on the slide and it won't feed on the first shot. I've got 10 mags modded the same and they all act the same way, but I haven't tried to do any more work on them. Loading them for 12 rounds they all work perfectly, I'd probably settle for that if doing them again.

5. SonicRaT

SonicRaT

Interesting, makes me wonder how the 15 rounders are fairing. In any event, after some more fiddling I've discovered that the rounds don't properly stack if you try to use the finger plunger to pull the follower down by hand to make loading easy. Almost every time I'd load this way, the rounds wouldn't stack offset, they'd stand ontop of each other which increased the failure rate tremendously. Loading by hand similar to the original AA mags eliminated that problem, but I still had 3-4 failures per mag. I'm hoping to try out the added 'feed ramp' as this seems to resolve a lot of the issues I've seen cycling by hand.

6. SonicRaT

SonicRaT

Another update, went out last week and shot a box (525) of golden through. The modified mag with the added 'feed ramp' performed nearly flawlessly. I'll be modifying my remaining in the same way with just the 'feed ramp' and not filing the follower and seeing if I end up with a similar result.

7. Kona dawg

Kona dawg

Aa now makes a 25 rd = no problems

8. SonicRaT

SonicRaT

True, although the size is something not many are entirely fond of. Although, the TacSol's are an inch or so out the bottom as well.