close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SxS for quail?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by spartan88, Jan 20, 2007.

1. spartan88

spartan88 Me vs. Pheasant

Oct 23, 2006
    Northern IL
    Is a side by side 20ga an option for quail or dove? Or is an O/U a better choice?

2. suckersrus

suckersrus

May 13, 2000
    Kenai, Alaska
    For some reason, north of the Mason Dixon line quail tend to fly one above the other. So the O/O is the best choice.

South of the Mason Dixon line, when you jump quail they tend to fly left and right, so go with the SS.

:animlol:

Actually, it is the shooter's choice. The SS feels too "wide" to me and uncomfortable for fast action. It works OK if I have plenty of time. But with quail, things usually happen rather fast.

The point of aim with a SS is between the barrels and the shot charges will cross somewhere out in front of the muzzles.
    The O/O is simply a single barrel with another single barrel stacked on it. The sighting is the same for both barrels. So, in theory the O/O should be the easiest to master.

I have an SKB O/U and it just feels and points "normal" for me.

Have you shot both? Your impression?

3. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

May 16, 1999
    New Hampshire
    SxS 20 is just fine for quail. Get yourself some #8s and you'll be set.

4. Yes a SXS or O/U would be okay for quail, just reloading would be a ***** and you only have 2 shots.

btw: I use 7s or 7.5s for more shot in the air and a cleaner kill. I've even use #6s in tight brush to make sure the quail is down good.