close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Switching from Westell to 2-wire home portal

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by PicardMD, May 20, 2007.

1. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

Feb 16, 2002
    Star Fleet Medical...
    I don't know much about computer networking...

Our current modem is a Westell 6100 from our DSL provider (Bellsouth, if it makes a difference).

We have an old 2-Wire Homeportal 1000HW that is not "supported" by Bellsouth (they support 1000SW, have no idea the differences), would love to be able to use it for home wireless.

I have found that simply disconnecting from Westell Modem and plugging in the 2-wire does not work... (OK, I don't know much about modems...)

Can someone tell me, step by step, what I need to do to switch from the Westell modem to the 2-wire homeportal? Or if it is even possible on a modem not supported by my DSL provider. And, HOW TO SWITCH BACK TO WESTELL IF THIS EXPERIMENT FAILS... need to know before hand in case I can't connect to the internet and ask for help if it fails... :supergrin:

P

2. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    You connect up the 2wire. You then need to login into it via it IP. I think 2wire is 192.168.1.1 Make sure the login is set to PPoE and put in your username and password for your DSL service.

3. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

Feb 16, 2002
    Star Fleet Medical...
    And if the above doesn't work, would I be able to just hook it up to my old Westell? Or do I need to reconfigure the Westell (?how) again?

Also, anything I should do (or can do) to make the 2-wire home wireless as secure as it can be? I have a 2-wire card that came with the homeportal, how do I use it with my laptop besides just insert it into it?

Thanks, I know they are probably simple questions... I'm old.

P.