close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"SWATting" The left's new attack on bloggers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JohnW1963, May 29, 2012.

1. JohnW1963

JohnW1963

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/05/29/the_lefts_dangerous_new_line_of_attack_swatting

SWATting:

"What does the far left do when they disagree with conservative bloggers? They call the police from a phone program pretending to be that blogger, say something horrific such as "I just shot my wife," hang up and then laugh as a local SWAT team descends on the house of the blogger"

First Patterico in California and Now erik ericksson too!

I am interested in not just the political aspects of this new line of attack, but also criminal investigations and how to combat this new tactic. Normally I would only post this in Political, but I am interested in the Free Speech aspects as well so I put it here. Also, what does this say about us?

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

3. JMag

JMag

Pranks like this can turn fatal. Notifying local authorities ahead of a potential swatting could also get one in a reverse boy cries wolf scenario. It should be in the FBI's hands. Of course, that's under the auspices of Holder, so problematic...at best.

4. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

The problem with SWATing, is that while it can fool quick check systems like 911, it is easy for the police to go back to the service providers and see where the call really came from later.

(Of course, is liberals were smart, Obama would still be a community organizer). :)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. xidica

xidica

Not if the call is placed from an offshore dedicated VOIP server. Keep in mind most of the people doing this aren't using their own computer, nor are they using a traditional phone line. They are using offshore VPN and proxies to hide where the connection sourced from.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. arclight610

arclight610

This is truth. When I was at the Pentagon, we'd get crazy calls and threats all the time. No way to track it when using stuff like that. Tracfones work as well, as long as they are destroyed right after the call.

7. JohnW1963

JohnW1963

Didn't know that this kind of thing was going on back in 08 and 09. I try to catch my news in about as broad a net as I can and I never saw it used like these new cases. It seems like the the ones in 2008 and 2009 were merely pranks though. Now it is being used to target conservative bloogers and silence them. To me that's a lot different than a silly stupid high teenager making prank SWAT calls.

And hopefully the FBI will investigate??? Oh yea, Holder, right, forget about that!

8. series1811

Trust me. You don't have a clue.

9. series1811

No, it's just nobody is going to go to the trouble to track that kind of call. If it's important enough, like somebody getting killed, and you bring the right people to the table, you would be surprised.

As a matter of fact, you would probably be surprised at a lot of things foresic electronic technolodgy can do these days.

This statement alone is full of fail.

10. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

You cannot use a Tracfone to "impersonate" another number. You can use it, make one phone call, then destroy it to make it difficult to trace, but they will still know your general location when the call was made at the very least.

Also, name me one store that doesn't have video surveillance where you can buy a Tracfone. Even if you pay cash for the phone, they can at least get the video of you buying it or going in the store.

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Nope. The 2008 case resulted in a conviction for witness intimidation.

People have been doing this for years, and it has nothing to do with the left other than some idiots on that side recently discovering it.

12. treeline

treeline

How do you know these calls weren't made by stupid teenagers? The townhall article made a huge leap in claiming these latest calls were some new tactic of 'the left' to silence conservative bloggers. The best evidence they could get was a writer promoting her book.

There's no way Swatting would be condoned by most liberals. It's far more likely to be a couple of geeks from the chan community pranking someone who annoyed them. Claiming this is a tactic of the left is partisan exaggeration.

13. arclight610

arclight610

I worked in the SecDef's office. I'm pretty sure they used what means they could. Every threat was taken seriously. When something was reported, a little team of guys came up with their equipment and did some stuff for a few hours. Sometimes they could get them, like if they were stateside and sometimes they couldn't.

14. xidica

xidica

I've worked in a high level information security job for 7 years, around 2 years of it heavily involved in VOIP, but I wont get long winded in argument with you. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia(I know, nothing on there is perfect) :

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

"Caller ID spoofing, social engineering, prank call and phone
    phreaking techniques may be combined. 911 systems (including telephony
    and human operators) have been tricked by calls placed from cities
    hundreds of miles away.

Two examples: using a service that permits people to call using a
    spoofed caller-id, the prankster uses the phone number of the victim,
    calls the police and pretends there is a hostage situation. Other
    possibility; prankster signs up for internet-based phone VOIP service
    in the victim's area code, signs on to the website of the VOIP
    provider, and registers the victim's address as theirs for 911, then
    calls 911 and again, misinforms the police that there is a hostage
    situation."

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. JohnW1963

JohnW1963

Another ad hominem: "You are wrong because you are being partisan." I guess we'll see if anything comes of this, but if you really, really think that this was just random stupid H.S. pranks there is no hope for you.

16. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Don't expect the BHO administration to do anything about it, so long as the right is being targeted.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Why don't the right do the same thing to the liberal bloggers?

18. treeline

treeline

It's hard to quote you since you added your comments to mine, but here goes:

It's not a personal attack to note that the only evidence of the swatters politics is the opinion of someone who mentions her own book, one that has no bearing on the acts in question.

Calling an assertion of political motive with no evidence whatsoever partisan is now ad hominum?

Your claims that the swatting was ignored by the MSM for political reasons is strange since Erickson, as a pundit for CNN, is part of the MSM. The other guy was a blogger, not a well-known one, and can't be compared to the nationally known TV personalties you mentioned.

Speaking of ad homs... I never said the Swatting was random or done by High Schoolers. You've deliberately misrepresented what I said so you could end with a condescending comment. :shame:

This is why I rarely post in PI. Every thread becomes an argument.

19. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Two can play that game.

20. JohnW1963

JohnW1963