close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sutures

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by C.Smith, Apr 27, 2012.

1. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

Jun 22, 1999
    Eastern Washington
    Are they a good idea to have and learn how to do? Looking for ideas for solo backpacking/hunting. Also where is a good place to get them.

Corey

2. JC Refuge

JC Refuge

Oct 8, 2007
    MN
    Adventure Medical offers a Suture Syringe Medic Kit, though they emphasize it is not for non-professional use (see the video at our linked listing). Our member price on that is $20 shipped.

You're talking solo adventures, so I assume you are looking at sewing up your own wounds, right? I would ask a medical professional about how you might do that.

It's possible for some folks to be able to do that, at least for some wounds. But whether you can get training for that--I'm guessing not. Still, you might get some tips from those who regularly perform the procedure on others. And at the very least, if someone else is around or if someone else is the one who is hurt, you'll be better equipped to try to deal with the situation.

3. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

Jun 22, 1999
    Eastern Washington
    I'm hoping our local ER will help me out on Training. I'm know of few the doctors there.

Corey

4. Super glue works great for wound closure. Don't seal the wound shut. Dot it on with a placement like you would with sutures.

5. Armchair

Armchair

Sep 9, 2009
    Missouri
    Personally, and I'm no physician, I'd use duct tape (no kidding) to help hold a would closed until I could get somewhere. Tying sutures in a painful, stressful, austere environment sounds like a good way to make things worse. I also keep a skin stapler (pre-filled) for the same purpose. Dirt simple to use--unlike proper sutures. And, Harmonic is right. Super glue isn't all that bad either, but it can be messy and slow to dry. Anything that involves skill is perishable and easy to screw up in an emergency. Still, it would be nice to have the knowledge.

6. peng

peng

Nov 16, 2011
    Michigan
    Super glue was invented for this very purpose.

7. I use super glue and/or blue masking tape. Did both to put a split toenail back. Healed up fine.

Working on pulling some wires in the attic (crawl space on top of house) and cut a blood vessel on my left pointer (trigger finger). Had a roll of masking tape, so after sucking the wound attempting to remove any trash which might have entered I did this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437844450.909668.jpg

Also healed fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Mar 11, 2008
    Think i have been cut up to many times, i have experience with all the options.

Sutures are fairly easy to do, but hard to do well/neatly, especially on yourself. You need to clean the wound thoroughly, and assess the damage. If its just the top layer, and there is no real muscle or tendon damage, You'll probably be fine even with rough sutures.

Super glue was ORIGINALLY developed for use in optics and optics. Did not work as desired, and got shelved. It's big public debut was in Vietnam for wounds.
    modern medical superglue ( dermabond ) is a bit different than the stuff from the hardware store. Slightly flexible, and less skin irritation. That said, it BURNS ! In my case, it also let go after 3 days.

Medical staplers are very simple and easy to use. Again, would cleaning and assessment. They are good if lots of swelling is expected. Would suggest getting the removal tool, make taking them out much more comfortable.

9. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    U R ahead of yourself
    To close a wound U need training and education to determine what wounds to close primarily , and what wounds to leve open for secondary closure, and finally what wounds to never close.
    An incompletely cleansed wound with foreign material inside and the added foreign suture material is a set-up for an abscess.
    In short unless U have this training, leave it open wash it frequently, and let it close by itself with progressive granulation tissue. Open wounds get colonized,but rarely infected especially on the face and scalp..however
    the scar may not be as nice as when primarily sutured.

U will get in more trouble closing wounds than letting the close by themselves...

http://www.practicalplasticsurgery.org/docs/Practical_10.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047833/

Glock Commander and Atomic Punk like this.
  10. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    I don't think I'd close a wound in the field, no real need. Let it heal by tertiary intention.

Let's say you have a wound that a physician would close, even in the field, but for whatever reason you don't seek help for 16 hrs. The doctor likely will not close the wound at that point. So it will heal, just leave a scar.

11. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

Oct 15, 2010
    Amazon or E-Bay for sterile packaged (outdated - but still good) sutures; very inexpensive and can get a good variety. Also Amazon or E-Bay for medical staplers. Also, online veterinary stores for both items.

12. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

Oct 15, 2010
    Amazon or E-Bay for sterile packaged (outdated - but still good) sutures; very inexpensive and can get a good variety. Also Amazon or E-Bay for medical staplers. Also, online veterinary stores for both items.

13. rds95991

rds95991

Aug 21, 2011
    I always carry super glue with me and it binds instantly to skin. You may want to carry the solvent with you just in case it binds where you don't want it.

There are some wounds that you do not want to seal completely so you may want to consider getting some books form the local JC or online for EMTs and paramedics.

14. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    EMTs and paramedics are not taught to suture.

This may shock you, it did me, doctors Amy not get formal instruction on suturing, they mostly get OJT.