close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Suspect shot dead by police in New Brunswick (NJ)

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Ajon412, Sep 22, 2011.

1. You're gonna love this one....High drug area, coppers make contact with BG, BG runs and climbs over a fence to escape. One of the officers tries to crawl under the fence and gets stuck. BG double backs and starts assaulting the copper with a piece of wood. A second officer arrives and shoots BG.....

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?s...ersey&id=8363859&rss=rss-wabc-article-8363859

Really !!!!! :shocked:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/protesters_descend_upon_new_br.html

Responsible, but even more surprising:

2. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    He was 47, a known drug addict(his familys words) ran from the cops , then hit the cop with a board. Sounds like a good shoot, hope the cop that was hit is ok. Where did she think the warning shoot was going to go if the cop randomly fired? At this guys age he should have known better, if he wasn't doing anything he shouldn't have ran.

3. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    Guess Bernie doesn't know warning shots are not permitted in NJ.

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I thought that warning shot was fired sometime around 1999, some must have not heard it.

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Don't hit the cops and then you will not get shot for hitting the cops! :steamed:

6. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Apr 27, 2005
    Colorado
    A warning shot WAS fired. The sh**head getting wasted, and thats the warning for the other crackheads :supergrin:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  7. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    Warning-Now that you are dead, don't do that again!! LOL!!!!

8. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    :rofl::whistling:

9. [​IMG]

10. TKOFaith

TKOFaith The InTIMidator

Jul 6, 2011
    Western Wisconsin
    "Our position is that justice should be done, once we get the facts," she said. "Officers are trained to shoot without killing."

I'm not a LEO, but I've always heard that LE is trained to shoot to kill. Am I wrong?:dunno:

11. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    We are trained to shoot to stop the threat. When the threat is over, you don't shoot. While the threat is going on you stop the threat.

12. To answer your question, yes and no....Some departments / agencies you're taught in the academy that you shoot to "Stop" and if the BG dies, then so be it. Other departments / agencies / jurisdictions you're taught to shoot to "Kill".....It's really the same difference....:whistling:...Just from my experience in dealing with coppers from different jurisdictions....

13. TKOFaith

TKOFaith The InTIMidator

Jul 6, 2011
    Western Wisconsin
    But you are trained to stop the threat via POA COM, right?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  14. TKOFaith

TKOFaith The InTIMidator

Jul 6, 2011
    Western Wisconsin
    Toh-mah-toh / Toh-may-toh I guess. I guess all the wording is political and comes down from the State/Federal Bigwigs. Thanks for the reply.

15. New Brunswick has some bad areas.

Johnson and Johnson dumped a lot of money into the city, but that money went to the business section.

I am glad the coppers are okay. Beating someone with a stick, especially a trapped individual, is most definately a deadly use of force situation.

16. BGs whose sole intent is to get away from the popo would have seen the LEO getting stuck in the fence as a godsend opportunity to make good their escape. The fact that this POS doubled back after realizing the LEO was stuck speaks volume of his intentions.

Shooting was too good for him. But appropriate.

17. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    In the Army we are simply trained to aim for "center mass" - I would assume that is what would be taught as the most effective way to stop a threat and kill.

Perhaps not?

18. All shooters from day 1 are taught to shoot at the Center of Mass. When you use a bullseye target, where's the "10" ring located? Right in the center of all the other circles! That's right! You're taught to aim for the "10" ring, with the understanding that if you miss that, hopefully your bullets will hit the "9" or "7" or "2" ring, but still stay on paper.

So if you're firing real bullets, in a real neighborhood where there are real innocent bystanders in the background, the intent is always to hit the "10" ring. But should your aim be off, it is still preferable for the errant bullets to hit the "2" ring than miss the target altogether and strike the backstop/bystanders.

LEOs are taught the same. To stop the immediate deadly threat, aim for the "10" ring of the BG's largest exposed part (think hiding behind hard cover).

If you're going to say "but the human body's torso is the largest mass, and that's where the heart, lungs and other vital organs are", you'll have to go and ask your goddess why she designed the human body that way.

The only reason why LEOs use their gun is to stop the threat. The BG dying is an unintended, unfortunate consequence.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Apr 27, 2005
    Colorado
    Fixed it for you :supergrin:

20. acpd541

acpd541

Aug 11, 2004
    Indiana
    Actually, head-shots are the most effective way to stop a threat. Works on humans and zombies... :supergrin: