close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Survival books

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Biscuitsjam, Dec 19, 2006.

1. RedDawg6

RedDawg6
    Expand Collapse

I highly recomend the book "Patriots Surviving The Coming Collapse" by James Wessly Rawles. It is basically a survival manual written as a novel. The first read is for the pure enjoyment of the plot. It will keep you up at night! The second read is for the survial info and links. I used a yellow highlighter. Every page has useful info.
    Here's a link: http://www.rawles.to/patriots.htm

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Vic303

Vic303
    Expand Collapse

Free books of interest--public domain etc.
    LINK

3. Penguini66

Penguini66
    Expand Collapse

Stumbled on this listing of books last night: Country Living Grain Mill - Cook Books

Cookin' with Home Storage - Vicki Tate
    The Amazing Wheat Book - Learta Moulton
    Basic Preparedness - Richard Mankamyer
    Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book - Laurel Robertson with Carol Flinders & Bronwen Godfrey
    The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens - Danial Wing and Alan Scott
    The BackYard Berry Book - Stella Otto
    Build Your Own Earth Oven - Kilko Denzer
    Four Season Harvest - Eliot Coleman
    Preserving Food: without Freezing or Canning - By The Gardeners & Farmers of Terre Vivante with foreword by Eliot Coleman
    Seet to Seed - Suzanne Ashworth
    Garden Seed Inventory - Kent Whealey and Joanne Thuente
    Whole Foods Companion - Dianne Onstad

There may be some repeats here but a few caught my eye:
    Actually, they all look decent.

4. boomcat

boomcat
    Expand Collapse

AMAZING BOOK!
    A man and his 8-year-old son are walking south through a burned-out, ash-covered landscape. They have a shopping cart, binoculars, a revolver with three rounds, and a dozen cans of food. They have hundreds of miles to go and it's snowing.

5. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

I read The Road, but didn't care much for it. I generally prefer the post-apocalyptic stories that cover the period leading up to and right after whatever disaster happens instead of later. Anyway, I've been collecting this type of book for about 30 years, and have collected quite a few of them. Here's my list of the ones I have in my library:

48 - James Herbert
    8.4 - Peter Hernon
    A Hunter's Fire - Floyd D. Dale
    Aftermath - Charles Sheffield
    Aftermath - LeVar Burton
    After the Bomb(series) - Gloria D. Miklowitz
    After the Rain - John Bowen
    Airship Nine - Thomas H. Block
    Alas Babylon - Pat Frank
    Amerika - Brauna E. Pouns
    A Place Called Attar - J.D. Belanger
    Arc Light - Eric L. Harry
    Armageddon(short stories) - David Drake & Billie Sue Mosiman
    Ashes, Ashes - Rene Barjavel
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    Breakdown - William W. Johnstone
    Cold Creek Cash Store - Russell Hill
    Dark Advent - Brian Hodge
    Dark December - Alfred Coppel
    Death on a Warm Wind - Douglas Warner
    Death Wind - William C. Heine(also published as The Last Canadian)
    Defiance(also published as Vandenberg) - Oliver Lange
    Denver is Missing - D.F. Jones
    Doomsday Plus Twelve - James D. Forman
    Domain - James Herbert
    Down to a Sunless Sea - David Graham
    Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
    Emergence - David R. Palmer
    Ende - Anton-Andreas Guha
    Famine - Graham Masterton
    Firebrats(series) - Barbara & Scott Siegel
    First Angel - Ed Mann
    Free Flight - Douglas Terman
    A Gift Upon the Shore - M.K. Wren
    Heartland - David Hagberg
    I, Martha Adams - Pauline Glen Winslow
    I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
    Ice! - Arnold Federbush
    Ill Wind - Kevin J. Anderson & Doug Beason
    In Iron Years - Gordon R. Dickson
    Into the Forest - Jean Hegland
    Invasion - Eric L. Harry
    Jenny, My Diary
    Jericho Falls - Christopher Hyde
    Level 7 - Mordecai Roshwald
    Living is Forever - J. Edwin Carter
    Long Loud Silence - Wilson Tucker
    Long Voyage Back - Luke Rhinehart
    Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
    Malevil - Robert Merle
    Mister Touch - Malcolm Bosse
    No Blade of Grass - John Christopher
    Not This August - C.M. Kornbluth
    Nuclear War(short stories) - Edited by Gregory Benford & Martin Greenberg
    Omega Sub(series) - J.D. Cameron
    On the Beach - Nevil Shute
    One Just Man - James Mills
    Out of the Ashes(series) - William Johnstone
    Pandemic - Geoffrey Simmons
    Path of the Pale Horse - Paul Fleishman
    Patriots - James Wesley, Rawles
    Power Play - Kenneth M. Cameron
    Pulling Through - Dean Ing
    Rankin: Enemy of the State - John Osier
    Resurrection Day - Brendan DuBois
    Shelter - Dan Ljoka
    Some Will Not Die - Algis Budrys
    Storm Rider(series) - Robert Baron
    Survival 2000(series) - James McPhee
    Survival Margin - David Graham
    Survivors - John Nahmlos
    Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon
    The 40 Minute War - Janet & Chris Morris
    The Big One - Kevin E. Ready
    The Black Death - Gwyneth Cravens and John S. Marr
    The City, Not Long After - Pat Murphy
    The Day of the Star Cities - John Brunner
    The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
    The End of the World(short stories) - Donald A. Wollheim
    The Freeman - Jerry Ahern & Sharon Ahern
    The Iron Rain - Donald Malcolm
    The Kraken Awakes - John Wyndham
    The Land of Empty Houses - John L. Moore
    The Last Ranger - Craig Sargent
    The Last Ship - William Brinkley
    The Long Tomorrow - Leigh Brackett
    The Long Winter - John Christopher
    The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick
    The New Madrid Run - Michael Reisig
    The Plague - Albert Camus
    The Postman - David Brin
    The Rest Must Die - Richard Foster
    The Rift - Walter J. Williams
    The Sheep Look Up - John Brunner
    The Stand - Stephen King
    The Steel, The Mist, and the Blazing Sun - Christopher Anvil
    The Survivalist (series) - Jerry Ahern
    The Turner Diaries - Andrew MacDonald
    The Wild Shore - Kim Stanley Robinson
    Those Who Favor Fire - Marta Randall
    Time Capsule - Mitch Berman
    Tomorrow! - Philip Wylie
    Vector - Henry Sutton
    War Day - Whitley Streiber and James Kunetka
    When the City Stopped - Joan Phipson
    When the Almond Tree Blossoms - David Aikman
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang - Kate Wilhelm
    Wolf and Iron - Gordon R. Dickson
    Wrath of God - Robert Gleason
    Z for Zachariah - Robert C. O'brien

6. Jesus

Jesus
    Expand Collapse

Couple of your favorites from that list?

7. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

It's always tough narrowing it down to my favorites. Lucifer's Hammer is one of the top ones(I've been waiting for them to make a movie of it). I've always liked Alas Babylon, Day of the Triffids, Long Voyage Back and No Blade of Grass.

8. Jesus

Jesus
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I'm gonna see if I cant get some of those online.

9. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

Some of them are out of print now, but you can find copies of them through www.addall.com a book search site.:thumbsup:

10. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

This is a nonfiction book about avoiding becoming a victim of violent crime and dealing with it if you find yourself the target of one. Very interesting book, and must reading for anybody interested in survival. The author interviewed many people who survived attacks and talks a lot about our intuition which often warns us about "something being wrong" with a situation, but which we often ignore because of various reasons, many of which aren't good reasons.:upeyes: Some women, for example, ignore those warnings in some situations because they don't want to make a scene, and they end up getting raped or killed. :shocked: Isn't making a scene better than that?

Just finished another fiction story to add to the list, too. It's A Gift Upon the Shore, by M.K. Wren. Not too bad a book, but it's got that one little detail that annoys me about a lot of modern stories and movies. Any time they mention survivalists in them, they have to be bad guys(generally reveals a bit of a "liberal" bias on the author's part). Means they've fallen for the media stereotype of the camo-clad, gun-toting survivalist.:upeyes: Like the Holnists in The Postman.
    Still, it wasn't too bad a book. I've added it to my list and my collection.:)

11. 917MDS

917MDS
    Expand Collapse

+1

The gift of fear is a great book. Points are illustrated with true stories instead of hypotheticals.

12. steelhorses

steelhorses
    Expand Collapse

Just finished Stephen King's book "The Stand". Amazing story of survival, good vs evil in a post apocalyptic world. There's a six hour mini-series that is supposed to be pretty good, actually written by Stephen King so it's true to the story. Gonna have to hunt it down somewhere.

13. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

The Stand is pretty good(at least parts of it are). Since Stephen King was involved in making it, they stuck pretty close to the book.
    I just wish he had taken the time to write a better ending.:upeyes:

14. tmiller1116

tmiller1116
    Expand Collapse

Ok. I am probably going to send some people over the edge with this one and end up getting flamed to death….but here goes….

I recently went back and re-read "Patriots" again... the first time there was something that nagged at me, but I couldn't put my finger on it... so I read it again. Still wasn't sure what it was, but now that some time has passed, I think I finally figured it out.

The story is fine and all... I enjoyed reading it. Don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against the author personally. However there is one aspect that overshadows the entire book in an almost subliminal way. That something is arrogance.

I know its “TEOTWAWKI” and all that, but the characters end up doing some things that really bother me. Further, I am even more bothered when I start to think that most (if not all) writers of fiction insinuate themselves and their thoughts and beliefs into their stories.

In the story, as I recall, after everyone is safely ensconced in their retreat, there are some incidents with people passing by. On more than one occasion they stop, detain, disarm, interrogate and pass judgment on others. Now supposedly these are solid, law-abiding, Christian people. Being the case, their religious beliefs should have stopped them from some the things they did. If they are true believers in the Constitution (which it would seem to indicate they are) then what they do flies in the very face of that document and what it stands for. Either way, they appear to be in direct conflict with their beliefs.

We even have a case where a couple of people are determined to be engaging in cannibalism, and one of the characters shoots them…. In my book that is murder. They are not empowered to be judge and jury. I know some will say, “but there was no law after SHTF!” My answer is “so what?” Whether cannibal, looter or any other despicable life form, (even just the mundanely ill-equipped) the characters decide who is “good” or “bad”.

Someone has a stash of watches on them? Looter. Kill him.

Just because someone has chosen to gather useless items after SHTF does not mean you have the right to punish him. *(If they were trying to loot from you, that is different of course since we would have caught them red-handed) Without witnesses, a trial or any other form of civilized structure, the characters have decided that their way is the “right” way. They have been magically endowed with the ability to know who deserves to live or die.

I do NOT advocate that they should have ignored the law-breakers. I do not say the “evil” people are right, should be running around free, or any other bleeding heart liberal ideology. But they did NOT have the right to do the things they did. Violating what is right to “fight evil” does not make it right.

Stopping people on the road as they pass by your land in the old days was how the elite upper class treated people. It’s no different in this case. For that matter, if there “is no law now” then by what right do they lay claim to the land they inhabit? Land deeds are only government documents recognizing a person’s exclusive right to use that piece of land. If the law is “gone”, so is the only entity that legally recognizes your “ownership”.

Putting the question of ownership aside, stopping people at the gate, having them move along, and even coercing them through a show of superior firepower are all acceptable means of protecting oneself. Unilaterally detaining, disarming and questioning people is WRONG. They become no better than the neighborhood bully who forces things to be done his way.

If you have read this far, thanks for hanging with me. To sum it up, while it is of course a work of fiction and characters often do things we don’t think should or would be done, that is not what finally bothered me the most about the story…. As I stated earlier, writers put their own beliefs into the things they create. SO my question becomes, does the author truly feel that he is so morally superior that he has the ability to act in this manner?

If he does, then I fear for him, his family and his friends.

15. WSC36

WSC36
    Expand Collapse

Dang it, yet another similarity between that book and mine. Never read it either. I was recently talking to a co-worker about that one though.

I am not in the position to defend said author. I will say, just because some authors transpose their own views onto their characters this does not mean all do. Guilt by association?

I think it more likely this happens with protagonists than antagonists. And even with the protagonists, sometimes in the effort to portray a 'flawed' character, some things are not necessarily the author's own views.

Concerning cannibals, I guess I threw in the obligatory cannibal scene into my book. The question is, did they kill the people they ate or did they come across 'roadkill'? I think it matters.

In the absence of courts, what do you do? Let murderers go? Jails are a luxury of civilized society, if you are already starving yourself, do you house and feed prisioners? Not likely.

I imagine in an EOTWAWKI scenario, capital punishment would be both swift and common. Born of necessity rather than arrogance.

Of course, in the case of my characters feeding the cannibal to the pig, well...maybe I did go over the top a little. But, dang it, it fit the personalities of the characters who did it.

16. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

I read Patriots, and liked it ok, but didn't think it was one of the best post-apocalyptic books I'd ever read. Anyway, after TSHTF I wouldn't say "there won't be ANY law." I'd say the only law there is is what you(or your group) can enforce. Some areas will have a lot of law, and other areas will probably have none, but the main law will probably be the "law of the jungle".

17. redman84

redman84
    Expand Collapse

Get Patriots b Jim Rawles. It is a TEOTWAWKI manual wrapped in a fun fiction novel. For the book and other info go to his blog http://www.survivalblog.com/. It is updated often and is quite usefull.

18. James Cox

James Cox
    Expand Collapse

Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski.
    I think it should be required reading for anyone wishing/forced to spend extended time outdoors.

19. Priest

Priest
    Expand Collapse

Patriots is OK and as others say it does read more like an instruction manual with a story tossed in.

For a good little hand book pick up a 1977 edition Boy Scout handbook.

20. tsmo1066

tsmo1066
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Smiley

I can't believe nobody here has mentioned the "Foxfire" collections. The Foxfire books represent a GREAT collection of Appalachian folklore, stories and detailed information on practical skills ranging on everything from the recognition and use of medicinal plants to how to build a butter churn and how to preserve meats and vegetables.

The whole collection started out as a high school research project back in the 70s when a teacher realized that as the last of the elderly, true "mountain folk" up in the Appalachias slowly died away, two hundred years of mountain know-how, lore and skills would die off with them unless someone recorded it. Thus, the "Foxfire" project was born and his students began interviewing these mountain folks, collecting their stories and documenting their skills.

The project wound up lasting something like 20 years and the stories and skill demonstrations by the mountain folk were documented in school articles that were later compiled into the Foxfire books. If you want a really interesting read on everything from Appalachian ghost stories to detailed instructions on how to select safe mushrooms in the forest, treat illnesses with wild plants, or trap wild game, the Foxfire books are a must.

You can even learn how to build a working musket the 18th century way. ;-)