Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Survival books

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Biscuitsjam, Dec 19, 2006.

1. windplex

Aug 2, 2005
    Just finished reading this book by former green beret: Don Paul
    Quick read; good info, IMO.
    Coosing a survival firearm
    Combat gunnery
    Homemade weapons
    Transportation in grubby times (no power/fuel)
    At home in the middle of no where
    Making chain saw your bes friend (make shelter and furnature and fell trees)
    Escape and Evasion

Has other books in series and I intend to purhase more. A bit dated -- likely written i 1980's but info is 97% useful. We have some new weapons since then but he speaks in theory: field of fire. Close to your weapon's useful range or move out to our weapon's max range depending on what weapon you are up against -- so still useful.

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

Thanks for the suggestion. Great book! But I got it for $3.99 used from amazon. ;)
    I also recommend it. This is dense with old time wisdom. Much better than the modern books which have lots of great titles but light on usefull substance.

3. XM15carbine

Sep 7, 2005
    Did you get the 1980s version?

I see there is also a 1997 version, anyone read the two?
  4. Lurk_n_Load

Nov 9, 2003

I bought the 1997 version new; I had previously ordered the 1980 edition at a cheap price but it arrived with mildew, so I had to toss it. This is a GREAT book to have. If SHTF, this will be more valuable than a dozen cases of ammo. (but have both, just in case!)

ETA: The 1997 edition contains virtually all the info that is in the 1981 version; I've compared them side by side.
  5. XM15carbine

Sep 7, 2005
    Thanks for the info :)
  6. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

1981 edition. Dirty cover but the pages are nearly mint. Appears unread. Slight yellowing. Too bad this isn't printed on acid-free paper to last longer.

7. tmiller1116

Mar 15, 2007
    PAC NW
  8. scotter79

Jan 29, 2007
    The zombie survival guide, by Max Brooks. Cause you never know....
  9. ebigfish

ebigfish FinsUp! FinsUp!

Feb 28, 2003
  10. tonyc

tonyc Damn sheeple

Feb 14, 2007
    South of Tonk City
  11. Primalscream

Feb 23, 2007
    Oh man! I just finished reading this post-apocalyptic fiction novel, and I have to say that it was phenomenal!

(This reviewer from Amazon sums it up best):
    "The Road" is a work of stunning, savage, heartbreaking beauty. Set in the post-apocalyptic hell of an unending nuclear winter, Cormac McCarthy writes about a nameless man and his young son, wandering through a world gone crazy; bleak, cold, dark, where the snow falls down gray; moving south toward the coast, looking somewhere, anywhere, for life and warmth. Nothing grows in this blasted world; people turn into cannibals to survive. We don't know if we're looking at the aftermath of a nuclear war, or maybe an extinction level event -- an asteroid or a comet; McCarthy deliberately doesn't tell us, and we come to realize it doesn't matter anyway. Whether man or nature threw a wild pitch, the world is just as dead.
  12. windplex

Aug 2, 2005
    Any suggestions for a good book for ranging targets using binoculars or standard objects in the environment? (ways other than a range finder?) Thank you!
  13. SeriousStudent

Dec 15, 2004
    That's a pretty neat guide. I may just print parts of that out, and put it in the vehicle kits I gave to my sisters.

Thanks! :)
  14. Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    I wrote this elsewhere, so I'll repost it here:

Well, I'm not an expert on long-range shooting, and the most I've ever shot with a rifle is 300 meters. However, I did learn a few things in tank gunnery.

The best way to estimate range is to use the hash marks on your binoculars or rifle optics. These hash marks measure off 1 "mil" (milli-radian) intervals. Basically, an object one meter tall will be almost exactly 1 mil high at 1000 meters. It you know the height of your target, you can figure out the distance. If you know the distance, you can figure out the height.

Height in meters = H
    Distance in kilometers = D
    Mils on your binos = M

Basic Equation:
    H / D = M

To solve for distance using a known height:
    H / M = D

To solve for height using a known distance:
    D * M = H

Let's make it really simple and use a tall man who is exactly 2 meters tall (approximate 6'7") as your target. He would be:
    1 mil at 2000 meters
    2 mils at 1000 meters
    4 mils at 500 meters
    8 mils at 250 meters
    16 mils at 125 meters

Obviously, most men aren't this tall and you won't usually know the exact height of your target, so you have to guess. Here are a few more precise numbers if you want a better estimate:

2 mils at 880 meters - Average American male
    2 mils at 820 meters - Average American female (or average North Korean male)
    2 mils at 1200 meters - Abrams Tank
    2 mils at 940 meters - Humvee

The math is simple enough that you should be able to do it in your head, and after you do it for a while, it'll become instinctive. If you have some trouble working this out in your head, there are shortcuts. For instance, my tank commander just estimated for a 2-meter object, then adjusted to get a decent estimate (minus 10% for a somewhat tall man, minus 20% for a somewhat short woman, etc.).

This method gets you a very quick and fairly accurate estimate of the actual distance to your target. Too easy.
  15. Downloadable books in PDF

Right click the links and save.

Tracking (.08mb)

US Army Survival Manual (FM 21-76) (2.7mb)

Nature Observation & Tracking (.03mb)

US Army Map Reading and Land Navagation (Field Manual 21-26) (.07mb)

Knots & Splices (1.3mb)

The Art of Travel by Francis Galton 1855 (23mb)

alt link

Aids to Survival - Western Australia (.7mb)

US Military Survival, Evasion and Recovery (FM 21-76-1) (3mb)

Peter McLaren Axe Manual (1930) (3mb)

Solar box cooking (.3mb)

Article about the Ethics of Gatherings (1mb)

Canadian Scout manual (1.6mb)

Pioneering knots and lashings (2mb)

Essentials of archery (2mb) of archery.pdf

Hunting with a Bow and Arrow (2.2mb)

Blacksmithing (4mb

Woodsmanship (1954) (5.2mb)

Handbok OVERLEVNAD (7.5mb) (Swedish but lots of pics)

Experiments on Knife Sharpening (8mb)

Camp Life in the Woods and the tricks or Trapping and Trap Making (12.8mb)